User Tag List

First 36444546474856 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'd investigate the judge. He might be sexist, and he might be officially corrupt. Look for some connections. It just seems terribly odd.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That doesn't change my opinion at all, Beorn. I didn't assume this was a "forcible beat-up rape" (good god, that sounds like "legitimate rape"). I assumed it was a TEACHER having sex with one of his 14-year-old students. Which it was. That is still horrible, reprehensible, and it's still rape. What the actual fuck.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Jesus. This is depressing as shit. I just sent my almost-14-year-old to high school for the first time this week. If one of her teachers had sex with her and she killed herself, he would die and either her father or I would be the one in jail. It wouldn't matter if it was a "beat-up rape" or not. SHE IS A CHILD and they are her teachers. Period. Beorn, I can't believe you're minimizing this. I would expect any human being with an ounce of compassion, which I really thought was a category you were in, to condemn something like this up and down and all over.

Edited to add- if some asshole judge sentenced said teacher to 31 DAYS for the rape that contributed to my daughter's suicide, and made comments like that, including the ones in your post, Beorn- I'd be screaming "you guys suck" and being forcibly removed from the courtroom too, just like this girl's mama was. And I'm sure I'd be consumed with hatred for that person. Troubled youths who are sexually precocious need MORE care and guidance from their teachers, not for their previous damage to be taken advantage of. To me, that makes it worse, not better, and I have zero respect for the way this judge has talked about her and handled this case.

MBTI
    XXFP

Hmm. I think it's wrong for someone older like that to be with a 14 year old. I do think it's relevant to characterize a violent rape vs. something that you might otherwise describe as consensual had the victim been older. Those are two different sorts of crimes. If a young, confused girl goes to her teacher and says she wants to have sex, it's absolutely wrong for him to do so, but I do see that differently than had he cornered her in a classroom and physically forced her to have sex, or offered her better grades for sex, or threatened her with failing grades if she didn't have sex, or various other things. That said, this guy seems to meet the definition of child molester, and 30 days in jail is a slap on the wrist BS sentence.

I'm not sure about the legal precedents, but ethically, I'm not entirely sure of the facts of the case here, but it's a bit of a gray area if someone kills themselves 3 years later after a crime. While I would place blame on the criminal who caused the damage, that's a complicated area that involves many factors of her own behavior, society, and all sort of other things. But it seems like, assuming the details of the case I understand correctly, while she probably wasn't the most stable person to begin with, especially considering she was a minor, the teacher's actions precipitated the downward spiral which culminated in her taking her own life.

I do condemn this. Though perhaps because I don't have a child of my own the same age I don't have the same level of intensity in my reaction. I hope you don't take the level of intensity in my reaction as an indicator of thinking this is excusable.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

i don't know what that means or if it's supposed to be mocking or a sign of agreement.

in any case...we're talking about a 14 year old who got molested, i don't want to throw you under the bus here, but i don't think a charlie sheen movie reference is the most appropriate thing given the circumstances.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thank you, Bamboo. I'm just frustrated because I posted the story (and I didn't think she killed herself after the verdict, and I also didn't think it was a "beat-up" rape) thinking no sane person could possibly defend any part of it. And then someone defended part of it, and to make matters worse they defended it with the tired old saw that it was "just statutory." It was statutory by a teacher who was charged to protect and guide this girl, not take advantage of her brokenness. For the judge to let him off this easy when as far as I can tell nobody disputes that the sexual contact happened is... mind-boggling. And for someone to defend the judge's disgusting remarks is also mind-boggling.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This is not something that a judge should have discretion on. If a judge can say "you're 14, but you act like you're 20" then there is no point in defining a legal age of consent.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Regarding the plea deal, it was supposed to be off the table when he got kicked out of the sex offender treatment for having uncleared visits from minor family members. This non-sentence came AFTER that. None of this was news to me and none of it changes how troublesome this all is, all around, and how it speaks to a devaluation of this young woman's life to the point that her suicide was a "complication."

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    i don't know what that means or if it's supposed to be mocking or a sign of agreement.

in any case...we're talking about a 14 year old who got molested, i don't want to throw you under the bus here, but i don't think a charlie sheen movie reference is the most appropriate thing given the circumstances.
    Sorry, I started my post before you had finished yours. I was more directed at Beorn and Ivy. Ivy for stating the obvious, and Beorn for stating... whatever it is he thinks.