User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

It's a funny thing in America that everyone seems to think that they have money because they worked harder than everyone else and deserve it, and the people that don't have money are lazy charity cases.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Better than what? Paying your own bills?
    The systemic problems of American healthcare. It inflicts what any reasonable first-world person sees as an inhumane abuse on its citizens at large.

I'm not American, but I am in my 4th year living in the USA. I've always been fully insured by my American employer, I'm now well-versed with the health care system. I think it's ridiculous that it's not nationalized.

This is the third country I've lived in, and the most egregiously bad at health care. I much prefer the nationalized healthcare system of my commonwealth home country. I would like to emphasize that the 3rd country I've lived in was in Africa, and I think the American system is the most flawed of all of them.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    yupp

I hate politics in America I'm just gonna go leave when i have money.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Have you got a fixed job offer? I am asking because Switzerland has very strict laws on immigration and only a small number of available work permits for Non-EU citizens each year.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Ah, Switzerland... that wonderful country in the center of Europe where everything happens, new fashions emerge, the young go crazy on acids, and the european cream of literates and artists comes together.... not.

Switzerland. aka cold, rules, clean, boring, mountains and william tell.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yeah. I don't consider taxes stealing. But you and I do not appear to have the same ideas about morality, which is fine. Funny thing to me is that most of my religious conservative family share your ideas about taxes when Jesus specifically said that we ought to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and at that time Caesar was doing a lot worse things than helping sick people. IMO. Different strokes.
    And yet my religious conservative friend Richard takes a more literal interpretation of the NT by gladly paying his income taxes every year, because Jesus said so.

He also prays on the edge of his bed every night with his forehead on his clenched hands.

He is against gay marriage and he is against allowing gays into his church.

He is also one of the nicest people I have ever met.

He doesn't own any guns, he doesn't swear or drink (except a beer once in a while).

Richard destroys all stereotypes of right-wing "extremists" by his very existence.

I have often heard, however, that morality often includes taking care of your neighbor (as yourself).

The moral question is, for me, a philosophical one. How does this tenet fit into the Categorical Imperative? If a true moral tenet, then is it absolutely or only relatively true?

So I'll ask you: is universal health care absolutely moral or only relatively moral? If it is only relatively moral, where do you draw the line, and why?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Have you got a fixed job offer? I am asking because Switzerland has very strict laws on immigration and only a small number of available work permits for Non-EU citizens each year.
    No job offer, and I have no idea about these kinds of details. It's not like we're moving immediately.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    The systemic problems of American healthcare. It inflicts what any reasonable first-world person sees as an inhumane abuse on its citizens at large.

I'm not American, but I am in my 4th year living in the USA. I've always been fully insured by my American employer, I'm now well-versed with the health care system. I think it's ridiculous that it's not nationalized.

This is the third country I've lived in, and the most egregiously bad at health care. I much prefer the nationalized healthcare system of my commonwealth home country. I would like to emphasize that the 3rd country I've lived in was in Africa, and I think the American system is the most flawed of all of them.
    I don't know why. My wife has free health care already, all she had to do was prove income and sign some papers. But she probably (most likely) won't be eligible for Obamacare, nor can we afford the rates.

Looks to me like the system we have now is better.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    It's a funny thing in America that everyone seems to think that they have money because they worked harder than everyone else and deserve it, and the people that don't have money are lazy charity cases.
    I live here and I don't see anybody believing that those who don't have money are lazy charity cases.

But I can tell you that those who have money tend to think they worked harder than everybody else. It's not that they didn't work harder (they often did!), the fact is they often had a leg up in the world, and that it wasn't all by their own efforts (as they will also tell you).

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I live here and I don't see anybody believing that those who don't have money are lazy charity cases.
    I hear that all the time, not that anyone uses those exact words.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78