User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

In the US it varies by state. And most people also use their driver's licenses as ID, but a free ID is offered if you can't afford or do not want/need a driver's license.

I live in Indiana and state ID is required to vote, however, under certain conditions like indigence (when you must go before the election board within ten days and swear/affirm you are indigent), religious objection to being photographed, or you live in the institution in which you are required to vote they will forego the ID (you still have to go before the election board to verify those things). Otherwise, the only alternative to state ID is another government issued picture ID, which can come from a public college or university, the military, or you can use your passport. Whatever ID you use it can not have been expired more recently than the last general election.

In order to obtain a state ID (basically a driver's license you can't legally drive with) and you are a citizen you need:

- Proof of identity (usually a birth certificate, but a passport will also work)
    If you have lost your birth certificate and you live in my county, you can go to the health department to request a replacement. You must present two forms of ID, one of which must have a photo and it cannot be expired. The other can be just about anything from a paycheck stub to a fishing license. However, if you had a valid photo ID, you probably wouldn't be trying to get a birth certificate so you could get your ID.

- Proof that you are in the United States legally
    Usually a birth certificate, but a passport is also okay or whatever documentation you have as someone born outside the US

- Proof of Social Security number (our social security cards are printed on thick paper and do not have photos on them)
    You can use your social security card. If you have lost yours you can have it replaced for free. It's at a different office than the locations we've been to so far. You must present your birth certificate and a valid state issued photo ID or passport. If you do not have that you can use Employee ID card, School ID card; Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or U.S. military ID card. IME, they will also accept a signed letter from your physician stating that you are their patient.

You can apply for this card through the mail, but they will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of your documentation, so I guess you are supposed to send your photo ID and birth certificate through the mail and hope they get them back to you?

Or you can use a W-2 Form (a tax form you fill out for employers so they know how to withhold your payroll taxes), SSA - 1099 Form. (I don't know what this is), A non-SSA - 1099 Form. (I don't know what this is), Pay stub containing the applicant’s name and Social Security number.

- Proof of Indiana residency

Present TWO original documents with your name and Indiana
    residential address to establish Indiana residency. Documents must
    contain a residential address. A post office box will not be accepted.
    • U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation. (This is easy to get, I *think*)
    • An Indiana voter registration card. (You have to have a state issued ID to register to vote)
    • Survey of your Indiana property. (Poor people often do not own property)
    • Utility company, credit card, doctor or hospital bill issued within
    60 days of application. (Poor people often do not have these things)
    • Residence mortgage or similar loan contract, or lease or rental contract. (You will have this if you are on the lease where you live, but that is not always the case, especially if you are living in a multi-generational household)
    • Bank statement or bank transaction receipt, dated within 60
    days of application. (Poor people often do not have bank accounts)
    • Current motor vehicle loan payment book. (Poor people often have trouble getting traditional car loans)
    • Valid homeowner’s, renter’s, or car insurance policy dated
    within one year of application. (May or may not have this if you're poor. Insurance is required in order to register one's vehicle, if you own one. It's often dropped shortly thereafter, so the address may not be current)
    • W-2 Form, property tax, excise tax bill, or Social Security Administration or other pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement, dated within current or immediately-prior year. (A working poor person/retired person/disabled person will likely have one of more of these things, but they are usually not issued more than once a year, AFAIK)
    • Pre-printed pay stub, dated within 60 days of application. (Depends if the person has been employed that recently)
    • Indiana Family and Social Services Administration child support check stub, Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement (A lot of poor people will have one of more of these)
    dated within 60 days of application.
    • Valid Indiana handgun permit. (I think this can cost as little as $15, but I am not sure of the other requirements)
    • First-class mail from any federal or state court or agency, dated
    within 60 days of application. (You might have this if you're poor but you sure hope not.)
    • Valid and active ID card issued pursuant to the Indiana Attorney
    General’s address confidentiality program under IC 5-26.5 I have no idea what this is

- If you have had a name change (this is more common for women, who often take their husband's names) you're going to need some additional documents:
    If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate or lawful status document, you must show legal proof of
    the name change (showing a link to all name changes) with an original marriage license, divorce decree, or court order. Lawful Status
    documents will be verified with DHS.

