User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Dude, I've read some of your posts before, and you have some crazy assumptions. First of all, people will watch and get absorbed in whatever is on TV when they are bored or need a distraction from their lives. That certainly doesn't mean that we "like" the royal family or god forbid, want it back.

Second of all, I didn't grow up in "the commonwealth" either, but I know enough about British politics to know that the Royal Family has enough money and status that they absolutely do wield power, though I might disagree with the OP's premise that they're using that power to limit that of politicians'. Perhaps you need to revamp your definition of what it means to be powerful. If you can sway the public as much as the royals can (every item of clothing that the brunette has worn since marrying the prince has sold out globally the next day, for one thing; she's driven sales enormously in the fashion industry), I'd keep an eye on you.

I heard on CNN that the Queen gave them a reprieve of two to three years after the wedding during which they just strut around in designer clothing, attending social events, but that pretty soon, they'll become much more involved in political work. They've already done a bit, meeting with President Obama and Michelle Obama. I'm curious to see what affect they will have on global politics in the future...

I also think you were the one who suggested it was ironic that I felt sorry for Kate having photographers camped out of the hospital while posting that I was excited to see whether the royal baby was a boy or a girl. *eyeroll* Because Kate is reading this forum and is going to be pressured by what's said at Typology Central in the same way that she would be the photographers camped outside of her hospital. Don't overestimate the power of your analysis. It's not high.
    This is a trivialisation of Constitutional Monarchy.

And it misunderstands the relationship between the Monarch and the Parliament.

It took many hundreds of years to reach this Settlement.

And the Settlement reflects the values of the Enlightenment, the values of freedom and equality.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is a trivialisation of Constitutional Monarchy.

And it misunderstands the relationship between the Monarch and the Parliament.

It took many hundreds of years to reach this Settlement.

And the Settlement reflects the values of the Enlightenment, the values of freedom and equality.
    My apologies, sir, I'm not an expert. I was merely trying to make a point about another user's analysis being one-sided.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    How would it reflect the values of the enlightenment when it predates the enlightenment and even stands in direct opposition to many of them?

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    What does the Governor General actually do, though?
    The Governor General presides but doesn't rule.

The Governor General is our Head of State. And our Governor Gerneral is our Commander-in-Chief.

Interestingly though, our Governor General, under the Constitution, has undefined Residual Powers. What this means in effect is that if the political process becomes stuck, the Governor General can call an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How would it reflect the values of the enlightenment when it predates the enlightenment and even stands in direct opposition to many of them?
    Once again your learning stands you in good stead, Lark.

But consider, the values of the Enlightenment are evidence and reason, freedom and equality.

And as you so cogently point out the Scottish and English Enlightenment occurred in the 17th and 18th Centuries. And Parliamentary Democracy began in the 13th Century, in 1215, with the signing of the Magna Carta. (And indeed just outside my door we have an elegant rotunda celebrating the Magna Carta).

And the Magna Carta was followed in 1689 with the Bill of Rights.

So it's been a long journey to Constitutional Monarchy and to freedom and equality.

Prince George and George Bush

How can I explain the difference between Prince George and George Bush?

Well, George Bush works under a written Constitution, while Prince George works under a spoken Constitution.

The written Constitution spells everything out in black and white, while the spoken Constitution has heard and agreed upon verbal conventions.

The written Constitution is a child of the print culture, while the spoken Constitution goes way way back to the spoken culture of the deep past.

These two Constitutions, spoken and written, create two different cultures with different ways of perceiving.