User Tag List

First 11515960616263 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

A smile makes you more approachable - you have less of a 'bitch shield' up, as it is referred to. Or that is at least how it was explained to me.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...men?CMP=twt_gu

"Consent is really too low a bar. Hold out for enthusiasm."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The last 20 seconds are the most important:

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Mind if I ask: before he was done with what? Talking with you? Leering at you on the street?

I mean did he just walk up and say "i bet you want my big fat cock" or what precipitated this?
    I was on a date, a first date, and I'd pretty much just finished saying I wasn't interested in sex at that point. I wasn't dressed slutty, I had no way indicated I was interested. He just kept going on about how he loved well endowed women. For goodness sake, WTF? My exact words were "I'm just looking to hang, get to know some one as a friend, and if some thing happens so be it, but I don't want a sexual relationship right now." Pretty clear I'd say.
    It was inappropriate.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Me and my roomate went out to eat after classes one day. It was one of the few times in our senior year we had some time to just relax. Four men in their late 30s to early 40s approached us on the street and asked if we knew any good restaurants. We suggested some stuff but they interrupted to say they heard about "a buffet near the Y". We said we didn't think there was a YMCA in town. Then they asked if we knew where they could get some "fur burgers" "nice juicy fur burgers". I felt very weird at this point finally they asked about "pink tacos" and I got the joke. I started screaming at them and my friend (who was always very sensitive and innocent about sexuality) started to tear up. We were very upset. The men just laughed at in our faces.

Luckily though we got the sweetest revenge ever! We happened to go down town to pick up a printing project thing but it was bound backwards (?) so we decided to get dinner at this restaurant with that had huge windows. My friend had promises to get me a coke for driving her down town. So after dinner were sitting by the window with our bottles of coke and across the street we see the same men! Doing the same thing to other women! You can see the women's faces going from friendly to confused to uncomfortable. I bolted, running through the restaurant and down the side walk to the women. I asked of they were okay and they has the same experience. As I'm walking back i see an arc of coca cola shoot into the stay and people scattering. My normal mild mannered friend had slowly walked out of the restaurant waited for the men to pass and then doused the main offender with the coke while yelling "to go with yor fur burger!". He literally ran away around the block. We explained to the restaurant and the people on the sidewalk and they were very understanding.

Normal I'm not a fan of drink throwing but in this case I was really glad she got to make him feel as disrespected and small and embarrassed as he'd made her feel.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I was on a date, a first date, and I'd pretty much just finished saying I wasn't interested in sex at that point. I wasn't dressed slutty, I had no way indicated I was interested. He just kept going on about how he loved well endowed women. For goodness sake, WTF? My exact words were "I'm just looking to hang, get to know some one as a friend, and if some thing happens so be it, but I don't want a sexual relationship right now." Pretty clear I'd say.
    It was inappropriate.
    Ha I hardly remember what I was asking you about, it feels like months ago, but yeah, that sounds annoying at the very least.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Investors don’t trust women, WUSTL study finds
    http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/6414.aspx

“What we found is that the CEO’s sex affected just about everything,” said McLean Parks. “We asked what percent of their investment money they’d put into the firm. It was astonishing. Participants were willing to invest 300 percent more in a firm run by a male than in a firm run by a female.”

When asked about compensation, respondents said they would pay the female CEO only 86 percent of the amount they would pay the male doppelganger.

“The thing that surprised me about these findings is that the participants were given identical materials. The only thing that changed were the name and gender of the CEO and with that, you get astonishingly different reactions,” said Bigelow.

The response to female CEOs was reflected in more than just fiscal decisions, the researchers found. Overall, the female CEOs were evaluated more harshly in a variety of ways. Despite identical resumes, participants indicated that the female CEO in the fabricated company:

• Had significantly less leadership experience.

• Would be less able to resolve a deadlock on the board of directors.

• Would be less able to handle a crisis.

• Was less competent.

• Would be a less favorable representative of the company in the eyes of the public.
    Last edited by Salomé; 10-04-2013 at 07:06 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why there are so few women in STEM. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/ma...agewanted=all&

physicists, chemists and biologists are likely to view a young male scientist more favorably than a woman with the same qualifications. Presented with identical summaries of the accomplishments of two imaginary applicants, professors at six major research institutions were significantly more willing to offer the man a job. If they did hire the woman, they set her salary, on average, nearly $4,000 lower than the man’s. Surprisingly, female scientists were as biased as their male counterparts.
    /fails to be surprised
    “The boys in my group don’t take anything I say seriously,” one astrophysics major complained. “I hate to be aggressive. Is that what it takes? I wasn’t brought up that way. Will I have to be this aggressive in graduate school? For the rest of my life?” Another said she disliked when she and her sister went out to a club and her sister introduced her as an astrophysics major. “I kick her under the table. I hate when people in a bar or at a party find out I’m majoring in physics. The minute they find out, I can see the guys turn away.” Yet another went on about how even at Yale the men didn’t want to date a physics major, and how she was worried she’d go through four years there without a date.

After the students left, I asked Urry if she was as flabbergasted as I was. “More,” she said — after all, she was the chairwoman of the department in which most of these girls were studying.

I was dismayed to find that the cultural and psychological factors that I experienced in the ’70s not only persist but also seem all the more pernicious in a society in which women are told that nothing is preventing them from succeeding in any field. If anything, the pressures to be conventionally feminine seem even more intense now than when I was young.
    broader studies show that the perception of discrimination is often accompanied by a very real difference in the allotment of resources. In February 2012, the American Institute of Physics published a survey of 15,000 male and female physicists across 130 countries. In almost all cultures, the female scientists received less financing, lab space, office support and grants for equipment and travel, even after the researchers controlled for differences other than sex. “In fact,” the researchers concluded, “women physicists could be the majority in some hypothetical future yet still find their careers experience problems that stem from often unconscious bias.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think it's just STEM. It's an issue throughout academia as well. As an undergrad I originally planned to pursue a PhD in English literature. What turned me away was becoming the employee of a female English professor who had made a name for herself as a feminist scholar in English Romantic circles, focusing on Mary Shelley. I wrote my senior thesis on Mary Shelley under her direction, and intended to continue on that path, although I discovered I wasn't a big fan of Mary Shelley's writing but I loved her life story and the writing and life stories of other women Romantics and Victorians e.g. Christina Rosetti.

I got pretty close to this professor and she told me a lot about her academic path. She hadn't started out a Shelley scholar. She had been a Blake scholar early in her career, but wrote a book that got her drummed out of the (mostly male) Blake scholarly circles. She was "blacklisted" (her word) and couldn't get published in any of the Blake journals after that. I read the book- it was not controversial. It wasn't even feminist- it was about ethics and forgiveness.

She has since become well-known among feminist Romantic scholars but the traditionalists want nothing to do with her. And the news wasn't much better at the departmental level- the power tripping old guard in the English department had to be carried kicking and screaming into the 20th century and start hiring non-whites and women (and, God forbid, non-white women). I let all this scare me off of English grad school, a decision I'm still conflicted about.