IOW, what @whatever said.

Edit: I live in a mid-sized city and we do have a public transit system. The routes run every hour. That means unless you happen to live on the same bus route as your destination, you can expect a one-way trip to take about an hour and a half. There is one BMV in the county (403 sq miles, not counting water). It is a block or two from the southern border of the city limits and there is one bus route that goes by it. The Social Security office and the Health Department are both located downtown and there are several bus routes that go through there. It'll still probably take you at least an hour to get there and an hour to get back.

There aren't any other Social Security offices but the one in my town for an hour in any direction by car and there is no public transit outside the city limits (except to go to Walmart of the community college) for the rest of the county or surrounding counties for an hour in any direction. My city is the county seat and has the only place in the county to obtain birth certificates and only for this county. There are other BMVs in the surrounding rural counties, about a half hour or so from my city.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    In theory Britain is rather relaxed about what is considered ID.

There is no ID requirement for voting, it is illegal not to be on the electrical roll. Every year each household get a letter from the government, telling the head of the house to enrol everyone or they will be fined some ridiculous amount or another. It is possible to accidentally break the law by not being on the electoral roll if one is not the head of their household.

About a month before an election one receives a polling card, which tells them where to vote, or how to apply for postal or proxy vote. When one actually goes to a polling station they do not need the polling card. With the exception of Northern Ireland one does not need any ID ( @Lark why is Northern Ireland an exception, in needing photo ID? It does not make sense to Falcarius ) They will ask for ones name and address, and check one is on the roll and they will give you the election papers. They do not have a clue who one is, they just takes ones word for who they say they are.

As for banks and employers, they will accept bank statement, national insurance number card, any bill with ones full name and address claiming, passport or driving licence. Banks generally will not ask you for any ID, unless one has been bankrupt or moved recently, they will just check you are on the election roll. If one has moved recently or for whatever reason does not show up the background checks the banks do with the government. One will have to show photo ID.

The government will accept the same things for claiming benefits as banks and employers. Ones should be on their big brother records if they are in the country anyway, so they just check that for the most part.
    Legacy of the "troubles".

What documentation does one need to acquire a state ID where you live?

Two pieces of ID are required to get a driver's licence or a provincial identification card (they look exactly the same except one allows you to operate a motor vehicle and the other does not). You need to prove who you are and where you live. At least two supporting pieces of identification are required. Acceptable ID includes: a licence or ID card from another jurisdiction, a passport, a permanent resident card, a citizenship certificate, a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, a utility bill statement, a work visa, a student visa, an income tax receipt, a property tax bill, insurance policy documents and governmental assistance documents (employment insurance statements, cheques, etc.).

(This is not an exhaustive list.)

Where does one go to acquire necessary documentation?

A registry agent. Registry agents are private-sector service centres that provide vehicle registration, land title registration/lien searches, corporate registration, driver's licensing, etc. on behalf of the government.

How much does the documentation cost?

The cost of a licence varies because some registries charge more than others. The legislated maximum is $21 for a licence valid for a year, $37 for two years, $53 for three years, $69 for four or $84 for five.

How does one get to the office(s) where documentation is acquired?

There are registries all over the place in the big cities. The nearest to me is a half-hour walk away, or I could take a bus (~10 minutes), or I could drive (~5 minutes). A half-hour long bus ride or a 20 minute drive would take me within walking distance of at least half a dozen.

What kind of documentation is required to obtain necessary documentation?

For things like a utility bill statement, nothing obviously. To get a birth certificate, passport or the like, filling out a form and providing a piece of ID (from a list similar to the list above).

How does one get to the office where IDs are issued?

