User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If my kids have the misfortune to be followed home from a candy run by a man with a gun, I wouldn't think they were the one in the wrong if they "struck first and asked questions later." And if one of my kids were shot and killed by said man with gun, I would expect that man to be arrested immediately and serve serious time.
    Or you could just go to the shooters house and blast him and all his surviving relatives retaliation stylee.

Bound to make all the trigger happy goons think a bit before popping caps.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Or you could just go to the shooters house and blast him and all his surviving relatives retaliation stylee.

Bound to make all the trigger happy goons think a bit before popping caps.
    "An eye for an eye will leave everyone blind."

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Zimmerman seems like a dipshit wannabe cop. I don't want random jackasses going around harassing people for saying or doing anything unusual because they watched Boondock Saints and Nancy Grace amber alerts too much. Guys like Zimmerman are a security threat.

It's not a legal analysis, just a statement of my feelings about the situation. I haven't been following the case closely enough to have any meaningful statement regarding that.

However, it seems me to justice requires some kind of punishment for Zimmerman. Starting a fight, and then claiming you are acting in self-defense when it turns out you aren't winning isn't morally upstanding behavior. And yes, you can start fights even if you weren't the first person to land a blow. If you intentionally provoke someone enough that someone hits you, you bear some responsibility for what happens. If the law doesn't say that, then the law is fucked up.

Of course, justice and the law aren't necessarily the same thing.

If Zimmerman gets off without punishment, or relatively lightly, expect this to give more ammunition to the gun control lobby. This is the kind of stuff that mobilizes people. It would suggest that the system is not effective as it currently exists, which usually causes people to demand change.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

As someone who lives within a 10 mile radius of this case and Casey Anthony's - I would be disappointed in us as human beings if more violence was the response to a verdict the public feels may not be deserved.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

He never should have been there. He called the police, was given clear and precise advice, and gave the cops a big ole' middle finger and kept going. For an address? It was his neighborhood. He could have returned later to get that information. He did the right thing in calling the cops. He started failing in the right thing when he tried to take the law into his own hands.

I don't think Martin is some innocent kid just walking home from a late night sunday school youth group session. He did the wrong thing in fighting the guy. Oh, and in walking in the dark by himself. Doesn't anyone get taught by their parents that being in the dark by yourself is dangerous anymore?? He was by himself, in the dark, with a guy following him. The smart thing to do is to run away, or call for help, or to calmly talk to the guy or .. ya know.. anything except assaulting a huge dude. If someone was obviously following me, we wouldn't be close enough to have a conversation, more less exchange blows if I could at all help it. And even if we did, I'd curl up in a ball with someone that big. I'd rather have taken a beating and called the police after than try to fight back and be shot dead.

No one was really smart in this situation. But if Zimmerman isn't even charged for something for being a cowboy-wannabe-vigilante then I'll be quite surprised. Maybe I'll even start wearing a super hero costume.. once I think of a catchy name.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Zimmerman seems like a dipshit wannabe cop. I don't want random jackasses going around harassing people for saying or doing anything unusual because they watched Boondock Saints and Nancy Grace amber alerts too much. Guys like Zimmerman are a security threat.

It's not a legal analysis, just a statement of my feelings about the situation. I haven't been following the case closely enough to have any meaningful statement regarding that.

However, it seems me to justice requires some kind of punishment for Zimmerman. Starting a fight, and then claiming you are acting in self-defense when it turns out you aren't winning isn't morally upstanding behavior. And yes, you can start fights even if you weren't the first person to land a blow. If you intentionally provoke someone enough that someone hits you, you bear some responsibility for what happens. If the law doesn't say that, then the law is fucked up.

Of course, justice and the law aren't necessarily the same thing.

If Zimmerman gets off without punishment, or relatively lightly, expect this to give more ammunition to the gun control lobby. This is the kind of stuff that mobilizes people. It would suggest that the system is not effective as it currently exists, which usually causes people to demand change.
    I didn't know you could start a fight without throwing a punch.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I didn't know you could start a fight without throwing a punch.
    Seems to me that he wanted something to happen by pursuing this person. If he didn't want to start some kind of confrontation, he would have left it to the police. It looks like Zimmerman picked a fight (which you can do without throwing the first blow) and turned out to be too doughy to win, so he panicked and used his gun.

Too bad there are no laws we can think of enacting that would prevent someone from being shot to death in a situation like this.

If we're not going to discourage this kind of behavior, we may as well just save taxpayer money and let people take the law into their own hands. I don't think that's an ideal situation, but we should stop with the pretenses.

Also, while this is hardly admissible evidence, there's something about Florida that seems to make everyone from their a little bit of an asshole, even if they make up for it with other redeeming qualities. Everyone I've known from Florida has been at least a little bit of an asshole, and I'm not the only person who has noticed this. I think Disney is putting something in the water.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Seems to me that he wanted something to happen by pursuing this person. If he didn't want to start some kind of confrontation, he would have left it to the police. It looks like Zimmerman picked a fight (which you can do without throwing the first blow) and turned out to be too doughy to win, so he panicked and used his gun.

Too bad there are no laws we can think of enacting that would prevent someone from being shot to death in a situation like this.

If we're not going to discourage this kind of behavior, we may as well just save taxpayer money and let people take the law into their own hands. I don't think that's an ideal situation, but we should stop with the pretenses.

Also, while this is hardly admissible evidence, there's something about Florida that seems to make everyone from their a little bit of an asshole, even if they make up for it with other redeeming qualities. Everyone I've known from Florida has been at least a little bit of an asshole, and I'm not the only person who has noticed this. I think Disney is putting something in the water.
    Where are you from?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Word. And yeah, there's a reason fark.com has a "Florida" tag.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Doesn't anyone get taught by their parents that being in the dark by yourself is dangerous anymore?? ...The smart thing to do is to run away...
    I could be wrong, but I think that for most parents, this is something taught to girls but not boys. At least, not teenage boys. In general, it seems that girls are also encouraged to escape conflict while boys are encouraged to fight. Probably in part for strength reasons, in part for outdated gender role reasons. Machoism, etc.
    -end of thread-