User Tag List

First 45678 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hey, we are serious. Knock it off. Take it to PM if you must, but keep the bickering out of the thread.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

"Hold your tongue, sensor!!!"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

in the country i live in there is a 10 week policy for abortion, after that you are being told that you are endangering your health having an abortion, also most doctors don`t do it if there is an important fasting time of the year, Christmas, Easter.. even though they`re not religious, they won t do it,(with obvious medical exceptions)
    otoh we have all sorts of Family Planning centers here that help with counseling, pill prescription, obgyn consults, and abortion if the case, there is a natality boom in the country, even if the state does n`t help so much right now. Also an abortion here is not covered by health insurance and is really costly,

PS here they don`t advise the medically pill induced abortion and they mostly go for the other kind, the invasive kind

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Oddly, I would almost argue your and others thoughts regarding homogeneity in the US as issue-our regional divisions are quite profound and have significant impacts on our political views. Havent you seen the red/blue maps?
    In what way are they profound? I guess we can only say it like we see it. Also, did you read the article I posted about how Americans perceive the differences between themselves to be greater than they really are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I don't exactly care whether I'm banned or not. Besides, nobody knows I'm from Britain save a few people anyway so my antics won't make it look bad. Three, I was telling her what I thought and not baiting. Four, I regard the way I come across to other posters as roughly the same way you come across to other posters (you're one to talk in other words) and five I thought I said I didn't want to speak to you? You keep quoting me even though I have you on ignore. You're more familar with the board rules than I am. Could you tell me whether that is technically harassment?
    I see your confusion: You put people on ignore so that you can ignore them, not so that they can ignore you. Also, if you ask someone a direct question, then complain about them answering it (in the same breath) you risk looking unbalanced. Hope this helps.

Oh, and honey, you're not even in the same ballpark. You might as well be orbiting it from space. In an out-of-control spaceship. With a thumb up your arse. And a tinfoil hat on your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think there are a lot of factors in the US that make us wonky with stuff like this.

First, we've got serious issues with sex, especially the idea of women having sex.

Second, we really like to villainize the poor. We don't think poor people should be having any kind of fun, especially sex, but rather should be living in grinding misery until they clean up their act and stop being poor.

Third, we hate the government telling us what to do, except when it's somebody else. Because there really ougtta be a law.

Basically, abortion restrictions only apply to poor people. People with money can just go someplace else and pay out of pocket for whatever they need and probably have access to reliable birth control anyway.

We don't want to pay for birth control for poor people with our tax dollars. Besides where do these whores get off just spreading their legs anytime they want? They should have to face the consequences of their actions.

We absolutely refuse to pay for abortions with our tax dollars because it's against our religion. (Except it's okay if it's our daughter who is pregnant and might embarrass us at church.)

We don't want poor people breeding like rats. What business do they have bringing children into the world when they can barely feed themselves?

We don't want the federal government telling us what our state can and cannot do. We will make our own rules, thank you very much. Now when are we going to get our federal subsidies?

Essentially, it's a red herring. It gives the marginally less than destitute someone to look down upon and blame for our crappy country besides the folks at the top who outsource blue collar and middle class jobs to poor countries and do not pay the people they do employ a living wage, as well as those that profit from our screwed up healthcare system. Divide and conquer.
    Last edited by cafe; 08-02-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We don't want to pay for birth control for poor people with out tax dollars. Besides where do these whores get off just spreading their legs anytime they want? They should have to face the consequences of their actions.

We don't want poor people breeding like rats. What business do they have bringing children into the world when they can barely feed themselves?
    These ideas are mutually contradictory. Making contraceptives and abortions cheap and available to the poor would do wonders for bringing down their birth rates. I guess the Native Americans were right about "White men speak with forked tongue". (Or is that just another stereotype?)

Essentially, it's a red herring. It gives the marginally less than destitute someone to look down upon and blame for our crappy country besides the folks at the top who outsource blue collar and middle class jobs to poor countries and do not pay the people the do employ a living wage, as well as those that profit from our screwed up healthcare system. Divide and conquer.
    I often use the term "divide-and-conquer economics" to describe the American myth of rugged economic individualism/each man for himself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    These ideas are mutually contradictory. Making contraceptives and abortions cheap and available to the poor would do wonders for bringing down their birth rates.
    Who says conservative polticians are logical?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    These ideas are mutually contradictory. Making contraceptives and abortions cheap and available to the poor would do wonders for bringing down their birth rates. I guess the Native Americans were right about "White men speak with forked tongue". (Or is that just another stereotype?)
    It's difficult to get a conservative (protestant or Catholic) to even admit that contraception education will reduce the number of abortions. Even if you phrase it in the perspective of minimizing the number of abortions performed, they still won't budge. I don't think adult conservatives will ever change their views on this. But there is hope. Eventually those people will die and their children are less likely to share their views. For example, both of my parents are pro-life and believe in abstinence education, but of their eight children only two agree with them. Six of us are pro-choice and believe in comprehensive sex education. Four of us have even become atheist/agnostic.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

We aren't nuts in the US.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think there are a lot of factors in the US that make us wonky with stuff like this.

First, we've got serious issues with sex, especially the idea of women having sex.

Second, we really like to villainize the poor. We don't think poor people should be having any kind of fun, especially sex, but rather should be living in grinding misery until they clean up their act and stop being poor.

Third, we hate the government telling us what to do, except when it's somebody else. Because there really ougtta be a law.

Basically, abortion restrictions only apply to poor people. People with money can just go someplace else and pay out of pocket for whatever they need and probably have access to reliable birth control anyway.

We don't want to pay for birth control for poor people with our tax dollars. Besides where do these whores get off just spreading their legs anytime they want? They should have to face the consequences of their actions.

We absolutely refuse to pay for abortions with our tax dollars because it's against our religion. (Except it's okay if it's our daughter who is pregnant and might embarrass us at church.)

We don't want the federal government telling us what our state can and cannot do. We will make our own rules, thank you very much. Now when are we going to get our federal subsidies?

Essentially, it's a red herring. It gives the marginally less than destitute someone to look down upon and blame for our crappy country besides the folks at the top who outsource blue collar and middle class jobs to poor countries and do not pay the people they do employ a living wage, as well as those that profit from our screwed up healthcare system. Divide and conquer.
    Very insightful post, cafe.