User Tag List

123 Last

Default Richard Dawkins good guy or bad guy?

On INTJ forum he and his agenda are popular and probably he is a INTJ.
    So I am wondering how it is on this forum and what other types think about him.

For those of you who don't know he is a leader of scientific group that wants to exterminate all religions.

Link for more information

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I'm not sure that he is "good" or "bad" on the basis of his anti-theism.

His ideas are interesting. He has creative anectdotes and offers some unusual clarity into the improbability of a creator-deity. The Ultimate Boeing 747 is a good summary of his stance.

That said, I always cringe when people try to logically arm-wrestle personal beliefs. The quintessential element of religion - faith - exists outside of traditional logical framework, as it fundamentally deals with unempirical psychological modes. These stations are intimate to the believer (or non-believer) and have no legitimate basis within the context of the scientific method of analysis.

Religion is unavoidably alogical.

Brilliant, but misguided is probably a better estimation of Dawkins.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    ...For those of you who don't know he is a leader of scientific group that wants to exterminate all religions.
    While he's an outspoken advocate against religion, I doubt I would have chosen to define him primarily in that vein.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

He offers rather medicore arguments against religion.

MBTI
    ISFJ

For those of you who don't know he is a leader of scientific group that wants to exterminate all religions.
    He's a brilliant evolutionary biologist. As far as I know he's not the leader of any group whatsoever. He pioneered the gene-oriented view of evolution. He probably is an INTJ. He's very intolerant of religion, but I've never heard any religious person get the better of Dawkins in a debate.

He is not leader of some group but he is a symbol/voice of scientific ateism in modern politics.
    But there is a large group of scientist that are standing behind him but group is not formal.
    So from my viewpoint is he a leader , is a matter of classification. I just wanted to keep things simple.
    I know he is a evolutionary scientist and quite respected one.
    Also to clarify my position: I have bought/go through many of his book and evolution is part of my future profession.

But real purpose of this thread is question.

Should religion be removed from society?

INTJ forum mostly says yes so what does MBTIc says about this?
    I did not wanted to be direct that much but it looks like I will have to be.
    Last edited by Virtual ghost; 07-06-2008 at 09:56 AM.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Should religion be removed from society?

INTJ forum mostly says yes so what does MBTIc says about this?
    I did not wanted to be direct that much but it looks like I will have to be.
    Before we could answer that question, I think we would have to know why people need religion. What causes a person to be religious/superstitious/have mystical thoughts?

I think Dawkins tries to imply that it is either religious upbringing or lack of education that are the main causes. I don't agree with this.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Before we could answer that question, I think we would have to know why people need religion. What causes a person to be religious/superstitious/have mystical thoughts?

I think Dawkins tries to imply that it is either religious upbringing or lack of education that are the main causes. I don't agree with this.
    What it is then?

Also I don't what for anybody to feel persecuted I just want serious conversation about it.

It would be really good if someone would actually expalain why religion is so important to him/her.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

What it is then?

Also I don't what for anybody to feel persecuted I just want serious conversation about it.

It would be really good if someone would actually expalain why religion is so important to him/her.
    I don't have a definitive answer. And I am not personally religious, so I cannot tell you why it is important to me.

I suspect that an attachment to religion has its basis in the emotions. People 'feel' like there is something else, something spiritual that exists outside of explanation or understanding. I would also attribute it in part, as Dawkins does, to a tendency for magical thinking and solipsism (which, I should add, everyone is guilty of at some time or other).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    He's very intolerant of religion, but I've never heard any religious person get the better of Dawkins in a debate.
    Alister E. McGrath?