User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The democrats are always going to have a problem in a country which is a fully signed up member of the plutonomy and that's exactly what Rand was in favour of, a neat like rich mans paradise like her beloved Russia under the Tsars before the commies kicked her out and appropriated her family's cash.
    Interestingly enough, the Democrats aren't having a hard time catering our current regulatory regime to big financial interests.

Dodd-Frank was supposed to wind down too big to fail, and introduce more objective oversight into the industry. But, under its decree we've seen further consolidation of financial interests which, by their growth, makes the financial industry less competitive, and fundamentally more vulnerable to future market disruptions than it was before Dodd-Frank.

Dodd-Frank has taken a dire problem and exacerbated it.

Why do Democrats care more about rigging the game for their electoral constituencies (redistribute resources downward) than fixing the game so that it isn't rigged in the first place?

I'll tell you why because they are every bit as interested in succoring their rent seeking electoral constituencies as you accuse Republicans of being.

While I can't argue that the Republicans don't do this, I can argue that at least we don't contend that doing so is fair innately because of who our voters are. Currently this status quo exists because both parties prefer bending a rigged game to their electoral benefit than creating a legislative framework that can't be bent.

The democrats are always going to have a problem in a country which is a fully signed up member of the plutonomy and that's exactly what Rand was in favour of, a neat like rich mans paradise like her beloved Russia under the Tsars before the commies kicked her out and appropriated her family's cash.
    I wouldnt want Stalin to be my heir either...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Is this your plutocracy?

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Jesus ate with the lepers and spoke with the Pharisees. I can easily seem Him treating gay people with certain dignity.
    I was talking about your devout friend, not Jesus. By all accounts Jesus was a stand up guy, and I do not recall him saying things like "don't be gay" or "don't attend church if you are".

If Richard followed the letter of the Law, and not the spirit of it, he would be constrained to follow Leviticus 20:13 -
    "If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."

Since he doesn't, I submit that he's following the laws of the US which apparently have been tempered by NT teachings, the ancient Greek philosophers, and Western European philosophy.
    Yes, but let's not discount the fact that according to the secular law of the land, murder of someone based on their sexual orientation is frowned upon, and generally results in long term imprisonment and possibly even an execution. I'm sure that serves as a deterrent, philosophical teachings aside.

Also, I find your choice of words interesting. You said "tempered". Not "morally compromised" etc. That means to imply that secular influence have improved an otherwise violent religion. Perhaps one day, Western European philosophy will temper Richard's religion even more so people like him can understand that someone who happens to be a homosexual deserves the same human rights as someone who isn't.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I was talking about your devout friend, not Jesus. By all accounts Jesus was a stand up guy, and I do not recall him saying things like "don't be gay" or "don't attend church if you are".

Yes, but let's not discount the fact that according to the secular law of the land, murder of someone based on their sexual orientation is frowned upon, and generally results in long term imprisonment and possibly even an execution. I'm sure that serves as a deterrent, philosophical teachings aside.

Also, I find your choice of words interesting. You said "tempered". Not "morally compromised" etc. That means to imply that secular influence have improved an otherwise violent religion. Perhaps one day, Western European philosophy will temper Richard's religion even more so people like him can understand that someone who happens to be a homosexual deserves the same human rights as someone who isn't.
    I don't know what his view on gay rights is, but he might say that if homosexuality is a sin then gays don't belong in his church.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    That makes it easier for them to perpetrate socially irresponsible behavior with impunity, does it not? At least some politicians can sometimes be held accountable for some of their actions some of the time, but that is virtually never true of CEOs.

Don't anthropomorphize, governments don't start wars, politicians operating them do. Marx argued that governments have no political interests of their own and they are fully subservient to the bourgeoisie, but that's an exaggeration. Politicians have interests of their own because they are members of the business aristocracy, there is no meaningful distinction between the government and the corporations because the people who control the private sector tend to make it to the public sector soon enough. In Who Rules America, William Domhoff has shown that government officials generally come from the most prosperous socioeconomic class in this country and there is no significant distinction between the interests of the top government officials and that of the private sector leaders (http://www.amazon.com/Rules-America-...o+runs+America).

It is not that the leaders of corporations influence the leaders of the government, the two parties jointly govern the country with the expectation that they will reverse roles in the near future.

Would Augusto Pinochet have staged a coup d'etat if Salvador Allende did not deprive the U.S based transnational corporations from freely operating in Chile? Would the Videla Junta have waged 7 year long dirty war where 10,000-30,000 political dissidents perished if the U.S transnational corporations did not benefit from a capitalist regime that the military government promoted? Would Jorge Ubico who imposed a death penalty upon the "indolent" aboriginal coffee plantation workers have come to power if the Dwight Eisenhower administration was not preoccupied with the rise of "communism" in Guatemala? Did the U.S government's installation of the Shah of Iran had nothing to do with the interests of the Oil Companies whose economic liberties were compromised by Mohammed Mossadeq?

Governments started bloodbaths only because they gave the official orders to start them? The world is a little more complicated than that?

Oh, how influential businesses are matters a great deal, if they were much less influential, most of these wars would not have started, barring World War I and World War II and those were started by deviant governments, it is doubtful that most governments would have led the world down that path.

What's your point? That Obama is just an ordinary politician?

According to Thomas Ferguson's "Golden Rule" (http://www.amazon.com/Rules-America-...o+runs+America), the politician who raises the most money for his election campaign wins in 94% of scenarios. Obama is just an ordinary politician, but he needs to preserve his image as a pro-Middle class and an anti-big business public figure, so in that sense his support for big businesses will be a little less blatant than that of the Republicans. The Republicans have always been clear about one thing "what's good for big businesses is good for everyone" and the Democrats are somewhat bashful about outright saying that. To be sure, Democrats are just as subservient to the interests of big businesses as the Republicans are, but they are more likely to be side-tracked by their impression management endeavors that are supposed to deceive the public about their political agenda.
    Nevertheless, corporations (or their CEOs, whatever) don't have the almost unlimited funds and power to start wars, only gubmints (or their leaders, whatever) have the funds and powers to engage in them. Moreover, wars are so expensive that they don't result in profits for the winning countries (or their people, whatever), whereas corporations (except for non-profit ones) are profit-seeking operations.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know what his view on gay rights is, but he might say that if homosexuality is a sin then gays don't belong in his church.
    well considering he's against gay marriage we know what his stance is on gay rights.

I have no issue however with what people do with their church, who they keep in or out etc, the same way I don't have an issue if someone wants to have a romantic relationship with another person of the same gender. That's all part of being tolerant
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    While I can't argue that the Republicans don't do this, I can argue that at least we don't contend that doing so is fair innately because of who our voters are.
    what does that even mean?

Let he who is without sin take the first pew?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Let he who is without sin take the first pew?
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"