User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yeah? As far as I'm concerned, that is quite ignorant enough.

Oh, by the way, when Henry Milner attempted to measure civic literacy, his list (which contained only first-world democracies, mind you), ranked the USA at the bottom.
    And civic literacy is the only measure of knowledge?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    And civic literacy is the only measure of knowledge?
    In politics, it's the most important.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    In politics, it's the most important.
    Well we were discussing knowledge of the energy industry and environmentalism etc.

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm not against nuclear. I'm not against nuclear. (you can say it the third time for me)

Fukushima cetainly was no Chernobyl. You might notice I distinguished the two - "even Fuku..." Having to shut down a nuclear power plant, testing, cleanup, evacuation of a large area, lost productivity from that area, government oversight, re-routing the power supply, lost investment of a nuclear power plant (they disabled the entire thing probably forever) etc etc - I'd rank that as a very big problem. In terms of:

risk of failure: 1-2 (very low)
    damage and/or pressing problems if it does fail: up to 9-10 (very high)

Pipelines are probably a great way to transport the oil in comparison to trucks or trains. But how is it controlled, what happens if there's a leak or a burst?

The idea of modernizing existing coal plants and using the remaining coal doesn't sound bad and probably is more efficient in the short term than building an entirely new plant. In the same way keeping an old jalopy running is more efficient than buying a brand new hybrid. Unpopular as that sounds.

Still, investment in infrastructure that encourages long term cleaner energy is a good thing, IMO.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

PS I've considered working on an oil rig (mechanic, perhaps). I have to admit that to some degree I rather work on a solar wind farm or something like that. But look out the window: I can't live the way I do without a car and gasoline and thousands of other people driving around and shipping food and tools and items in their petroleum powered cars and trucks.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    PS I've considered working on an oil rig (mechanic, perhaps). I have to admit that to some degree I rather work on a solar wind farm or something like that. But look out the window: I can't live the way I do without a car and gasoline and thousands of other people driving around and shipping food and tools and items in their petroleum powered cars and trucks.
    We're working on alternative fuels for those, too.

The algae based stuff is what most intrigues me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's mad, I wonder what way the thing has been phrased because I know some Americans, some are on this forum, and they dont appear stupid enough to vote against a cleaner environment and clean air.
    And if oil is going to be transported, which it is, don't you think it makes more sense to transport it via a pipe, that does absolutely nothing, than via trucks that actually do impact the environment? Just how is a pipeline a "vote against a cleaner environment and clean air?" Do you really think the only use for oil is as a fuel source, anyway? Practically every modern product depends on it considering that it's a primary ingredient in the production of plastic. Greater availability of oil means greater availability and lower cost of all kinds of goods, beyond the impact on transportation, energy production, etc etc. I don't understand how people can take these ridiculously myopic viewpoints on things.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    And if oil is going to be transported, which it is, don't you think it makes more sense to transport it via a pipe, that does absolutely nothing, than via trucks that actually do impact the environment? Just how is a pipeline a "vote against a cleaner environment and clean air?" Do you really think the only use for oil is as a fuel source, anyway? Practically every modern product depends on it considering that it's a primary ingredient in the production of plastic. Greater availability of oil means greater availability and lower cost of all kinds of goods, beyond the impact on transportation, energy production, etc etc. I don't understand how people can take these ridiculously myopic viewpoints on things.
    Why do you think that advocating clean production is the same as opposing using oil per se? Sounds like poor reasoning skills, perhaps you'll go now and read my posts again and see if they are saying what you think they are.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why do you think that advocating clean production is the same as opposing using oil per se? Sounds like poor reasoning skills, perhaps you'll go now and read my posts again and see if they are saying what you think they are.
    I don't know what an oil pipeline has to do with the production side. It's a transportation medium.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't know what an oil pipeline has to do with the production side. It's a transportation medium.
    I wasnt responding to that, I responded to the second part of what you had to say because, you know, you can frame the discussion but others dont need to accept how you have framed it.

If you read my posts, as I suggested that you do, you'll see that I didnt mention anything about the pipeline, I was discussing how in the US people seem prepared to accept less clean and safe methods of production than elsewhere, it would seem to be similar to some third world nations, although I hope not quite so bad as that because those nations can be effectively lawless places. Whereas the US, as you stated in another thread is just a nation were the law can be bought.