User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default A hypothetical question about Civil Unions.

Assume for a moment that civil unions are legally equivalent to marriage, and that the only difference between the two is the name.

Keeping in mind that Civil Unions are open to hetero folks. Who if they wished, could get CU'd as an objection to the exclusion of gay folks in Marriage.

Why then argue to call it marriage?

EDIT - I really didn't want to post this, as I know I'm going to take insane amounts of shit for it, but I really want an answer to that question.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Assume for a moment that black water fountains are legally equivalent to white water fountains, and that the only difference between the two is the name.

Keeping in mind that black water fountains are open to white folks. Who if they wished, could use the black fountain as an objection to the exclusion of black folks from the white fountains.

Why then argue to call them all water fountains?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Assume for a moment that black water fountains are legally equivalent to white water fountains, and that the only difference between the two is the name.

Keeping in mind that black water fountains are open to white folks. Who if they wished, could use the black fountain as an objection to the exclusion of black folks from the white fountains.

Why then argue to call them all water fountains?
    That's a touching anecdote, but not really an answer.

Why indeed? A toadstool by any other name...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    That's a touching anecdote, but not really an answer.
    Sure it is-- that's why people are arguing against CU as a solution to the gay marriage issue. Because it effectively sets up a separate-but-equal situation.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This question is as good as the reverse. If they are identical, why do you need heterosexual ones called marriage and homosexual ones not called marriage? There must be some reason you want that word for heterosexual relations alone.

I can't see any reason for the difference except to symbolically say that heterosexual partnerships are somehow more special or sacred than homosexual ones. If there were really nothing to the name, I don't anyone would give a shit about the definition.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sure it is-- that's why people are arguing against CU as a solution to the gay marriage issue. Because it effectively sets up a separate-but-equal situation.
    But segregation wasn't equal. And in my hypothetical above, I stated that CU's are functionally equivalent with Marriage, and that you can start a movement to get heteros to get CU'd as a protest against the exclusion of gay folks. Which I think would be quite popular among the New York Times set.

And you don't have to call it a civil union, you can come up with whatever you want except marriage.

I am surprised that folks are desperate to adopt the nomenclature of an institution that excludes, or has excluded them in the past.

So would a rose by any other name not smell quite so sweet?

But segregation wasn't equal. And in my hypothetical above, I stated that CU's are functionally equivalent with Marriage, and that you can start a movement to get heteros to get CU'd as a protest against the exclusion of gay folks. Which I think would be quite popular among the New York Times set.

And you don't have to call it a civil union, you can come up with whatever you want except marriage.

I am surprised that folks are desperate to adopt the nomenclature of an institution that excludes, or has excluded them in the past.

This isn't about equality as much as it's about acceptance.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It's the same thing, and it's very condescending to tell people that they are equal but cannot have equal names for things. You could use it with lots of (important) things. E.g 'Adoption'. How bout we all have 'Adoption' but people who are over fourty can only call it 'Foster Care' when infact it is still exactly adoption, just the name is different

You forget of the social stigma and the connotations of being unmarried and in a civil partnership. Ok you could argue that that's other peoples problem but it still exists. But it's more about stopping homophobic differentiation.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Seriously. The question is; why is it so important for the word marriage to be applied only to a man and a woman?
    Go to sleep, iguana.