User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Default How does one obtain ID in your country/state? *Especially for non US members*

In the discussion on voter ID requirements in the United States, I suggested that it was difficult to obtain state ID necessary in many states for voting compared to other countries. I have only a small pool of anecdotal evidence to support this theory. I could be wrong.

So my questions are:

What documentation does one need to acquire a state ID where you live?

Where does one go to acquire necessary documentation?

How much does the documentation cost?

How does one get to the office(s) where documentation is acquired?

What kind of documentation is required to obtain necessary documentation?

How does one get to the office where IDs are issued?

What is required to replace a lost or stolen ID?

How does one change one's ID address?

How long is one's ID valid?

How much does an ID cost, if anything?

It's a lot of questions and I would appreciate any answers, even you don't want to answer them all, but it reflects the process for obtaining ID in my state.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know, but my mom's post doc is from hungary and her getting a TN licesense was a bitch, because two different documents had two different spellings of her last name. ANd they gave her the run around at the dmv. though even if you're native they still do that. but with her it was worse.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't know, but my mom's post doc is from hungary and her getting a TN licesense was a bitch, because two different documents had two different spellings of her last name. ANd they gave her the run around at the dmv. though even if you're native they still do that. but with her it was worse.
    Is that a problem with the voting laws, or a problem with the inefficiency of gov't bureaucracy?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Is that a problem with the voting laws, or a problem with the inefficiency of gov't bureaucracy?
    problem of the inefficieny of government bureaucracy
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I've lived in California for three years and still don't have an ID here. And the only thing motivating me to get it is that I can't get a medical marijuana recommendation without it. I had to have my mom mail me my birth certificate and it's going to cost about 30 dollars.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'll post how it works here, just need to clarify some costs before i charge in.

One thing i will say, is that it's pretty much unheard of to not have a bank account here, to get any kind of government benefit, student, looking for work, disability, aged pension, it all goes electronically into a nominated bank account. I don't understand how people can not have one.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I'll post how it works here, just need to clarify some costs before i charge in.

One thing i will say, is that it's pretty much unheard of to not have a bank account here, to get any kind of government benefit, student, looking for work, disability, aged pension, it all goes electronically into a nominated bank account. I don't understand how people can not have one.
    When one's account goes into the negative here, every transaction can generate a charge of $35 or so USD and you can face criminal charges as well.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Pretty much everyone uses drivers licenses for ID here (Canada). If you don't drive there is a province ID card, I believe, but I've never gotten it so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it is. I'm using my passport for ID now since my drivers license expired, but that is non-ideal (I'm gonna lose the shit out of it and then I'll really be in trouble since passports are a huge pain to replace).

I guess it's a minor hassle in that you need to pay fees to go through (and pass) all the levels of the drivers test, and then pay a fee every 5? years to renew it. Fee probably 50-150$ ish. You do need to go to their offices during working hours usually, but a few offices will do weekends I think, not 100% sure on that. There are a bunch of locations that issue IDs, maybe 10-15 in my city (2 or 3 of which will do the actual driving tests). Documentation you need for citizens is usually birth certificate and another government ID (SIN card or something). Not sure for non-citizens. It's easy to replace a lost drivers licence, it's like 15$ and you just need another form of photo ID but they aren't too picky, I think I used my student card and SIN card. Free replacement when you change your address and they mail it to you which is awesome. This is all province-variable.

Hope that helps. I have no idea how difficult it is in the states. Actually i kinda assumed you all just used drivers licenses too. You have a separate ID card just for ID?
    -end of thread-

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

In theory Britain is rather relaxed about what is considered ID.

There is no ID requirement for voting, it is illegal not to be on the electrical roll. Every year each household get a letter from the government, telling the head of the house to enrol everyone or they will be fined some ridiculous amount or another. It is possible to accidentally break the law by not being on the electoral roll if one is not the head of their household.

About a month before an election one receives a polling card, which tells them where to vote, or how to apply for postal or proxy vote. When one actually goes to a polling station they do not need the polling card. With the exception of Northern Ireland one does not need any ID ( @Lark why is Northern Ireland an exception, in needing photo ID? It does not make sense to Falcarius ) They will ask for ones name and address, and check one is on the roll and they will give you the election papers. They do not have a clue who one is, they just takes ones word for who they say they are.

As for banks and employers, they will accept bank statement, national insurance number card, any bill with ones full name and address claiming, passport or driving licence. Banks generally will not ask you for any ID, unless one has been bankrupt or moved recently, they will just check you are on the election roll. If one has moved recently or for whatever reason does not show up the background checks the banks do with the government. One will have to show photo ID.

The government will accept the same things for claiming benefits as banks and employers. Ones should be on their big brother records if they are in the country anyway, so they just check that for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

same requirements for you as for me!

Now, I'm lucky here because back when I got my license (1999) we didn't have all of the stupid secure id bullshit that there is now, so all I had to do was wander in with my birth certificate and they were all for making me a legal person. Thanks to the fact that I got my license back then I didn't have to provide the extra documents even when I went back to get my license reinstated a few months ago... I was already in the system and had an ID for the previous 4 years so all I had to do is give it back to them and prove my new address (that's a bitch to change, by the way... provide 2 bills with your name on them. I had nothing in my name at first when we moved so they kept sending everything to my old address for years... that was part of the "why whatever got her license suspended" ordeal... that and the law and my dumbass self )

Now if you go in to get a license or ID you have to get a secure ID, which requires a lot more paperwork and work.

First you have to have a document proving that you are indeed yourself... most commonly a birth certificate (must be the original, which costs $10 in my hometown), a passport (I accidentally threw mine away...) or a visa and I-94 form. If your last name is not the same as on your birth certificate you must provide original legal documentation to prove why.

Next you must prove your social security number... according to the site "The most common documents that you can use to prove your Social Security number are your Social Security card, a W-2 form, a SSA-1099 form, a non-SSA-1099 form, or a pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it." I got a replacement social security card last year to apply for a new job... it was free, but required waiting in the social security office for over an hour watching social security tv

Thirdly, you must prove your address and residency. This requires 2 bills in your name with your correct local address... pay stubs work too. This sucks if nothing is in your name

The ID itself cost $10 back when I got my license suspended... not sure if that's changed or not in the meantime.

Overall, the major inconvenience is the time that it takes to wait at the social security office, the time that you have to spend on hold with your local clerk's office and waiting for them to send a certified copy of your birth certificate and the time it takes to get everywhere. You can get to all of the locations (except one's hometown) here by bus... though I live in the state capitol which might explain a few things there. Of course, thanks to the marvelously efficient local public transportation system we have you'll be spending the entire day catching busses, waiting for busses or waiting in the Social Security office, so you'd better hope that you don't have a job. The social security office is closed on the weekend and the BMV is only open for 4 hours on Saturday morning, which means that you'll never get a social security card if you work monday through friday unless you take time off of work, and you probably will have some trouble getting to the BMV on Saturday since the busses are running on their weekend schedule, which means later and less frequently.

In other words, you're pretty fucked
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett