User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you're advocating a government that regulates vocabulary.
    No. The word vocabulary infers that multiple terms or the language generally will be affected.

I'm advocating recognition of the distinction between civil and religious unions, and the use of different words to reference the same.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you're advocating a government that regulates vocabulary.
    Can we ban the word "sopping"? Don't walk in here with your sopping wet clothes! What, is soaking not good enough for you?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm advocating recognition of the distinction between civil and religious unions, and the use of different words to reference the same.
    Then you should be against any legal institution called 'marriage'. Be consistent.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Can we ban the word "sopping"? Don't walk in here with your sopping wet clothes! What, is soaking not good enough for you?
    Compromise -- "Soaping"? *hopeful*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then you should be against any legal institution called 'marriage'. Be consistent.
    I am against the legal institution being called marriage, that's what this whole thing has been about.

Holy rite of matrimony = marriage

Civil Union = what ever word you want except ^

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Compromise -- "Soaping"? *hopeful*
    Soaping is fine. Just don't use sopping!
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

I am against the legal institution being called marriage, that's what this whole thing has been about.

Holy rite of matrimony = marriage

Civil Union = what ever word you want except ^
    Well, that has been everything but clear. I was under the impression you wanted two legal institutions, one for straight people, called marriage, and one for deviants, called civil union (or whatever).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well, that has been everything but clear. I was under the impression you wanted two legal institutions, one for straight people, called marriage, and one for deviants, called civil union (or whatever).
    The only difference between the two legally (besides the name), is that one occurred in a church and the other did not.

If the legal institutions were different, I would worry about the equality between the two.

The only difference between the two legally (besides the name), is that one occurred in a church and the other did not.
    Actually, if a church performed a ceremony that resulted in the creation of such a legally binding contract, it should seen as both a marriage and a civil union, the marriage being the religious voodoo, the civil union the important part.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Actually, if a church performed a ceremony that resulted in the creation of such a legally binding contract, it should seen as both a marriage and a civil union, the marriage being the religious voodoo, the civil union the important part.
    Given that the institutions would be legally equivalent, the court would see both as civil unions functionally, but call one marriage and the other something else.

There would obviously be religious documentation reflecting the establishment of a marriage under the holy right of matrimony, but that doesn't involve the legal system in any way.