User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

how on earth do you commentate NASCAR on the radio?

"He's turning the corner, the big ring corner that's the entire track, someone is passing on the other corner of the ring, there are lots of cars. OH! THANK GOD!! A SPECTACULAR CRASH TO MAKE THIS BORING THING INTERESTING, PITY YOU CANT SEE IT AND ONLY HAVE ME YELLING IN EXCITEMENT!!!"

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    XXFP

If you think of it in terms of physics, it's actually kind of interesting because it's so simple.

But, this is a real quote that someone just said, 'Today out there you're going to hear the drivers talking like they're going catfishing - they're trying to get deep to the bottom of the track.'

THAT right there is imagery that appeals to your prime demographic.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    He seemed to be impressed by the fact that the United States had forcibly declared it's independence while Australia broke away slowly from the crown with lots and lots of paperwork.
    There was a lot more money at stake both ways in the American colonies. And money does tend to precipitate wars. Australia otoh had nothing of value to Britain. We were a dumping ground for their convicts, 6+ months away. No contrary vested interests = no rancour.

It definitely took balls to forcibly declare independence though. Not too long afterwards Britain emerged top of the pile from the Napoleonic Wars, so they weren't exactly a spent force.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    There was a lot more money at stake both ways in the American colonies. And money does tend to precipitate wars. Australia otoh had nothing of value to Britain. We were a dumping ground for their convicts, 6+ months away. No contrary vested interests = no rancour.

It definitely took balls to forcibly declare independence though. Not too long afterwards Britain emerged top of the pile from the Napoleonic Wars, so they weren't exactly a spent force.
    Sounds about right.

I think his suggestion was that because the US broke away forcibly they invested more in their own economic development than Australia did. It could be a chicken or egg situation because perhaps the the US already had something to develop, so they could break away.

I don't know if I really agree with that (I don't have much sense of Australian development), but that was his impression.

Do you think it's common for people to take leave from Australia to get work experience elsewhere? I haven't heard anyone else say something similar, but I found it interesting.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I listened to the Australian anthem, and I have to agree with the other assessment that was given. Can't you guys find some decent English song to steal the melody from like we do for all our patriotic songs?

I just heard the Dutch anthem, and that might be my favorite, not counting the EU anthem, of course.

Despite my dislike of royalty, I do like "God Save The Queen", but since we stole that for "My Country 'Tis of Thee," I can just say I like that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP

Do you think it's common for people to take leave from Australia to get work experience elsewhere? I haven't heard anyone else say something similar, but I found it interesting.
    It's pretty common for Australians of all ages to travel and quite common to live overseas for a few years. I haven't heard any first-hand accounts of people moving overseas expressly to pad their resumes, but it makes sense. More likely people live overseas for a few years just for the experience and come back when they're ready to settle down/start a family.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Despite my dislike of royalty, I do like "God Save The Queen", but since we stole that for "My Country 'Tis of Thee," I can just say I like that.
    Prussia and the German Empire used the same tune for their anthem "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" (Hail to Thee in Victor's Crown) with Heil, Kaiser, dir replacing the recurring line God safe the king/queen.

There were also quite a few other countries recycling the tune.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    It's pretty common for Australians of all ages to travel and quite common to live overseas for a few years. I haven't heard any first-hand accounts of people moving overseas expressly to pad their resumes, but it makes sense. More likely people live overseas for a few years just for the experience and come back when they're ready to settle down/start a family.
    Well he joked to two Australian girls we met that "I meet fellow Australians everywhere, don't you? That's cause none of them are home" and it was well received...so I'd believe in the unusual propensity for travel explanation.

(initially i considered the off chance possibility it was a dig at immigration from asia...but no)

Why would it make sense to go elsewhere to pad your resume? I'd imagine Australia has decent economic opportunity, though not as much of the Wall Street variety.

MBTI
    INFP

Why would it make sense to go elsewhere to pad your resume? I'd imagine Australia has decent economic opportunity, though not as much of the Wall Street variety.
    I was thinking of it in terms of just looking good on a resume. Make you stand out from the crowd. Although I do think there's a tendency among Australians to see Australia as provincial, particularly among Australians living overseas. So if you've worked overseas it might look like you've mixed it in the "major leagues" and are therefore more capable of dealing with anything here. I don't know much about corporate culture here but I imagine it'd count for more in those circles.

I think our travel culture may have come from the world wars. Young men traveling overseas, seeing "the motherland" (England) and Europe etc and bringing back stories of it. I know when my dad was conscripted for Vietnam he turned down a promotion which would've kept him safely in Australia because he wanted to "see the world". Being well-travelled is still pretty highly esteemed. There's almost a sense that unless you've travelled overseas a bit you're fundamentally callow.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think we need to update our anthem. Maybe something a bit more...funky.

Imagine what it would have been like to actually have watched that live.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"