First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The ACA is a hell of an Albatross to have around ones neck.
    So is a government shutdown.

... meh. What an interesting year.
    I think MacAulliffe pulled out VA last night, though, didn't he?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I'd probably identify as a liberal, although where I'm from (Boston) I'm probably moderate. Voted mostly democrat in the past, sometimes third party as well.

Now I don't really have faith in any of them, esp congress.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I'd probably identify as a liberal, although where I'm from (Boston) I'm probably moderate. Voted mostly democrat in the past, sometimes third party as well.

Now I don't really have faith in any of them, esp congress.
    That said, the world will PROBABLY still keep turning, so I guess my affiliation is "resigned"
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The ACA is a hell of an Albatross to have around ones neck.
    Dude, election after election, promises of some kind of party shift have failed to materialize. It's really hard to get people to do that. Big winning years for candidates generally come from taking over independents by a large margin, registering new voters for their party, and increasing the turnout of their registered voters.

If ACA helps any Republicans win, it's going to be on that basis, and probably not by nabbing a significant number of Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So is a government shutdown.

... meh. What an interesting year.
    Yeah, and he was a terrible candidate in what's not supposed to be a particularly blue state.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Yeah. Although Cuccinelli was closer in the polls than expected. The larger lead MacAulliffe gained because of the government shutdown seemed to be wiped away, either showing that the government shutdown is already being forgotten, or how terrible polling can be.

As long as the healthcare.gov website gets largely fixed up relatively soon, I doubt that will have much of an effect either. Jury is still out on the law itself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    As long as the healthcare.gov website gets largely fixed up relatively soon, I doubt that will have much of an effect either. Jury is still out on the law itself.
    Yeah, basically it's going to settle out between (1) what's wrong with the law vs (2) what's wrong with the website. It's too bad that #2 is demanding more attention right now.

But even #1 has been a mess, as it's not clear what criticism are true or not at this stage. There were lots of promises made by the administration that might or might not be true (and now we're starting to get a better picture, as people actually purchase insurance), and there were many "horror stories" touted that ended up being purposefully fradulent or overblown, that were exposed when people did fact checks on the people in question.

it'll take time to settle.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah. Although Cuccinelli was closer in the polls than expected. The larger lead MacAulliffe gained because of the government shutdown seemed to be wiped away, either showing that the government shutdown is already being forgotten, or how terrible polling can be.

Don't forget that MacAulliffe was able to outspend Cuccinelli by a wide margin, and that the latter received very little support from the Republican Establishment. That said, Republican primary voters need to stop nominating people who oppose abortion in cases of rape or incest in purple states, especially if they want to attract the few people in Northern Virginia whose financial interests are not dependent on government work.

I don't think its going to get fixed relatively soon, but even if it does, the impact on Obamacare's overall functionality will be long-lasting; they needed to convince the 'young invincibles' to sign up early to minimize the 'death spiral' effect. The shutdown, on the other hand, had little long-term impact, and has already been thoroughly overshadowed by the website fiasco in conjunction with large numbers of cancelled plans and substantially higher premiums despite promises to the contrary (which have been proven, by any reasonable standard, to have been deliberately misleading).

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

But even #1 has been a mess, as it's not clear what criticism are true or not at this stage. There were lots of promises made by the administration that might or might not be true (and now we're starting to get a better picture, as people actually purchase insurance), and there were many "horror stories" touted that ended up being purposefully fradulent or overblown, that were exposed when people did fact checks on the people in question.
    Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation out there. The problem is that I doubt the Democrats are going to do a good job combating that by explaining the benefits, while also dealing with the genuine issues with the law.

As long as the law is semi-competent, I don't think the Republicans will be able to leverage a huge edge on it in the polls come 2016. (It can play a role in 2014 since some aspects will not have come into affect yet, so fear and uncertainty can be leveraged more.)

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Don't forget that MacAulliffe was able to outspend Cuccinelli by a wide margin, and that the latter received very little support from the Republican Establishment.
    Very true. I also left out any rallying effect the website's horrible launch may have played in helping to close the gap. But yeah, give Cuccinelli MacAulliffe's budget and support, and I think he would have won Virginia.

That said, Republican primary voters need to stop nominating people who oppose abortion in cases of rape or incest in purple states, especially if they want to attract the few people in Northern Virginia whose financial interests are not dependent on government work.

I don't think its going to get fixed relatively soon, but even if it does, the impact on Obamacare's overall functionality will be long-lasting; they needed to convince the 'young invincibles' to sign up early to minimize the 'death spiral' effect. The shutdown, on the other hand, had little long-term impact, and has already been thoroughly overshadowed by the website fiasco in conjunction with large numbers of cancelled plans and substantially higher premiums despite promises to the contrary (which have been proven, by any reasonable standard, to have been deliberately misleading).
    "Death Spiral" effect? While I *think* I know what you are referring to, based on how insurance has to work, can you explain just so I don't misinterpret?

Anew Leaf

I was raised hard Democrat but have moved more to the center over the years. These days, my sweet spot seems to consist of moderate Republicans, who usually get my vote on the local level. Too bad, locally, the Tea Party Republicans are slowly taking over.

My issue is that I tend to be more socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. I want to like Republicans, because they are the only ones that seem to care about our countries financial woes, but they lost my trust during the Bush years. Republicans only seem to care about how money is being spent when Democrats are at the top.
    I could have written most of this. I think it's very true for a lot of our generation to be socially liberal on those issues but the real idea of being fiscally conservative. Both sides have such a giant problem with proper spending. Possibly because the numbers are so ridiculously abstract and hell it's not 'their' money... It's only human.

I have issue with the fact that I don't feel any party really represents 'who I am' as a voter adequately.

I was raised hard Democrat but have moved more to the center over the years. These days, my sweet spot seems to consist of moderate Republicans, who usually get my vote on the local level. Too bad, locally, the Tea Party Republicans are slowly taking over.

My issue is that I tend to be more socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. I want to like Republicans, because they are the only ones that seem to care about our countries financial woes, but they lost my trust during the Bush years. Republicans only seem to care about how money is being spent when Democrats are at the top.
    Dude, you are the anti-Lark