User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Will monitoring replace medicine?

Or at least Drs and health professionals as diagnosticians?

I mean if you have machinery such as mobile phones which can track all behaviour and habits of an individual which updates itself with the latest research findings and provides concise information and direction to users would it or could it replace Drs and health professionals in diagnostic roles?

It would assume a degree of personal responsibility and personal competence on the part of users but that's a different question and I dont know that Drs and nurses are going to be significant in influencing that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

NB I've been watching a BBC TV show about this, it stated that the one thing which could be prescribed which would improve everyones health irrespective of their vulnerability and personal physiology is exercise and that a digital revolution in health and body information, including choices and consequences, could be as significant for longer and healthier lives as the discovery of anti-biotics or penicilin.

I think people will get out of control with this all this monitoring and it will become oppressive and depressive rather than helpful. They'll start preemptively doing things they have no business doing, and will not act appropriately in response to the data they are seeing. I see fatigue at having to deal with this ahead. It's inevitable. And it's only a matter of time before they try to integrate this monitoring into another goal or checkmark at 9-5 jobs, making it even more miserable to have to do it.

EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE THIS BS MONITORED, COMPANY POLICY. "FOR INSURANCE AND LIABILITY PURPOSES." "NO, IT'S BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT YOU AND WANT YOU TO BE AS HEALTHY AND AWARE AS YOU CAN BE."

Bullshit.

People have a way of taking everything that's good or promising and turning it on it's head until it's worthless and misery inducing.

As for your specific question, why would it replace medicine? If something were to go wrong, then the monitoring would (hopefully) bring that to light quickly such that the proper doctors could be seen, and the proper treatment/medicine dispensed. If you mean something like monitoring your health lowering the chances you'll do something stupid to ruin it, then yea, I could see that. There's also the case where the monitoring advances enough that medicine accompanies the monitoring device, and can be programmatically dispensed in the event the technology sees something wrong. This would lessen but not eliminate the need for doctors, as most common cases would be automatically taken care of. If not done properly, then we'll go from the pill popping nation to the drugged up whether you want to be or not nation. There'll be a market for hacks that fake the drug dispensing process, because it will all be so riddled with BS, that people will rebel at being forced to have to do it (though as usual "the ones in charge" will make it seem as though it's optional).

You're on a roll for creating some of the stupidest threads, ever.

No. I don't think monitoring, although helpful, is the same as diagnosis by a professional trained to recognize illnesses and abnormalities.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think radiologists are on the way to being replaced by automation.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I think radiologists are on the way to being replaced by automation.
    I doubt it. Can a robot make decisions, especially when a problem requires an unusual solution?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I do think there is a lot of potential in preventive medicine. It is a model that is quite sucessfully applied in some Latin American countries that, considering their finances, have a very good health service. It is both cheaper and more sucessful than models applied in many richer industrial countries.

Selfdiagnosis however is a dangerous thing.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I doubt it. Can a robot make decisions, especially when a problem requires an unusual solution?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/he...anted=all&_r=0
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

@Honor

That article is about medicare and cutting spendings? I skimmed over it and it doesnt seem to make mention of automation doing the job of a human.