User Tag List

First 20282930313240 Last

Results 291 to 300 of 473

  1. #291
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't have a side unless being for "putting dangerous people in jail" is a side. Regardless of whether or not anyone can prove Zimmerman broke the law, he's a dangerous person. He has already killed once, either out of malice or stupidity.

    Keep in mind, I'm the type of person who thinks the sentence for a second DUI should be 20 to life. Recklessness is no excuse.
    Well, I much rather live in a society that doesn't hold people accountable for crimes on a strict liability basis. If that makes society more dangerous then so be it.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #292
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Well, I much rather live in a society that doesn't hold people accountable for crimes on a strict liability basis. If that makes society more dangerous then so be it.
    Why? So you can do something stupid and not pay the price?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #293
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's horrible.
    You're horrible.

  4. #294
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why? So you can do something stupid and not pay the price?
    Generally, if I do something that is merely stupid with no criminal intent then I very well may owe compensation to those I have harmed on a civil basis, but I owe nothing to society and the state as I haven't breached my moral duty to them.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #295
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    This is one issue I absolutely agree with you on. Zimmerman, Anthony, and Simpson are all probably guilty, but our system works on money and ability of liars. I mean lawyers.
    The one time I was being interviewed for jury duty, I found out what the case was about. It a Federal case about zoning Something about self-storage vs. Bristol Township PA. I never did end up getting picked, so I never learned the specifics, I couldn't help but think "This is probably a case that only exists so that lawyers, and propbably the self-storage guys, can make money." It occurred to me that there are a lot more cases going on than I know about, regarding things I never dreamed of. I suddenly understood how the legal profression seems to have no difficulty finding work, despite how many people go to law school. A lot of cases are probably about nothing more than getting people money.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  6. #296
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    This is one of the best responses to the verdict I've seen thus far. Its the most upvoted comment on the verdict article in The Atlantic

    Somehow I have a feeling that if he'd been found guilty, you'd be saying the law delivered justice, that we don't see through a glass darkly, that the nation had lifted its moral burden, and that we can all breathe easier. Something tells me that the law is only complex and impure when it doesn't go your way.

    Two men met in a dark street. No one saw what happened next. One was hurt, one died. I have no feelings either way, nor can I; I don't know what happened that night, and something so laden with symbols for the country would never end well. Any conclusions beyond that are just the fancies of the Rorschach test you've given yourself in a situation where the full truth will never be truly known.

  7. #297
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Generally, if I do something that is merely stupid with no criminal intent then I very well may owe compensation to those I have harmed on a civil basis, but I owe nothing to society and the state as I haven't breached my moral duty to them.
    Acting recklessly where someone could be seriously injured or killed is criminal intent, IMO. I'm not saying all accidents where someone dies should have someone going to prison, but if someone acted recklessly, such as driving drunk or chasing black kids in the dark while armed, they absolutely should go to prison for a long, long time.

    If I was writing my own "10 commandments", one of them would be "Don't be reckless".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #298
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Acting recklessly where someone could be seriously injured or killed is criminal intent, IMO. I'm not saying all accidents where someone dies should have someone going to prison, but if someone acted recklessly, such as driving drunk or chasing black kids in the dark while armed, they absolutely should go to prison for a long, long time.

    If I was writing my own "10 commandments", one of them would be "Don't be reckless".


    I don't a problem with recklessness being able to establish criminal intent in certain cases, however you can't hold someone accountable for recklessness when the recklessness involves their inability to foresee the voluntary acts of another person. If the evidence pointed to Zimmerman mishandling his gun and accidentally shooting Martin then, yes, that would be recklessness.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  9. #299
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't a problem with recklessness being able to establish criminal intent in certain cases, however you can't hold someone accountable for recklessness when the recklessness involves their inability to foresee the voluntary acts of another person. If the evidence pointed to Zimmerman mishandling his gun and accidentally shooting Martin then, yes, that would be recklessness.
    You can use the same reasoning with drunk driving accidents. You can't expect the driver to know someone would be in the oncoming lane! It was 4am! That was a voluntary act of another person.

    The reality is driving drunk is asking for trouble, as is chasing people at night while carrying a loaded weapon.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #300
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You can use the same reasoning with drunk driving accidents. You can't expect the driver to know someone would be in the oncoming lane! It was 4am! That was a voluntary act of another person.

    The reality is driving drunk is asking for trouble, as is chasing people at night while carrying a loaded weapon.
    CCW is the right policy.

Similar Threads

  1. New York is going to be destroyed by fire
    By draon9 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM
  2. Looks like we are going to Syria
    By The Great One in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM
  3. It's looking like we might be able to break up the malicious super-banks after all!
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
  4. So it's going to be 75 degrees on Christmas
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 01:44 AM
  5. Obama is going to face international crisis PROMISES Biden
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO