User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default It's looking like Zimmerman is going to be Acquitted

It will be interesting to see what the public fallout over this ends up being.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimm...ry?id=19598422

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As far as I'm concerned, the most eyebrow raising thing about the whole story was that the polic department apparently dragged its feet on looking into the situation. However, everyone seemed to decide to forget about that quite some time ago. I've had nothing to say as long as the discussion was all about team Zimmerman vs team Martin.

And frankly I'm tired of how court proceedings have displaced hockey as the fourth most popular professional sport in the USA.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the most eyebrow raising thing about the whole story was that the polic department apparently dragged its feet on looking into the situation. However, everyone seemed to decide to forget about that quite some time ago. I've had nothing to say as long as the discussion was all about team Zimmerman vs team Martin.

And frankly I'm tired of how court proceedings have displaced hockey as the fourth most popular professional sport in the USA.
    Elections are also up there.

I'm also not sure how it helps the legal process to make these trials so public. At the very least, I feel that the names should be withheld, so that people aren't unnecessarily stigmatized. This isn't so much about this specific trial, but rather a general statement about high profile legal cases. I'm not sure how subjecting justice to the keen analysis of the mass media is a positive development. More should be done to protect the identities of both the plantifs and the defendants. Psuedonyms?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Shocker. Fucking Florida.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Shocker. Fucking Florida.
    This^. Outrageous. It is not acceptable to follow someone, provoke them and then kill them for responding.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    This^. Outrageous. It is not acceptable to follow someone, provoke them and then kill them for responding.
    Given the facts of the case, I don't think (and it seems like the law agrees) that Zimmerman's actions amount to a legally justifiable provocation for assault.

More to the point, I don't feel like Zimmerman went into this with the intention of shooting Martin. Apparently there had been a rash of burglaries in the neighborhood.

While that doesn't mean that Zimmerman's actions weren't dumb, it does somewhat explain them. At the end of the day, if Martin doesn't assault Zimmerman everybody goes home.

Legally the case turns on whether or not a reasonable man would be in fear of death or great bodily harm if placed in the same situation. Given that witness testimony established the fact that Martin was straddling Zimmerman while repeatedly striking him, it's going to be tough for the prosecution to meet the legal threshold for Murder 2 which in FL is:

An act is “imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind” if it is an act or series of acts that:

- a person of ordinary judgment would know is reasonably certain to kill or do serious bodily injury to another, and
    - is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and
    - is of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life.
    I don't even think they have enough for manslaughter.

But that's just the legal stuff, which I don't think many here care that much about.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The doctor who examined this fool after the murder, said that his injuries were superficial. His life was never in danger. He's an idiot, and a child rapist by his own admission. He should be sent up for that alone. But I forgot: this is Florida! you can shoot and fuck kids and get away with it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    The doctor who examined this fool after the murder, said that his injuries were superficial. His life was never in danger. He's an idiot, and a child rapist by his own admission. He should be sent up for that alone. But I forgot: this is Florida! you can shoot and fuck kids and get away with it.
    Did Martin need to break Zimmerman's eye socket before (in your estimation) he could reasonably believe that he was in danger of great bodily harm or death?

I don't think if a guy comes at you with a knife and you shoot him, the fact that he hasn't stabbed you yet doesn't mean that you unreasonably feared for your life and safety.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Wicka, wicka, wild, wild U S

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Did Martin need to break Zimmerman's eye socket before (in your estimation) he could reasonably believe that he was in danger of great bodily harm or death?

I don't think if a guy comes at you with a knife and you shoot him, the fact that he hasn't stabbed you yet doesn't mean that you unreasonably feared for your life and safety.
    There was no knife, and no broken eye socket. His injuries were not life threatening. Why didn't he shoot before Martin was on top of him? I find it interesting that you continue to defend a fool like this. Could you have another agenda other than 'justice' (whatever that means in Florida).