User Tag List

First 19272829303139 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The bold part... I'm not so sure I like that law. In an ideal, moral sense, I believe in self-defense, but I see that particular legal standard as problematic.
    I have a gay acquaintance that is permanently disfigured after having his face stomped in as he was leaving a club.

I would hate to know there is nothing to be done in such circumstance, given the law will not protect my right to defend myself, should I be able to do so.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The bold part... I'm not so sure I like that law. In an ideal, moral sense, I believe in self-defense, but I see that particular legal standard as problematic.
    In situations like this, I can see why you'd feel that way.

At the same time, I imagine that proviso is there to protect those who ARE truly in mortal danger, & defend themselves accordingly. Sometimes you can't produce concrete evidence that someone was attacking you. At the very least in this trial- witnesses could all confirm one thing- there WAS a physical altercation leading up to the gunshot (granted Z never should've approached Martin). That's more evidence than some people in more isolated situations have. Sometimes people struggle to pull a knife from someone's hands & it ends up buried in the assailant's chest. Sometimes someone follows you, tries to pull you into their car, & you happen to strike back at them, hitting them in the throat. Someone can die from that. There's no proof on your body that you were assaulted, necessarily, or even witnesses present to confirm your story.

Unfortunately, like any man-made system, it's imperfect, and prone to corruption due to the impulsive, greedy, vindictive & otherwise toxic nature of certain people.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Not reasonable doubt you [fluffy kitty]. I mean these particular Stand Your Ground laws.
    That's not the topic, you [bowling ball with arms and legs.]
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I just really wish liberals and the black community had not picked out this case to push an agenda.

There really is systemic racism in the justice system and it needs to be fixed.

This case just isn't an example of that.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I just really wish liberals and the black community had not picked out this case to push an agenda.

There really is systemic racism in the justice system and it needs to be fixed.

This case just isn't an example of that.
    I just really wish conservatives and gun nuts had not picked this case to push an agenda.

There really is an attempt by our government to repeal the second amendment...oh wait.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah, it's a shame. But it doesn't change my mind about Zimmerman any more than the Jury's ruling changed my mind about Casey Anthony.

Well, anyhow, if you have any enemies in Florida, just create a scenario for you to defend yourself against them.
    You should visit.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You should visit.
    That's all anyone should do. I used to live there. It's horrible.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I just really wish conservatives and gun nuts had not picked this case to push an agenda.

There really is an attempt by our government to repeal the second amendment...oh wait.
    I'm a bit confused, because I forget your exact position on that matter.

Nonetheless, I should make it clear I think all politicization of the case is unfortunate. As they say hard cases make bad law.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, it's a shame. But it doesn't change my mind about Zimmerman any more than the Jury's ruling changed my mind about Casey Anthony.

Well, anyhow, if you have any enemies in Florida, just create a scenario for you to defend yourself against them.
    This is one issue I absolutely agree with you on. Zimmerman, Anthony, and Simpson are all probably guilty, but our system works on money and ability of liars. I mean lawyers.

I sat in a L.A. courtroom one time randomly for a day and I was frightened.

Law isn't for me. My mother thinks it is, but anyway I'm far too honest and get far too carried away and I would probably end up getting contempt of court pretty damn fast.

I'd honestly rather be in law enforcement than be a lawyer, at least it's straight forward.

People don't seem to comprehend how much this country is based on money, money as if it's the supreme virtue.

Everything else then will follow suit. And they wonder why we sound like Marxists.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I'm a bit confused, because I forget your exact position on that matter.

Nonetheless, I should make it clear I think all politicization of the case is unfortunate. As they say hard cases make bad law.
    I don't have a side unless being for "putting dangerous people in jail" is a side. Regardless of whether or not anyone can prove Zimmerman broke the law, he's a dangerous person. He has already killed once, either out of malice or stupidity.

Keep in mind, I'm the type of person who thinks the sentence for a second DUI should be 20 to life. Recklessness is no excuse.