User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Oh god.

I'm also assuming you've heard of this kid?

Be certain to read the Twitter and Facebook links to double your fun/loss of faith in humanity.
    That kid has to be trolling us.. right?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That kid has to be trolling us.. right?
    If it were just the social media sites, I'd think, yeah, this could be the world's greatest Catfish. But the fact that he sent that email as a congressional email just makes me a lot less hopeful.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    She means that this thread has two souls.
    The thread as it is, and the thread as it should be, ect.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Hillary is just another corporate whore, like Obama. She might be better than the Republican candidates, but only marginally better.

How many sets of knee pads do Republicans go through as they seek political office? It must be dozens.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Hillary is just another corporate whore, like Obama. She might be better than the Republican candidates, but only marginally better.

How many sets of knee pads do Republicans go through as they seek political office? It must be dozens.
    Yes.

I'm in an almost paradoxical position on elections these days. They mean so much to me as to make me tense, and they mean so little to me as to make me jaded. How that works is, I find Republicans not a little, but a lot worse than Democrats, so it's frightening to me for Republicans to win and thus the elections are important. At the same time, while the Democrats are far better than the Republicans, they are far below what we actually need, thus making me wonder if the less of two evils is lesser enough to keep us from all being doomed in the end anyhow.

I'd really love a multi-party system, but our laws and by-laws deny it happening.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Obama's presence at the top of the ticket has had a huge effect on the voting practices of minorities in the last two elections.

Enough that had black voters turned out like they did in '04, Romney would have won by the skin of his teeth.

Democrats Using Voting Rights Issues to Protect Senate Majority

To hold Southern Senate seats, Democrats need blacks to show up and vote without Obama on the ballot. Enter Eric Holder.

Without President Obama's name on the ballot, Democrats and civil rights leaders increasingly view voting rights as a rallying cry that could boost minority participation in key midterm Senate races in 2014.

Facing a challenging election landscape in which African-American and Hispanic turnout typically dips, Democrats are seizing on Republican attempts to pass voter identification laws and the Supreme Court's ruling that Congress rewrite the landmark law protecting minority voting rights. Attorney General Eric Holder is suing the state of Texas to continue monitoring its electoral laws and districts. Civil rights leaders, who met with Holder and President Obama at the White House on Monday, are launching a massive voter registration drive next month to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington.

Black turnout will be pivotal to the re-election of vulnerable Senate Democrats in the South, including Kay Hagan in North Carolina, Mary Landrieu in Louisiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas, as well as to Democratic hopes of picking up an open Senate seat in Georgia. Those states could be decisive in determining whether the Democratic Party maintains control of Senate in 2014. The heated Virginia governor's race in November will serve as a test run for the party's ability to mobilize black voters without the first African-American president at the top of the ticket.
    In a first, black voter turnout rate passes whites: study

For the first time in history, the voter turnout rate of black Americans was higher than whites in the 2012 elections, according to a new analysis.

The “Obama effect” revved up the black vote in November, securing the nation’s first African-American President a second term, according to an analysis by the Associated Press.

“The 2012 turnout is a milestone for blacks and a huge potential turning point,” said Andra Gillespie, a political science professor at Emory University.

“What it suggests is that there is an ‘Obama effect’ where people were motivated to support Barack Obama,” Gillespie said. “But it also means that black turnout may not always be higher, if future races aren’t as salient.”

Census and exit polling data suggest that had African-American turnout been the same as it was in 2004, when two white candidates dueled for the presidency, Mitt Romney would have narrowly won the election.
    In a first, black voter turnout rate passes whites

WASHINGTON (AP) — America's blacks voted at a higher rate than other minority groups in 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time, reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.

Had people voted last November at the same rates they did in 2004, when black turnout was below its current historic levels, Republican Mitt Romney would have won narrowly, according to an analysis conducted for The Associated Press.

Whit Ayres, a GOP consultant who is advising GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a possible 2016 presidential contender, says the last election reaffirmed that the Republican Party needs "a new message, a new messenger and a new tone." Change within the party need not be "lock, stock and barrel," Ayres said, but policy shifts such as GOP support for broad immigration legislation will be important to woo minority voters over the longer term.

"It remains to be seen how successful Democrats are if you don't have Barack Obama at the top of the ticket," he said.
    It's naive to assume that Obama's presence at the top of the ticket doesn't impact minority voter turn out.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Obama's presence at the top of the ticket has had a huge effect on the voting practices of minorities in the last two elections.

Enough that had black voters turned out like they did in '04, Romney would have won by the skin of his teeth.

Democrats Using Voting Rights Issues to Protect Senate Majority

To hold Southern Senate seats, Democrats need blacks to show up and vote without Obama on the ballot. Enter Eric Holder.

In a first, black voter turnout rate passes whites: study

In a first, black voter turnout rate passes whites

It's naive to assume that Obama's presence at the top of the ticket doesn't impact minority voter turn out.
    I never said it didn't. I'm aware that Democrats get a handicap during midterms, which is part of why I said 2016 is a rough year for Republicans and they have to make the best of 2014. But like I said, as a general thing, I don't think the Democratic party has ever been more popular than Obama up until now. That won't remove the midterm disadvantage, but it does weaken it, and it's certainly significant for 2016.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I never said it didn't. I'm aware that Democrats get a handicap during midterms, which is part of why I said 2016 is a rough year for Republicans and they have to make the best of 2014. But like I said, as a general thing, I don't think the Democratic party has ever been more popular than Obama up until now. That won't remove the midterm disadvantage, but it does weaken it, and it's certainly significant for 2016.
    Both parties are in bad shape. And this debate about who is going to gain or lose power in 2014 is nauseating for me. It's nonsense that belongs on the soon-to-be-obsolete 24/7 cable "news" stations. Both parties fucking suck! And I'm not alone in this opinion. According this Wall Street Journal article, only 32% of Americans believe their own representatives deserve to be reelected and 57% of Americans want to get rid of everyone. 57%! Congress has an approval rating of just 16%. As a country, we're more frustrated with Congress than the colonists were with King George before the Revolutionary War. King George had some people who actually liked him.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You might want to check your numbers.

From Politico: Poll: Most back 'stand your ground'

A majority of Americans support controversial “stand your ground” laws, according to a new poll, but their views are sharply divided along racial lines.

Voters back the self-defense laws 53 percent to 40 percent, according to a new poll from Quinnipiac, but when broken down by race, black and white voters have opposite views. White voters support such laws in their state 57 percent to 37 percent, while black voters oppose the laws 57 percent to 37 percent. Hispanic voters are split, with 44 percent supporting the laws and 43 percent opposing.

Obama’s approval ratings continued to be underwater in the poll, with 46 percent approving and 48 percent disapproving of the job he’s doing. That’s 2 points higher approval than in July, but the same rate of disapproval as Quinnipiac’s last such poll.

That’s still better than how voters feel about Republicans in Congress, whom they disapprove of 73 percent to 19 percent, and Democrats in Congress, whom they disapprove of 61 percent to 31 percent.
    Link to the poll: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1931

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You might want to check your numbers.

From Politico: Poll: Most back 'stand your ground'

Link to the poll: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1931
    You're right. What I said wasn't technically correct. I made the mistake of comparing two non-analogous kinds of polls. One was what people think of the Democrats vs the Republicans, while the other was what people think of Obama by himself without competition. It's the first time Democrats have won the generic ballot without majority support for Obama, basically.
    Go to sleep, iguana.