They're mailed. You don't pick them up in person. Birth certificates, driver's licences and passports are made at a remote facility by the Canadian Banknote Company (the company which also makes Canadian 'paper' money).

What is required to replace a lost or stolen ID?

The same identification as applying in the first place.

How does one change one's ID address?

The same process as applying for a new one. Supporting documents will have to show the new address. A lease agreement is acceptable.

How long is one's ID valid?

1-5 years, as I said above. You can now get a passport good for 10 years though.

How much does an ID cost, if anything?

Outlined above. A birth certificate is at least $20 (again, it varies). A five-year passport costs $120. A ten-year passport costs $160.

EDIT: Someone asked which jurisdiction I'm speaking for; Alberta. (And, since Usehername and Randomnity have been speaking about it I'll say Alberta still issues paper health care insurance plan cards with no photo, whereas I know Ontario at the very least has more substantial plastic cards with photographs on them.)
    Last edited by 93JC; 07-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    In theory Britain is rather relaxed about what is considered ID.

There is no ID requirement for voting, it is illegal not to be on the electrical roll. Every year each household get a letter from the government, telling the head of the house to enrol everyone or they will be fined some ridiculous amount or another. It is possible to accidentally break the law by not being on the electoral roll if one is not the head of their household.

About a month before an election one receives a polling card, which tells them where to vote, or how to apply for postal or proxy vote. When one actually goes to a polling station they do not need the polling card. With the exception of Northern Ireland one does not need any ID ( Lark why is Northern Ireland an exception, in needing photo ID? It does not make sense to Falcarius ) They will ask for ones name and address, and check one is on the roll and they will give you the election papers. They do not have a clue who one is, they just takes ones word for who they say they are.
    This is pretty much how it goes in New Zealand.

We don't even have states. We have provinces but their main purpose is determining which rugby team you support. We don't have different laws depending on where you are, either - other than small nuances in bylaws between councils.

God, do they not want people to vote in the US? It seems like you have to crawl across hot coals just to enter your ballot.

The things I hear about bureaucracy in the US continually surprises me. How do you put up with it?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

you go to a police station(not all police stations do this service) and ask for id/passport. i think it costs around from 40 to 100 euros(+ you will need a photo that meets the requirements needed for passport), depending on what sort of id and how long the passport will be valid(i think they are valid from 1 to 10 years and you cant get 10 year passport when you just turn 18 since picture will look too old by the time you hit 28). when i got my first picture id when i turned 18, my mom verified my identity showing her passport and knowing my social security number. after getting a new passport(the picture id also works as a passport in EU) after my old id had expired, i walked to a police station, told them that i need a new passport, showed them my old id and they started crafting the passport and told me the day i can come pick it up.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Documentation you need for citizens is usually birth certificate and another government ID (SIN card or something).
    x2 from a different province.

Do you guys still have the cardboard paper health card w/ number that they issue to you as newborns? Mine is still just chillin' in my wallet. I think that counts as one of the ID forms.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Everyone has a National ID over here (Thailand)

It looks like a credit card but doesn't really do anything. It's got your name and picture on it, as well as your registered address, date of birth, blood type in case you have an accident, and other info. You get it by going to your District Office and showing them your birth certificate within 3 months of turning 15. They also take your finger prints. I think the card is free the first time. You then renew it every 5 years (where you trade in your card for a new card with a new 'updated' picture). I think renewals are free too, or if they charge it's a very minimal fee, because I don't remember paying for my last one. If you change your name you have to pay for a new one. If you lose it you have to report it to the police and they will scold you for losing it before giving you a form that you then use to get a new card (for a fee).

You have to use your ID for practically everything -- voting, opening a bank account, getting into important buildings, applying for a credit card, getting a driving license, getting into university, etc.

Oh, and if someone finds your ID they can just drop it into the nearest post box and they will send it to your address for free.

I think they have changed it so now you can get an ID when you're 7.

