User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Ginkgo

Economically, China rivals America in its global influence.

However, China has done a good job of alienating other countries in the social sphere. You could definitely drive the argument that America blasts its obnoxious horns across the globe by containing foreign military influence, but the world loves to drink its haterade too much to let us go.

Who's actually allied with China? Russia? Barely?

The only thing propelling China is a sense of entitlement to be the "Middle Kingdom" again (that nobody else cares about). Surely, it's undergone its fair share of humiliation by the West over the last century, and it's progressed from barely being able to establish trading rights with neighboring countries to being an importing/exporting powerhouse. But the nationalistic curve it's been taking recently is extremely dicey. It's a bluff that the world can't afford to believe.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Economically, China rivals America in its global influence.

However, China has done a good job of alienating other countries in the social sphere. You could definitely drive the argument that America blasts its obnoxious horns across the globe by containing foreign military influence, but the world loves to drink its haterade too much to let us go.

Who's actually allied with China? Russia? Barely?

The only thing propelling China is a sense of entitlement to be the "Middle Kingdom" again (that nobody else cares about). Surely, it's undergone its fair share of humiliation by the West over the last century, and it's progressed from barely being able to establish trading rights with neighboring countries to being an importing/exporting powerhouse. But the nationalistic curve it's been taking recently is extremely dicey. It's a bluff that the world can't afford to believe.
    This is all true. (Are you on downers?)

But it's debatable that China actually wants connection to the outside world. They spent a looooong time believing in self sufficiency, and their present economic success is I think basically a huge surprise to them. It's not like they actually did anything sensible to make it happen. And while they do bleat on about their 5000 years of history and the supposed land it entails, that's a gigantic us-vs-them identity. Assuming China has any kind of global ambition beyond securing the homeland is--well, you'd have to credit them with actual ability.

Meanwhile, they'd really love a capability such as the NSA has. And given how much practice they have at economic espionage (and internal surveillance), you can't imagine it's too far away. And they're building drones already. And the US military is winding down its spending. Higher tech arms companies selling weapons systems as opposed to simple guns would have to see Asia as a growth market--India and China particularly. And just like with cars, these buyers will demand some of the weapons be manufactured locally, so local industries can grow. Look to a future where India arms the nice Asians and China arms the rest. Hooray!
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

But it's debatable that China actually wants connection to the outside world. They spent a looooong time believing in self sufficiency, and their present economic success is I think basically a huge surprise to them. It's not like they actually did anything sensible to make it happen. And while they do bleat on about their 5000 years of history and the supposed land rights that go along with that, that's a gigantic us-vs-them identity. Assuming China has any kind of global ambition beyond securing the homeland is--well, you'd have to credit them with actual ability.

Meanwhile, they'd really love a capability such as the NSA has. And given how much practice they have at economic espionage (and internal surveillance), you can't imagine it's too far away. And they're building drones already. And the US military is winding down its spending. Arms companies looking for new buyers would have to see Asia as a growth market--India and China particularly. And just like with cars, these buyers will also demand some of the weapons be manufactured locally, so local industries can grow. Look to a future where India arms the nice Asians and China arms the rest. Hooray!

Ginkgo

But it's debatable that China actually wants connection to the outside world. They spent a looooong time believing in self sufficiency, and their present economic success is I think basically a huge surprise to them. It's not like they actually did anything sensible to make it happen. And while they do bleat on about their 5000 years of history and the supposed land it entails, that's a gigantic us-vs-them identity. Assuming China has any kind of global ambition beyond securing the homeland is--well, you'd have to credit them with actual ability.

Meanwhile, they'd really love a capability such as the NSA has. And given how much practice they have at economic espionage (and internal surveillance), you can't imagine it's too far away. And they're building drones already. And the US military is winding down its spending. Higher tech arms companies selling weapons systems as opposed to simple guns would have to see Asia as a growth market--India and China particularly. And just like with cars, these buyers will demand some of the weapons be manufactured locally, so local industries can grow. Look to a future where India arms the nice Asians and China arms the rest. Hooray!
    But anyway, it does want connections with the outside world and it sees the U.S.'s military influence as an impediment. It's an inevitable necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Can I just say now how hilarious I find it that mole the muslim hater is being so vocal against a legal surveillance program of foreign terrorism.
    May I have a moment of personal explanation, please.

Every day I speak with my friend Ali, a practising muslim. I don't hate Ali, in fact I rather like him. And of course I don't hate all muslims.

In fact I support moderate muslims while I don't support violent muslims.

This is very much how I regard my fellow Australians: I support the moderate and don't support the violent.

Just down the road from me is Harmon, a high tech military base which operates PRISM.

PRISM sucks in and records and analyses all our phone calls and internet connections, and then links them up. It is a vast and sophisticated system.

However unlike the USA we do not have a free speech guarantee in our Constitution.

Free Speech is a real thing in the USA and this can be seen on this American site. And we should be grateful.

MBTI
    INTJ

But anyway, it does want connections with the outside world and it sees the U.S.'s military influence as an impediment. It's an inevitable necessity.
    They want the South China sea so they can hold everyone hostage. Beyond that, and all your technology, what else do they want? SELL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE CHINA MYTH, THEY CAN'T EVEN DIRECT NORTH KOREA.

The rise and rise of China is vastly over-rated.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Ginkgo

They want the South China sea so they can hold everyone hostage. Beyond that, and all your technology, what else do they want? SELL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE CHINA MYTH, THEY CAN'T EVEN DIRECT NORTH KOREA.

The rise and rise of China is vastly over-rated.
    And so the sleeping giant persists...

Ginkgo

MBTI
    INTJ

And so the sleeping giant persists...
    It's a sleeping midget. With two heads. A Siamese twin. And they ate a lot of people.

Boy meets Grr