Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I didn't call you a racist. I called you biased. Having aspd isn't a crime nor does it help you determine whether there is a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was acting in self defense.]
    Any psychiatric speculations aside, Zimmerman has a history of violence. That isn't bias, that's a fact. He's a man with a problem with violence.

And part of what is wrong with the United States is that Zimmerman was even handed his gun back.

I know you're big on vigilante gun violence, so that's why I'm done with you. I know anything I say will be dismissed cause you think playing cop is cool.

Lol. Wut???
    Not a re-trial...another trial from a different angle, like wrongful death, etc. and I hope they go for something reasonable this time like taking his privilege to hold firearms away and putting him into court ordered therapy.

That's what they needed to do, not go for a murder charge.

"We don't need you to do that" is not the same as being told not to pursue.

You could even argue the dispatcher tacitly consented to him pursuing when he agreed to have the police not meet him at his car, but wherever Zimmerman ended up being ny having the police call him.
    Neighborhood watch programs tell watch persons not to follow "suspects" they aren't supposed to be armed, and I can't say that I've ever seen ANYWHERE that it's legal to follow someone who you think might be suspicious with a gun, in a public place.

That isn't self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Any psychiatric speculations aside, Zimmerman has a history of violence. That isn't bias, that's a fact. He's a man with a problem with violence.

And part of what is wrong with the United States is that Zimmerman was even handed his gun back.

I know you're big on vigilante gun violence, so that's why I'm done with you. I know anything I say will be dismissed cause you think playing cop is cool.
    Lol. No. I actually don't support stand your ground laws. I think people have a duty to retreat.

Moreover, supporting not throwing people in jail when there's reasonable doubt about whether they killed someone in self defense is not the same as supporting vigilantism.

Not a re-trial...another trial from a different angle, like wrongful death, etc. and I hope they go for something reasonable this time like taking his privilege to hold firearms away and putting him into court ordered therapy.

That's what they needed to do, not go for a murder charge.
    Just stop.

Your ignorance is showing.

Wrongful death is a civil action.

There's fed hate crime action that could be taken (even that's sketchy), but the state is done.
    We have this thing called double jeopardy.

Neighborhood watch programs tell watch persons not to follow "suspects" they aren't supposed to be armed, and I can't say that I've ever seen ANYWHERE that it's legal to follow someone who you think might be suspicious with a gun, in a public place.

That isn't self-defense.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Of course it's legal to follow someone while armed.
    Might be damned stupid, but it's legal.

Please cite me the law that limits someone's ability to move freely in a public area when they're carrying a firearm.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRainbows View Post
    I think this type of thinking is scary.
    Bows, Zimmerman took the law into his own hands. Duck is saying that people now want to take the law into their own hands against Zimmerman. That's why he's saying, in a kind of even-Steven way...it is justice.

If it's so scary to you, I hope you also don't advocate citizen militias, teachers carrying guns, etc.

A lot of what *some* (not all) pro-gun toting libertarians propose is EXACTLY this kind of thinking that so scares you.

It scares me too, but it's a fact of life, that when people take the law into their own hands, they have to deal with the repercussions of others taking the law into their own hands as well.

That's exactly why anarcho-capitalism will never work. You'll give away your "oppressive" government, only now to met with citizens watches made up of George Zimmermans, the KKK, and Sug Knight types.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Lol. No. I actually don't support stand your ground laws. I think people have a duty to retreat.

Moreover, supporting not throwing people in jail when there's reasonable doubt about whether they killed someone in self defense is not the same as supporting vigilantism.

Just stop.

Your ignorance is showing.

Wrongful death is a civil action.

There's fed hate crime action that could be taken (even that's sketchy), but the state is done.
    We have this thing called double jeopardy.
    Actually the state is not done, the feds could file a civil rights suit against him...I'm just throwing possibilities out, and I'm saying he's either going to get wrongful death civil suit or a federal civil rights case which will have other penalties.

What the hell are you talking about?
    Of course it's legal to follow someone while armed.
    Might be damned stupid, but it's legal.

Please cite me the law that limits someone's ability to move freely in a public area when they're carrying a firearm.
    You can't just follow around people you think are suspicious and shoot them. That's entirely different than walking down the street armed, minding your own business.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Wow. So little facts in this case pursuant to the statutes he was tried for. Im not saying he is guilty or not because that isn't the issue. The question is NOT about guilt or innocence but 'Is there enough evidence to convict' That's the question that everyone should answer. Unfortunately, the state didn't prove their case. Much like in Casey Anthony's trial. Public opinion is just that. Thank god that we have a system that doesn't work on it.

