User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    so you'd be okay with someone leering at your mother? you wouldn't think it was off?
    I didn't say anything about me.

It would make me uncomfortable, but I suppose in a general way. My mother is really not a good choice in my case.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=0
    ZOMG, I snark. Thank you, people of Britain. And gromit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Inconsistency may appear because a person doesn't want someone leering that their girlfriend because she's theirs. Possession. Is that reasonable? I don't know.
    No. Possession isn't reasonable. I told you already, slavery isn't polite. For the times, they are a changin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, in fairness, I seriously doubt anyone here is comfortable with the bold happening to strangers either. The last part people might let slide more in general. Inconsistency may appear because a person doesn't want someone leering that their girlfriend because she's theirs. Possession. Is that reasonable? I don't know. But I really don't think the anyone is giving the first two things slack.
    Actually just today I had a cab driver scream "pussy" and "whore" at me in broad daylight in a place surrounded by people, because I didn't tip him, because he was rude and hostile to me during the cab ride; of course I reported him to the cab company and they're going to refund my money and address his behavior, and of course he was also some foreigner from some horrible culture where they bury women up to their shoulders in dirt and then throw rocks at them for daring to show their ankles in a public place...but you know what? NO ONE did anything to intervene. I'm not in New York either, I'm in a nice part of the west side of L.A.

And since he was a foreigner, it made me think about the influence of men from these kinds of cultures invading our culture, I honestly wondered if the man would have treated another man the same way, and how this is actually a pertinent feminist cultural issue. It also probably explains why some people are racist against immigrants in a kind of ignorant way that doesn't discriminate the difference between skin color and culture, and country and social class behavior.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

might as well call this the "woe is me thread". everyone has problems, it doesn't mean you're going to gain my sympathy by posting a thread on it. feminism aside, this is a broader trend that's starting to piss me off. people need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, pick themselves up by the bootstraps and rise above their problems. yes, it's hard, but that struggle is what makes us strong and what gives us stories to remember.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    people need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, pick themselves up by the bootstraps and rise above their problems.
    At the risk of Ne derailing.

What if feeling sorry for yourself is part of the process? What if we paid attention and listened long enough so that the self-pity dissolved into gratitude at being heard for once?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Yeah, I love this. I've always been frustrated by these things. I was held down by five guys while they did what they wanted (at school) and it was because "My jeans were too tight"

My first kiss was an assault. I thought it was weird how there were no repercussions at school for those things. I've dealt with a lot of stuff in public that is just like this. It has led me to not put makeup on, feel uncomfortable at a healthy weight because I don't want to get bothered, feeling self-conscious wearing revealing clothing...etc.
    "In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same." - Einstein

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

might as well call this the "woe is me thread". everyone has problems, it doesn't mean you're going to gain my sympathy by posting a thread on it. feminism aside, this is a broader trend that's starting to piss me off. people need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, pick themselves up by the bootstraps and rise above their problems. yes, it's hard, but that struggle is what makes us strong and what gives us stories to remember.
    You're the son of upper middle class intellectuals. You're male and white. Pull up by their boot straps? OMG funniest post in thread.

Seriously, you just inadvertently represented the reason why most libertarians are sheltered middle class white males. You don't even know what the fuck it's like to pull yourself up by your boot straps.

I know you're gay, and in that sense you're a minority...so would you respond the same way in a thread about homosexuals and trans persons being abused, berated, or harassed?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What do you think women do? Everyone needs a pep talk now and then, a sense of solidarity that one is not alone, that others have had the same experiences and have overcome them. Practical tips and tricks, motivation, an occasional pat on the back. That's what people get out of story swapping. If it doesn't float your boat, you don't need to follow the thread.

Now for an egregious example of entitlement and victim blaming: Ariel Castro's Statement
    Last edited by Coriolis; 08-03-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: removed stray code
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do you think women do? Everyone needs a pep talk now and then, a sense of solidarity that one is not alone, that others have had the same experiences and have overcome them. Practical tips and tricks, motivation, an occasional pat on the back. That's what people get out of story swapping. If it doesn't float your boat, you don't need to follow the thread.
    Well said. I'm generally suspicious of any admonition or criticism that boils down to "shut up".

Of all the things to counter, there is this poisonous pedagogy alive in the world, which is promoted like a high-powered radio station overpowering the quieter, more human transmissions that only work from person to person. The poisonous broadcast intones: don't speak, don't trust, don't feel.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Shut up and take it is about the stupidest advice I can imagine. God, imagine if every group that was subject to systemic injustice had done that!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers