User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Do the unaware racists watch shows like Girls, which is pretty much the most racist thing that's ever been filmed? Everyone knows that in real life 20-something hip white girls in Manhattan have friends of lot of different races! To not the depict the one Asian friend they hung out with every couple of weeks is pretty horrendous.

In all seriousness, I do agree with the concept of unaware racism, but I think pretty much everyone has it. Some people just have it more than others.

Also the argument that racism can't be involved because Zimmerman is Latino is kind of dumb. The only way that argument might make sense is if you accept the definition of racism as something that can only come from a group with power, like white people. I don't, because that's not a sensible definition, but rather one constructed to make it easier to make a certain kind of political argument so that people can't complain about "reverse racism." While I don't think reverse racism is a major epidemic threatening American society, saying "only whites can be racist" is either such a gross oversimplification or etymological trickery. But the truth is, we don't need to believe that only whites can be racist for us to condemn racism. Racism isn't more morally depending on who it's coming from, although it can have more severe effects.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Racism involves prejudice, but not necessarily the other way around.
    So as for as you know, the people ("white ass crackers," which is not a racist term) in that area are just prejudiced against black people.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    In all seriousness, I do agree with concept of unaware racism, but I think pretty much everyone has it. Some people just have it more than others.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Apparently, it's especially true for some of the folks in Sanford.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Yeah, I agree with this. Apparently, it's especially true for some of the folks in Sanford.
    Also the argument that racism can't be involved because Zimmerman is Latino is kind of dumb. The only way that argument might make sense is if you accept the definition of racism as something that can only come from a group with power, like white people.

I don't, because that's not a sensible definition. It's one that seems to have been constructed r to make a certain kind of political argument so that people can't complain about "reverse racism." While I don't think reverse racism is a major epidemic threatening American society, saying "only whites can be racist" is either such a gross oversimplification or etymological trickery. But the truth is, we don't need to believe that only whites can be racist for us to condemn racism. Racism isn't more morally objectionable depending on who it's coming from, although it can have more severe effects.

The statement that "only whites can be racist" has a way of sweeping the fact that non-whites can be racist against other non-whites under the rug. I suppose some people will use that to say that fact to say that white racism is ok, but I almost never believe that not discussing something or ignoring a problem can have positive effects.

Of course, there is the fact that some people are adverse to digesting any kind of complexity and nuance, so that may need to be considered as well .
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    So as for as you know, the people ("white ass crackers," which is not a racist term) in that area are just prejudiced against black people.
    Depends on what their prejudice is, and if it's geared specifically towards black people. What if I'm a bitter police officer who has only four fingers on my left hand, and those damned five-fingered assholes always think they can get away with whatever they want. Well, a lot of black people have five fingers on their left hand, so, as it turns out, a lot of those black people are five-fingered assholes! Screw those guys. They're always up to no good. Oh, and those white five-fingered assholes, too. Ugh, god, why am I so alone?

Also, I think white ass cracker is definitely racist. It just has less weight than, say, the other word.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

New York City police dept. no longer allowed to specify race while investigating crime reports:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ive-policing-/
    https://www.facebook.com/jumaane.williamscouncil

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Also the argument that racism can't be involved because Zimmerman is Latino is kind of dumb. T
    There could be racism, prejudice, and bigotry on both sides. Trayvon and his lovely gf think I am a creepy white ass cracker. Should I be attacked if I happen to be following her one day? Perhaps all creepy white ass crackers should be attacked, not for committing any crime, but simply for being annoying or scary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

There could be racism, prejudice, and bigotry on both sides. Trayvon and his lovely gf think I am a creepy white ass cracker. Should I be attacked if I happen to be following her one day? Perhaps all creepy white ass crackers should be attacked, not for committing any crime, but simply for being annoying or scary.
    No, of course not. It's pretty obvious that we all agree racism is bad, no matter what form.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

No, of course not. It's pretty obvious that we all agree racism is bad, no matter what form.
    The point is that nobody focuses on what Trayvon did or why he did it. For over a year there was a huge debate over whether or not Z said the word "coons," which was overheard on the taped 911 call as he pursued Trayvon. Did Trayvon attack Z because he is white, and because he matched his own ingrained racist stereotypes of a white cracker? What if Z was a black guy?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

New York City police dept. no longer allowed to specify race while investigating crime reports:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ive-policing-/
    https://www.facebook.com/jumaane.williamscouncil
    Really? Well that's a sort of a dumb tactic, cant see that helping in the fight against crime.