MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default High Schools Are Abandoning the Federal School Lunch Program

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...lunch-standar/

"New York's Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district has become the latest casualty in first lady Michelle Obama’s preferred lunch plan, dropping the menu after too many students complained of hunger."

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture is in charge of managing the lunch program and estimates Mrs. Obama’s new wish list for student meals would cost about $3.2 billion to bring to fruition around the nation."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

From the article linked in the OP:
    Students felt they weren’t getting good value for their money,” Ms. Boehm said in EAGNews.org. “The high schoolers especially complained the portion sizes were too small and many more students brought in lunch from home.
    Students should be bringing their lunch from home. School lunches with poor nutritional quality are still less cost effective than making a healthy lunch at home, and the improvements will only make them more expensive. The fellow in the TED talk is right: people need to understand food, and go back to preparing meals at home from fresh ingredients.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I received a rep asking how my suggestion above would work in reality, and pointing that not all families can afford healthy food.

First, if a family cannot afford healthy food, they cannot afford school lunches. If they are receiving subsidized/free lunches, they may have to rely on people like the TED speaker to show the schools how to improve lunch quality without increasing cost. As the speaker pointed out, this takes not simply financial knowledge, but culinary knowledge as well. I bet this is the missing piece of the puzzle in many school districts. (It is amazing how financially inefficient schools are in many of the things they do, especially given how much they whine for funding increases.)

Second, I understand better quality food is difficult to access in some places, but I suspect it is possible with some forethought and creativity. Again, it comes down to information as much as money. The truth of this is seen in the poor eating habits of plenty of people who can easily afford high quality fresh food. It isn't all about money, though money always makes things easier. Of course it would also help to improve the food selection in the parts of the U.S. where it is now lacking, and to shift the content of our ubiquitous fast food so it is more healthy for those who do eat it. The content and marketing of food are driven, of course, by the profit motive. The food industry needs to realize, however, just like everyone else, that it is more expensive in the long run for the current and future generations to experience all the health problems associated with obesity and other diet-related ailments. Another case of short term gains vs. long term economic viability.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^ I agree with this. Fresh food usually ultimately comes out cheaper than junk food.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I eat healthy... because I'm broke. lmao.

fried rice, yeehaw!

MBTI
    INTP

If everyone ate beans and rice there would be no hunger, no poverty, and everybody would be ripped (and gassy)