User Tag List

First 334142434445 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    On the other hand, why the hell would someone pursue a situation seen as a threat to the neighborhood, while carrying a gun, but never use that gun as a deterrent, instead only bringing it out as of the point that the shit is being kicked out of them? It seems odd.
    Maybe because he was tailing him, not trying to make some sort of citizen's arrest like in the movies, and maybe, like most people with concealed weapons, he did not want to bring a gun into the situation unless it became necessary (which would explain why he initially called for help instead using the gun, and fired a single shot for the purpose of ending the immediate threat, rather than multiple shots to neutralize any possibility of a threat recurring.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    This is a major point.
    That is a major point but there's not just terrible judgement involves, some of they are highly charged affect and emotionally driven individuals too. They'll be fine with the loss of life when compromise, such as letting someone drive off your truck, will allow for the preservation of life.

I've had people flip out online and tell me they'd like to kill me and make it look like an accident for what I've posted in threads and been pretty fine with having acted that way, not so much as a "wow, bit of an over reaction there", those are the sorts of people who're big on gun slinging and ensuring the law protects shooting first and thinking later. They come in every political persuasion its possible to dream of but bad tempered or possibly alcoholic is a sort of steady fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's interesting.

There were similar so called "stand your ground" situations in the UK and ROI, home invasions, in the UK one the guy chased two guys off, firings shots and wounding them, he then shot one dead, in the back while he lay in a ditch. This came out eventually rather than immediately.

There was some talk about how the guy was afraid that they would be back and in greater numbers (like sand people ) but clearly the judgement was that popping caps in that scenario is a lot different to chasing them down.

In both scenarios the guys involved didnt just receive detention in their sentencing but a lot of support of a psychological or therapeutic nature because they were found to have been living very isolated and reclusive existences, now that was part of what had led to them being targetted by the criminals they killed and there's no question, especially in the ROI example the criminals had long, extensive and violent records whereas the shooters didnt, but all the same the lives they'd been living are bound to have effected their judgement.

There's a lot of gun fans I know who fit the necrophilious rather than the biophilious mode of thinking or existence, ie prefering dead, mechanical things to living things or people, and that's concerning but I can also easily see how guns could be used to protect or save life too.
    Ftr, this isn't a stand your ground case. I don't know why that keeps coming up because the evidence doesn't indicate that at the time Martin was shot Zimmerman had the ability to retreat.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I think being ground and pounded for 40 seconds with one's head bouncing off the payment would make me reasonably fear for my life or great bodily harm. In MMA, you know the other or the ref will stop it once you're out, or tap, or can't defend yourself.

In the street there is no such assurance.
    Exactly how many people are beaten to death with fists in the streets of the US each year? I'm wondering, objectively, how reasonable your fear is. I'm certain that number is significantly lower, if not orders of magnitude lower, than the number of people shot to death on the streets each year.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If I had just been in a verbal argument with that person, yes. Guns are many, many, many times more dangerous than fists.
    So you are more frightened of anyone you've argued with (because concealed weapons are concealed and you wont know they're carrying till they pull) than someone actively beating you?

Your thought process must be pretty curious indeed.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Exactly how many people are beaten to death with fists in the streets of the US each year? I'm wondering, objectively, how reasonable your fear is. I'm certain that number is significantly lower, if not orders of magnitude lower, than the number of people shot to death on the streets each year.
    In 2011 728 people were murdered with hands, fists, feet etc..

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

In the same year rifles killed 323 people.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So you are more frightened of anyone you've argued with (because concealed weapons are concealed and you wont know they're carrying till they pull) than someone actively beating you?

Your thought process must be pretty curious indeed.
    I'm more afraid of guns than fists. It takes a lot of time and energy to kill someone with fists. It takes a split second and very little energy to kill someone with a gun.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In 2011 728 people were murdered with hands, fists, feet etc..

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

In the same year rifles killed 323 people.
    Ummm. Rifles? That page lists all fire arms combined at 8,583.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It takes a lot of time and energy to kill someone with fists.
    You'd be surprised.

MBTI
    INTP

I am 100% FOR the right to use lethal force to defend yourself and your family in your home (Castle Doctrine?). Once you step outside your home (or off of your property), it's a completely different story.
    I consider the right of self-defense to extend to situations where one's head is getting pounded into the pavement while you're calling for help.