User Tag List

123 Last

Default Thousands of people want to be Paris Hilton and no one wants to be Spiderman?

This line in Kick Ass, which I'm just watching, interested me and I decided to post a thread about it.

When I was growing up I wanted to be The Punisher and later, when the movie came out from Tim Burton, Batman, in between times there were a bunch of military hero archetypes, like Rambo and Arnie in Commando, when I was younger I used to watch all the animated features like He Man and The Masters of The Universe and the like and while I was glad the good guys won I always found the bad guys more interesting and tried to guess if they had more depth or not than the good guys, what was everyone else's experience?

Also, do heroes only exist in imagination or popular culture or not?

Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think the bad guys are usually cooler, and I relate to them more, its easier for me to relate to the Green Goblin for example, than to Peter Parker. Id be intesesting to know why, though I dont know why, I know people who dont relate to or like bad guys at all, it irks them to even think they could relate to a bad guy, but I guess thats why I relate to them: because it is forbidden to do so, that meaning not that "forbidden fruits are sweeter" or anything like that, I just pity them because noone is allowed to relate to them.

MBTI
    INTJ

"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Who in God's name wants to be Paris Hilton?!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No one even cares who Paris Hilton is anymore Lark. That isn't even soooo last year, that's like 5-7 years ago.

And trust me, plenty of dorks want to be bitten by a poisonous spider so they can have cool magic tricks and a costume to ostensibly "save the world."

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Also, do heroes only exist in imagination or popular culture or not?
    I think Snowden might be a hero. The greatest heroism requires being aware of risk, and doing the right thing anyway, even though you know it may cause you great harm.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a despicable terrorist, though. And say what you want about the Burmese dictatorship, they're better for Burma than the British overlords. They are at least Burmese. Therefore, they should be supported at whatever cost.

If Suu Kyi cares about freedom so much, why does she never criticize the British for ruling over them?

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think the bad guys are usually cooler, and I relate to them more, its easier for me to relate to the Green Goblin for example, than to Peter Parker. Id be intesesting to know why, though I dont know why, I know people who dont relate to or like bad guys at all, it irks them to even think they could relate to a bad guy, but I guess thats why I relate to them: because it is forbidden to do so, that meaning not that "forbidden fruits are sweeter" or anything like that, I just pity them because noone is allowed to relate to them.
    Bad guys have vices and pettiness like us. Traditional heroes are not permitted any because they could not serve as an idealized archetype for us to aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini
    And trust me, plenty of dorks want to be bitten by a poisonous spider so they can have cool magic tricks and a costume to ostensibly "save the world."
    I'm sure you never encountered a fictional character you admired or considered emulating. Religion certainly doesn't work that way, either.

I've met a hell of a lot of women who are obsessed with "saving the world," so it's not really a male thing, although it may take on different forms.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I would have been happy to have been Batgirl or one of the Wonder Twins or Aquaman or one of Charlie's Angels when I was a kid. Or Mowgli or Lucy Pevensie or Violet Alden, etc. Not Sarah Crewe or Mary Lennox, though. They went through too much hell before things got better.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

One thing that springs to mind is that "villains" seem less restricted that heroes, which makes them more capable of living up to their potential. Take Jean Grey, for instance. When she's a goody she's barely effective. She has to rely heavily on the support of other heroes. Together they are barely sufficient to tackle whomever they're tackling. Then she goes rogue, becomes a baddy and becomes totally kickass. Likewise with Nightcrawler. When he was being mind-controlled into being a baddy he was damn near unstoppable. When he was a goody he was at best useful.

I won't touch the Paris Hilton bit.

I think the Paris Hilton bit is about wealth and the superhero bit is about doing good and living an extraordinary/eventful existence.

The actual comic is a bit different from the film (its one thing that I think the film improved on the comic) in so far that the comic has Big Daddy grooming Hit Girl to be a superhero simply because he doesnt want her to grow up obsessed with reality TV, the mall and consumerism.

Its an interesting one because fighting crime because of ennui or alienation at mundanity seems a bit wild, also most of the people who I know who generate the greatest amount of "volume" for the authorities, society in general and their family are the people who're living addicted to the drama and cant handle a day going by that they'd simply describe as "nothing special" or "uneventful".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If you're batman you get buttloads of money and an extraordinary/eventful existence. And so many cool toys. I think I want to be Batman. I hope my husband likes red, yellow, and green spandex . . .
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers