User Tag List

First 1422232425 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The Big Kludge

It’s true that the Affordable Care Act isn’t as complex as opponents make it out to be. Basically, it requires that insurance companies offer the same policies to everyone; it requires that each individual then buy one of these policies (the individual mandate); and it offers subsidies, depending on income, to keep insurance affordable.

Still, there’s a lot for people to go through. Not only do they have to choose insurers and plans, they have to submit a lot of personal information so the government can determine the size of their subsidies. And the software has to integrate all this information, getting it to all the relevant parties — which isn’t happening yet on the federal site.

Imagine, now, a much simpler system in which the government just pays your major medical expenses. In this hypothetical system you wouldn’t have to shop for insurance, nor would you have to provide lots of personal details. The government would be your insurer, and you’d be covered automatically by virtue of being an American.

Of course, we don’t have to imagine such a system, because it already exists. It’s called Medicare, it covers all Americans 65 and older, and it’s enormously popular. So why didn’t we just extend that system to cover everyone?

The proximate answer was politics: Medicare for all just wasn’t going to happen, given both the power of the insurance industry and the reluctance of workers who currently have good insurance through their employers to trade that insurance for something new. Given these political realities, the Affordable Care Act was probably all we could get — and make no mistake, it will vastly improve the lives of tens of millions of Americans.

Still, the fact remains that Obamacare is an immense kludge — a clumsy, ugly structure that more or less deals with a problem, but in an inefficient way.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

46% Oppose Single-Payer Health Care System

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nearly half of voters nationwide continue to oppose a health care system in which the government provides coverage for everyone, but there is predictable partisan disagreement.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 38% of Likely Voters favor a single-payer health care system, while 46% oppose such a system. Another 16% are not sure.
    Womp womp....

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Wow, single payer is approaching the unpopularity of the Republican party!

I personally advocate plenty of policies that do not have popular support, as does just about anyone that has any clue about policy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I hear unhappy stories from people in other countries and it worries me that we will lose our cutting edge medical care.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Some health insurance gets pricier as Obamacare rolls out

Many middle-class Californians with individual health plans are surprised they need policies that cover more — and cost more.

But middle-income consumers face an estimated 30% rate increase, on average, in California due to several factors tied to the healthcare law.

Some may elect to go without coverage if they feel prices are too high. Penalties for opting out are very small initially. Defections could cause rates to skyrocket if a diverse mix of people don't sign up for health insurance.

Pam Kehaly, president of Anthem Blue Cross in California, said she received a recent letter from a young woman complaining about a 50% rate hike related to the healthcare law.

"She said, 'I was all for Obamacare until I found out I was paying for it,'" Kehaly said.

Nearly 2 million Californians have individual insurance, and several hundred thousand of them are losing their health plans in a matter of weeks.

Blue Shield of California sent termination letters to 119,000 customers last month whose plans don't meet the new federal requirements. About two-thirds of those people will experience a rate increase from switching to a new health plan, according to the company.

HMO giant Kaiser Permanente is canceling coverage for about half of its individual customers, or 160,000 people, and offering to automatically enroll them in the most comparable health plan available.

The 16 million Californians who get health insurance through their employers aren't affected. Neither are individuals who have "grandfathered" policies bought before March 2010, when the healthcare law was enacted. It's estimated that about half of policyholders in the individual market have those older plans.

All these cancellations were prompted by a requirement from Covered California, the state's new insurance exchange. The state didn't want to give insurance companies the opportunity to hold on to the healthiest patients for up to a year, keeping them out of the larger risk pool that will influence future rates.

Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California, said the state and insurers agreed that clearing the decks by Jan. 1 was best for consumers in the long run despite the initial disruption. Lee has heard the complaints — even from his sister-in-law, who recently groused about her 50% rate increase.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Obey-meCare
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

The ACA isn't that extreme - it covers the 50 million uninsured and finances that by theoretically forcing 1/3 of the pool to be young and healthy.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    So you believe that people should have to pay taxes to take care of their neighbors.

Charity is moral. Stealing is not.
    So that is why you are moving to Switzerland, famous for its libertarian economy?

Maybe you should move somewhere with no welfare state, like Somalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    So that is why you are moving to Switzerland, famous for its libertarian economy?

Maybe you should move somewhere with no welfare state, like Somalia.
    It sucks that I tend to get Switzerland and Sweden mixed up at times.

Was like.... why do you want to move to a place that has one of the best national healthcare in the world?

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I for one would be thrilled to move to Europe, or Canada or NZ...lucky you if you really are moving.

Personally, I am appalled that our country is one of the wealthiest yet still doesn't have universal health care...that is so f**ed up I can't even wrap my head around it. I do find it kind of funny that you are complaining about Obamacare when you would have to pay for basic health care in Switzerland as well.

If you want to escape such requirements of civilization (regulations/mandates) I hear Somalia is lovely this time of year.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell