User Tag List

First 27353637383947 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Nor would I. Many men still have a preference for women they can push around, and many women still tolerate it.
    Men are now and will always be the arbiters of what they find attractive in women.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Men also have the biological urge to brain each other with mammoth femurs. But that's not where evolution ended for us. At some point after that development, we got these big-ass brains, and they allowed us to build civilizations. Thanks to civilizations we now expect people to rise above their biology. "Biology is not destiny," as the saying goes.
    I'd love to see that written on a museum display with ancient humans. Just so people could understand the point.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Men also have the biological urge to brain each other with mammoth femurs. But that's not where evolution ended for us. At some point after that development, we got these big-ass brains, and they allowed us to build civilizations. Thanks to civilizations we now expect people to rise above their biology. "Biology is not destiny," as the saying goes.
    Our destiny as the biggest most powerful animal on Earth was sealed when we become inter-subjective.

Once we learnt to share our minds, we became more powerful than any other animal.

Of course we share our minds routinely, as a matter of course, and so our inter-subjectivity becomes invisible to us.

We have forgotten how extraordinary this is.

In other words our inter-subjectivity has become our environment, and all environments are invisible, yet form our every action.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    To your first comment, yes. It's not literal, but there is a psychosexual dynamic in which fathers become possessive and/or protective of the sexuality of their daughters.
    I would guess that the protectiveness is rooted more in their negative assessment of other men rather than having much to do with their daughters, no?

To the second, I guess it depends on the circumstances. I've experienced both, e.g., men being openly hostile to other men just because they're men, and e.g., men being more willing and open to hearing and trusting information if it's coming from a man as opposed to a woman.
    While they might be more likely to view other men as competent (trusting information), I don't think this necessarily extends to trusting them (trusting intent). Few men are prepared to be vulnerable around other men - which is a measure of trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Any data on what percentage of a given human population doesn't reproduce and the characteristics of that group?
    I seem to recall a couple of studies suggesting that intelligent people (especially intelligent women) are less likely to have children.

Eta: http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=5794948
    http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-563.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Sounds like David Brent in the TV comedy, "The Office UK",
    He made David Brent look like the Dalai Lama.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Paedophile walks free, because his 13 y/o victim was a "sexual predator".

Judge: “You have come as close to prison as is imaginable. I have taken in to account that even though the girl was 13, the prosecution say she looked and behaved a little bit older…On these facts, the girl was predatory and was egging you on…”
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    XXFP

^ french fries?

are sexist?

because of lady liberty, obviously. Lady liberty is supposed to be able to indulge in freedom fries, but we look down on her if she has wide hips.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I seem to recall a couple of studies suggesting that intelligent people (especially intelligent women) are less likely to have children.

Eta: http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=5794948
    Well that's something as far as evolution is concerned I suppose.

Though as far as causation?

not to get too far off topic, but are smart women considered undesirable (they can't find someone to be with because men discriminate against smart women), or do smart people just have less desire for children? Or less desire for sex? Or better access to birth control? OR...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

not to get too far off topic, but are smart women considered undesirable (they can't find someone to be with because men discriminate against smart women), or do smart people just have less desire for children? Or less desire for sex? Or better access to birth control? OR...
    An interesting question. Both effects would compound if men discriminate against smart, independent women in mate selection, and then when those women do find mates, they have fewer children than their more "traditional" sisters. Yes, better access to birth control would be a significant factor. Smarter, more independent, better educated women also appreciate that they have many options for fulfillment in life other than motherhood. They will also understand the physical, financial, and emotional impact of bearing and raising many children, and are more likely to have a husband that agrees with them in these considerations.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Well that's something as far as evolution is concerned I suppose.

It's definitely not less desire for sex.

Also, what @Coriolis said.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~