User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    This thread makes me sad.

I know! Let's watch this video of kids reacting to the interracial Cheerio's commercial!

I hope those kids grow up and change society.

I was watching this video and I don't think I've ever felt more ashamed just to hear how servile the man who played kunta kinta acts to this day.

But, for me it's still a problem "those" people experience "out there." I think when I saw the Cheerios vid above it began to make me think about some of my friends in interracial relationships. In particular one of my friends is about to have his firSt child this week or next. As exciting as that is it's disturbing to think about the world the child is coming into. It's crazy to think that my buddy, like me, has grown up receiving every courtesy from the police as a white male. Yet, his child won't necessarily be afforded the same and may decide to act in a servile manner to avoid fear and suspicion. It may even affect how he decides to bless his child. What if he does well and in 5 years buys a Mercedes? When the kid is a teen will he think twice about giving the old family Benz to his son? Will he be afraid of how cops would perceive his son? Anyway, it hits a little closer to home as we're so close and I can identify with more of his experience, plus I have hopes of raising a family alongside his.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE

When I saw the video with LeVar Burton it sparked a few ideas that I thought were interesting.

First, believe it or not, I do the same thing as Mr. Burton when pulled over, but for different reasons.

1. Police officers get shot during routine traffic stops. To avoid feelings of anxiety/concern on the part of the officer, I place my keys on my roof and my hands outside of the window to put the officer at ease. Why make a stressful job more stressful?
    2. Showing an officer that you respect his/her feelings, and understand the risk that comes with interacting with a stranger who may want to kill you, typically puts him/her in a more lenient mood.

Two people doing the same thing for very different reasons and with very different feelings motivating that behavior. To me, it is a matter-of-fact sort of behavior that is meant to maximize positive outcomes and minimize negative feelings. To Mr. Burton, it speaks to societal prejudice.

Second, when I was a kid, I lived with my dad and stepmother for several years; they had two children together (my half-brothers). Whenever my stepmother would chastise me for something I did, I would take it especially hard. Now that I’m older and my younger brothers are the same age as I was, I see that she chastises them in a similar way, but they don’t give a shit. The difference? She is their mother and they know she loves them; she isn’t my mother and I always felt like the 3rd wheel (an unwelcome presence). Certainly there are things she does for them that she didn’t do for me, like babying them and kissing them and some other things, but she wasn’t unkind to me.

Because I was more sensitive to her chastising, she had a more difficult time dealing with me. This, in turn, actually did create some feelings of resentment on her part. I would pick up on these, and get more defensive. Things would escalate.

The point here is that the overarching/historical perception of inequality bleeds into everything that a person does. Behaviors that are free from prejudice (on the part of the actor), might be perceived as prejudicial by the object of those actions because of other factors at play. We need to show sensitivity to those who exist in the so called “3rd wheel” universe, but such individuals should also try their best to break the habit of viewing everything through the prism of hate and prejudice (it’s not a fun place to be).
    Last edited by Jonny; 07-18-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRainbows View Post
    I think this type of thinking is scary.
    Good.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    False. "Pattern criminal" is meaningless psycho-babble, and police did not tell Z to stop following Martin.
    Actually it's not "meaningless psychobabble" he fits the profile for ASPD. He has a pattern of violent behavior toward people weaker than himself (molestation, domestic violence, being fired for being overly aggressive with patrons). They went for the wrong charge. I stand by those who say "not guilty but not innocent" in that they should have approached this case from a different angle...and they will.

There will be a re-trial.

He was in fact told not to pursue Martin by police dispatch. Do you get all of your information from Reason magazine, or just from Ann Coulter appearances?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Where does it say Z was 18 at the time of the last alleged incident?

Anyway, I would have to see the girl first. If she's ugly, THEN I would question Z's character and judgment.
    Okay I've completely confirmed everything I've thought about you now.

I will no longer be flattering you by responding to any more of your troll posts.

You just implied that you'd question the motives a sex offender "if the girl was ugly."

You don't deserve any more attention.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I think it's fascinating that you complain and then go on to reinforce my comparison by merely attacking Zimmerman's character. Which is fine by the way, but given the evidence the jury had it's not enough to claim beyond a reasonable doubt he wasn't acting in self-defense.

I'm trying to undermine the idea that you have an argument. You have a lot of bad perceptions of Zimmerman. That's fine. Even well deserved. But that's not an argument for conviction.

You mean like withholding evidence and firing people to punish them for revealing corruption?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justic...ing/index.html

I'll deal with the former allegation below. As to your latter claim where exactly did the police do that? That's a misconstruing of the evidence.

911 call takers have no authority to tell people what to do. That is you're not breaking the law per se by ignoring their instructions. Though it's generally a damn stupid thing to ignore them.

But here there WAS NOT even an instruction.

The statement was, "we don't need you to do that."

Which was a statement preceded by, "let me know if he does anything else."

No. I just give a damn about justice. Which is not the same as what I want to happen.

A lot of conservative white men have been acting atrociously in their response to this.

I'll grant that.

But, I tend to agree more with the informed opinion of a liberal white woman than the screeching of Hannity or O'Reilly.

If you have seen me disparage the character of that poor young man who died a year ago please point it out to me. I don't see any reason why I can't come to one conclusion on the evidence and lament the racial tension and troubles we have in this country at the same time.

The irony of this is just how often bias akin to your's against the defendent and ignorance of the evidence works against young black men in the criminal justice system.

"That's just a thug from the hood. We have to find him guilty of something."
    Herp derp derp derp...bias such as mine? Have you seen my multiple posts where I said this isn't about race, but about Zimmerman being ASPD?

I'm done with you too.

Oh wait...one more thing..read your link Martin was smoking pot? Dude, that's legal where I live, and it's a minor offense at best in other places. He deserves to be shot because he was smoking pot and texting about firearms? Awesome.

Repeat violent offenders usually get stiffer penalties, this isn't my bias. George Zimmerman's actions did not occur in a singular vacuum.

I don't believe he should have been given his gun back.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, Pennsylvania! Say it isn't so!

I'm gonna guess numbers talk. I would expect Illinois to not be far behind. We're talking some of the largest states in the country in terms of people and capita, right?

EDIT: Confirmed, totally.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

Top six states by GDP:
    California
    Texas
    New York
    Florida
    Illinois
    Pennsylvania
    Well, the OJ Trial was in California after all!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Well, the OJ Trial was in California after all!
    ...I think we're onto something big here.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Herp derp derp derp...bias such as mine? Have you seen my multiple posts where I said this isn't about race, but about Zimmerman being ASPD?

I'm done with you too.
    I didn't call you a racist. I called you biased. Having aspd isn't a crime nor does it help you determine whether there is a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was acting in self defense.

Actually it's not "meaningless psychobabble" he fits the profile for ASPD. He has a pattern of violent behavior toward people weaker than himself (molestation, domestic violence, being fired for being overly aggressive with patrons). They went for the wrong charge. I stand by those who say "not guilty but not innocent" in that they should have approached this case from a different angle...and they will.

There will be a re-trial.
    Lol. Wut???

He was in fact told not to pursue Martin by police dispatch. Do you get all of your information from Reason magazine, or just from Ann Coulter appearances?
    "We don't need you to do that" is not the same as being told not to pursue.

You could even argue the dispatcher tacitly consented to him pursuing when he agreed to have the police not meet him at his car, but wherever Zimmerman ended up being ny having the police call him.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Have you ever heard of math?

So you're cool with rape then. Got it. Now I know to never take a post of yours seriously.
    Apparently rape is only acceptable when it's lust for a what Mal thinks is a hot girl. If it's an act of violence toward someone Mal doesn't personally find attractive, then he questions the offender's sanity.