The evidence presented did not show sufficient proof to convict him. This happens EVERYDAY with rape and molestation cases (his word against hers) and aquittals happen.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

I love how Martin smoking pot was considered relevant and Zimmerman's history of domestic violence, resisting arrest, and assaulting a police officer are overlooked. The guy was a timebomb.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I still don't even know what to think about this case. Maybe Zimmerman is everything people say he is, but there's simply no proof that he murdered Martin. Maybe he's just a really good liar, maybe not. No way of knowing. As it is, he had to be let free. There was no proof that he actually murdered the kid and didn't kill him in self defense. That's all you can go off of.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Ginkgo

What sort of message does the verdict of this case send to black households? That black minors shouldn't even look remotely suspicious around potential law-enforcement? (No reaching in ones pockets, no wearing hoodies, no doing anything that would be disregarded if the minor was white?)

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    When I saw the video with LeVar Burton it sparked a few ideas that I thought were interesting.

First, believe it or not, I do the same thing as Mr. Burton when pulled over, but for different reasons.

1. Police officers get shot during routine traffic stops. To avoid feelings of anxiety/concern on the part of the officer, I place my keys on my roof and my hands outside of the window to put the officer at ease. Why make a stressful job more stressful?
    2. Showing an officer that you respect his/her feelings, and understand the risk that comes with interacting with a stranger who may want to kill you, typically puts him/her in a more lenient mood.

Two people doing the same thing for very different reasons and with very different feelings motivating that behavior. To me, it is a matter-of-fact sort of behavior that is meant to maximize positive outcomes and minimize negative feelings. To Mr. Burton, it speaks to societal prejudice.

Second, when I was a kid, I lived with my dad and stepmother for several years; they had two children together (my half-brothers). Whenever my stepmother would chastise me for something I did, I would take it especially hard. Now that I’m older and my younger brothers are the same age as I was, I see that she chastises them in a similar way, but they don’t give a shit. The difference? She is their mother and they know she loves them; she isn’t my mother and I always felt like the 3rd wheel (an unwelcome presence). Certainly there are things she does for them that she didn’t do for me, like babying them and kissing them and some other things, but she wasn’t unkind to me.

Because I was more sensitive to her chastising, she had a more difficult time dealing with me. This, in turn, actually did create some feelings of resentment on her part. I would pick up on these, and get more defensive. Things would escalate.

The point here is that the overarching/historical perception of inequality bleeds into everything that a person does. Behaviors that are free from prejudice (on the part of the actor), might be perceived as prejudice by the object of those actions because of other factors at play. We need to show sensitivity to those who exist in the so called “3rd wheel” universe, but such individuals should also try their best to break the habit of viewing everything through the prism of hate and prejudice (it’s not a fun place to be).

I liked this post.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    FREE

Default Zimmerman Rescues Family Trapped in SUV

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19735432&sid=81

George Zimmerman, who has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, emerged to help rescue a family who was trapped in an overturned vehicle, police said today.

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of Dana and Mark Gerstle and their two children, who were trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla. at approximately 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and route Route 46, police said. The crash site is less than a mile from where Zimmerman shot Martin.

By the time police arrived, two people - including Zimmerman - had already helped the family get out of the overturned car, the sheriff's office said. No one was reported to be injured.

Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after speaking with the deputy, police said.

It's the first known sighting of Zimmerman since he left the courtroom following his controversial acquittal last week on murder charges for the death of Martin. Zimmerman, 29, shot and killed Martin, 17, in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2012. The jury determined that Zimmerman shot Martin in self-defense.

READ MORE: 'Justice for Trayvon' Rallies Bring Martin's Family to the Fight

The acquittal prompted dozens of protests across the country this past weekend and his lawyers have said that Zimmerman has been the subject of death threats. His lawyers said Zimmerman has been wearing a bullet-proof vest when he ventures out in public.

Zimmerman's parents told ABC News' Barbara Walters they too have received death threats and have been unable to return to their home.

Zimmerman's Parents in Hiding from 'Enormous Amount of Death Threats': ABC News Exclusive

"We have had an enormous amount of death threats. George's legal counsel has had death threats, the police chief of Sanford, many people have had death threats," Zimmerman's father, Robert Zimmerman said."'Everyone with Georgie's DNA should be killed' -- just every kind of horrible thing you can imagine."

An indication of the animosity toward Zimmerman is the number of threatening phone calls being received by a woman in Winter Park, Fla.

Lori Tankel told ABCNews.com that someone had incorrectly posted her cell phone number online thinking it was Zimmerman's. She said she started receiving threatening calls within an hour after the jury had reached a verdict on July 13.

"They were saying things like, 'Zimmerman? Is this George? We're going to get you, we're going to kill you,'" she said.

Her cell phone number is only one digit off from Zimmerman's, she said.

Tankel said she received at least 80 phone calls within one day of the jury's not guilty verdict. While the threats died down during the week, she said they ramped right back up again on Friday and continued through the weekend.

"Those phone calls were extremely malicious," she said. "I think at that point, they kind of knew it wasn't George Zimmerman's number, but they were still going to harass me."

Tankel said she initially reported the threatening calls to the the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, but was told to follow up with law enforcement in Orange County, Fla., where she lives, to file a report, she said.

But Tankel she said she won't be changing her number anytime soon.

"I'm a sales representative for several different horse-related companies, and I have five states in my territory," she said. "To change business cards and contact everybody, it's not that simple."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]