Oh, and once you're registered you have a Citizen Number that will be yours for the rest of your life.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Society

i should clarify that this is for an israeli national ID - there are no district-specific IDs, and considering the country can fit within New Jersey, there isn't much of a need for one.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    immigration: you will need all your immigration paperwork, your passport and your visitor's identification card.
    local: happy 16th birthday, being old enough to legally work and/or go to grownup jail upon committing a crime, you will get a summon in the mail from the office of registrar. come with your guardian (who will have your previous ID within their identification extended forms) or on your own along with your birth certificate.

the office of interior registry, loosely translated.

it doesn't for locals, i'm not sure about immigration.

if you are part of the 91.7% urban population, your affiliated office of registrar is in your city. drive, bus, take a taxi, or you know.. walk.
    if you are part of the 8.3% rural population, you go to the nearest city.. drive, bus, hitchhike (freaking hippy), take a bike (freaking healthnut), ride a horse (freaking hipster)... seriously though if your family can afford to live in a rural area here - which is usually quite a bit more expensive - then you probably have money.
    i do know of some cases a social worker was empowered to process your information instead - and come to your house or find you if you don't have one (an HS friend of mine who was blind was offered this and refused).

you are on record from the day you are born or from the day you immigrated.

you get it "on the spot" in the office of registrar if there's no line, otherwise you might need to wait an hour or so.

you can arrive without any ID, at which point you will need to fill a very long form to prove that you know everything they have on you in their computers, and to demonstrate that you look like yourself.
    you can arrive with an alternative ID (passport, student ID, driving license, etc), fill out just a much shorter one page form, they will still verify you with some questions and make sure you are who you say you are visually, but that's about it.

if you report it as stolen you don't have to pay the fine but then they file a police report as well, which can take a few hours...

you fill up an application in your local post office.

until it's replaced with a death certificate.

How much does an ID cost, if anything
    first time - nothing.
    if you lost it - you pay a 210 shekels "fine" which is currently 58.86 USD.

It's a lot of questions and I would appreciate any answers, even you don't want to answer them all, but it reflects the process for obtaining ID in my state.
    i wasn't sure if this is for states within the US or countries everywhere...
    Last edited by Society; 07-21-2013 at 03:54 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

There is no state ID, only national ID valid for everything you can think of which you get and are legally required to own (unless you have a valid passport) when you're 16.

This ID is enough to travel and identify yourself all over Europe, so I only use my passport when I leave the continent.

You need a previous form of ID like the children's passport you got at birth or an older passport or ID card or a birth certificate and a photo.

There is a citizens office in every neighborhood.

28,80 Euros, you can be freed of the fee in case of indigence.

The next citizens office is normally within walking distance. There is also a well functioning network of public transportation in my town.

Your previous ID or your birth certificate, I guess. I recently lost my birth certificate, so I mailed the citizens office in my birth town a 1 page form asking for a new one and added a 10 Euro bill as a fee and got my new birth certificate in the mail within 48 hours. They have your data in their computer anyway.

There is an citizens office which does all basic administrative work in every neighborhood. The next one to my home is in 10 minutes walking distance.

A birth certificate and a photo. If you changed your name and it is different from that in your birth certificate, you need to show the name change document/marriage certificate.

You go to your citizens office and have them seal a sticker with your new address onto your old ID card. It's a question of 5 minutes and costs nothing.

10 years for adults.

How much does an ID cost, if anything?
    28,80 Euros, the citizen's office can free you of the fee when you're indigent (see above)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    x2 from a different province.

Do you guys still have the cardboard paper health card w/ number that they issue to you as newborns? Mine is still just chillin' in my wallet. I think that counts as one of the ID forms.
    Plastic not cardboard, and not really but we're grandfathered in if we keep the old cards. If you lose the old card, you need to get one of the new versions with photo ID that you have to go in to update every few years and probably pay for, ugh. I'm keeping my old red and white stripey health card as long as humanely possible to avoid that - you can't even use the photo health card for photo ID for some stupid reason, although it might be OK for ID for something like this.
    -end of thread-