User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 246

  1. #141
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"
    Why is it ok for you to bring up Christ all of a sudden?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #142
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    whereas corporations (except for non-profit ones) are profit-seeking operations.
    Corporations benefit from civil wars that take place in foreign countries where socialist regimes are deposed to be replaced by capitalist ones. Wars can be quite profitable, that's why World War II facilitated America's recovery from the Great Depression and who could argue that the Iraq war was not profitable? Can you imagine how much it stimulated the demand for military technology? Lucrative racket, isn't it?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  3. #143
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Corporations benefit from civil wars that take place in foreign countries where socialist regimes are deposed to be replaced by capitalist ones. Wars can be quite profitable, that's why World War II facilitated America's recovery from the Great Depression and who could argue that the Iraq war was not profitable? Can you imagine how much it stimulated the demand for military technology? Lucrative racket, isn't it?
    You're losing the point, so I'll help you find your way back to it.

    The difference between corporations and gubmints:

    Corporations don't have the right to start wars. And even if they could invest in AND conduct warfare, wars are too expensive and unprofitable.

    Gubmints have the right to start wars. Gubmints start wars, gubmints drop bombs, gubmints killed hundreds of millions of people in the 20th century through violence and starvation.

    Your argument that corporations profit from gubmint wars, and your argument that politicians are sometimes involved in "big business," don't wash because it evades my point. If corporations could DECLARE wars on other countries, if corporations could drop bombs, if corporations could kill hundreds of millions of people through violence and starvation, then your criticism of EEEEEEVILLL corporations would be on target.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #144
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Why is it ok for you to bring up Christ all of a sudden?
    Why wouldn't it be ok? Do you have a monopoly on his name or something?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #145
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Only a tard thinks Rand was a libertarian.
    "E.g., the Conservative Party, that subordinates reason to faith, and substitutes theocracy for capitalism; or the libertarian hippies, who subordinate reason to whims, and substitute anarchism for capitalism."
    The Ayn Rand Letter
    Vol. 1, No. 7 January 3, 1972
    "What Can One Do?"

    I highlighted the key terms because I know you don't like to read what I write but only what you like to think I wrote.
    Thank you.
    Your appellation is certainly a misnomer, in the context?
    The SRs in Russia had a most anarchist bend. Pravda called the SRs libertarians!
    The economic policy of Lenin, even before NEP, was a way right of the SRs.
    It is easy to confuse people with changing semantics.

    Rand enjoyed the privilege of a cost-free education in Bolshevik Russia.
    Had the SRs been in power, it would never have happened.

    PS. "What can one do?"
    It was a question of Lenin.

  6. #146
    Senior Member pinkgraffiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Here's Switzerland for you:

    BBC News:

    One of the world's richest women, American talk show star ‪#‎Oprah‬ Winfrey, says she believes she was the victim of ‪#‎racism‬ during a recent visit to ‪#‎Switzerland‬.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23626340

    She said an assistant refused to serve her in an upmarket handbag shop in Zurich telling her apparently that the bags on display were "too expensive" for her.

    Ms.Winfrey's claims come amid a political row in Switzerland over plans by some Swiss towns to ban asylum seekers from some public places - plans human rights groups have said are akin to apartheid.

  7. #147
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    Here's Switzerland for you:

    BBC News:

    One of the world's richest women, American talk show star ‪#‎Oprah‬ Winfrey, says she believes she was the victim of ‪#‎racism‬ during a recent visit to ‪#‎Switzerland‬.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23626340

    She said an assistant refused to serve her in an upmarket handbag shop in Zurich telling her apparently that the bags on display were "too expensive" for her.

    Ms.Winfrey's claims come amid a political row in Switzerland over plans by some Swiss towns to ban asylum seekers from some public places - plans human rights groups have said are akin to apartheid.
    I think it's hilarious.

    "Listen, girl, I could buy this entire shop just like that *snap*... But I just want this one bag. So, please, would you show it to me?"

  8. #148
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    In all due fairness, if it was Hermès, a single bag can cost as much as a Ferrari!

    Not many people look like they could afford one.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  9. #149
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    what does that even mean?
    For instance take public employees, specifically teachers (and the union that backs them). The argument is made that by dint of the fact that they are teachers they are more deserving of government largesse (aka ludicrously generous employment contracts with defined benefit pensions that have no basis in sound public finance as Detroit has demonstrated). This argument is also made for public employees generally, that because they are public employees they deserve more generous remuneration than their equivalents in the private sector. This argument has been maintained in the face growing concerns about the financial sustainability of public sector contracts.

    But no, why should we care about the financial well being of our states and cities, when we have a failing school system. Because the only way to fix that problem is throwing money at it, when we already spend more on education than anyone else, with no correlation in improved performance. And any fix besides throwing money at teachers is anathema to the unions even though school choice and charters and other "outside the box" education experiments are paying dividends in student performance.

    Yes Republicans push resources to their constituencies, but at least we don't get on the cross claiming that either you agree with us or you're a moral failure per se.

    Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

  10. #150
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Your appellation is certainly a misnomer, in the context?
    What do you mean by "your appellation"? Are you talking about my display name? Some people think "Mal" is intended to mean "bad," when it's really only a shortened version of my usual online name and hotmail address. People read into things...

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The SRs in Russia had a most anarchist bend. Pravda called the SRs libertarians!
    The economic policy of Lenin, even before NEP, was a way right of the SRs.
    It is easy to confuse people with changing semantics.
    I had to look up the "SRs." Pravda spins everything in a way that fits the party agenda. Can you cite a more reliable and objective source of "changing semantics"?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Rand enjoyed the privilege of a cost-free education in Bolshevik Russia.
    Had the SRs been in power, it would never have happened.

    PS. "What can one do?"
    It was a question of Lenin.
    We don't know what would have happened if the SRs were in power.

    As for "What can one do?", it was a question of European radicalism, of which Rand was definitely a member.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Looks like we are going to Syria
    By The Great One in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM
  2. We are trying to send too many people to college
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  3. Are we all dittoheads to some ideology?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM
  4. Can we know only what we are prepared to know?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
  5. Why are we so attracted to misfortune?
    By Geoff in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO