User Tag List

Thread: lol,jk fail

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default lol,jk fail

Justin Carter, Teen Jailed For Facebook Comment, Reportedly On Suicide Watch

Justin Carter, the Texas teen jailed over a sarcastic Facebook comment, is reportedly on suicide watch.

"He's very depressed, very scared, and ... concerned that he's not going to get out," Carter's father, Jack, said in an interview with CNN Tuesday. "He's pretty much lost all hope."

Carter, 19, was arrested in February of this year following an argument he had on Facebook regarding "League of Legends," an online video game.

"[S]omeone had said something to the effect of 'Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head,’" Jack recalled to ABC affiliate KVUE in an earlier interview. "To which [Justin] replied 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were 'lol and jk' [all sic]."

Despite the teen's insistence of "lol" and "jk" -- internet shorthand for "laughing out loud" and "just kidding," respectively -- a woman who came across the comment on Facebook failed to see the humor. She alerted police after realizing Carter lived near an elementary school. On February 13, a judge authorized a search warrant. A warrant for Carter's arrest came one week later, reports WPTV.

Given recent school-related violence, the threat was taken seriously, meaning Carter has been charged with making a "terroristic threat," a felony that carries up to an eight-year prison sentence. His bail: $500,000, reports NPR, an amount his family can't pay, thus keeping him behind bars.

"Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection," Jack elaborated on Justin's current condition in jail. "He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3542770.html

Careful, folks: internet is indeed srs bsns.

lol

jk
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

^I also heard he was beat-up in prison....I want judicial heads to roll over this (and in case that dumb paranoid lady is reading this, I meant that metaphorically).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    (and in case that dumb paranoid lady is reading this, I meant that metaphorically).
    Yeah, right. *imprisoned*
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4?9

One of the more ridiculous stories I've seen come as a result of the American legal system recently.

The fact is that, even if (when) the case is thrown out for being the ludicrous mockery of justice that it is, the poor kid's life will never be the same and he'll likely be permanently damaged by the experience.

Yes what he said was in poor taste, but it's no different than the thousands and thousands of similar and worse things that people say in jest on the internet, especially in gaming circles (think of them what you will) and also in real life. That somebody reported it shows a profound inability to read context (or plain old spite and busybodying), but the idea that not only was it taken seriously enough that law enforcement had to get involved at all but that this kid is now imprisoned and facing terrorism related charges is absolutely mind-boggling. Can law enforcement folks not exercise any kind of judgement anymore? Are they just putting statements through keyword engines and coming out with a result "Ayup, turrism!" and then sending out the drones?

If they wanted to show the kid what he said was not on, then a knock at the door by a policeman, a quiet word to the parents and a stern warning to the kid would've probably been enough to scare the pants off him. If they really, really wanted to make an example of him then maybe a public dressing down in a local magistrates court (or whatever your equivalent is there) and some mandatory counseling. Even that is honestly way out of proportion, in my opinion, but I get that the USA is very sensitive about stuff like that right now. But the kid is on suicide watch now because he made a stupid joke on Facebook.

Unbelievable.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

When I first glance over this story, I had actually thought it was not in the USA. It was more reminiscent of the hyper vigilante threatening or offensive commentary laws they have in many European countries. Alas, it turns out it was here. Specifically, it was Texas, and with that my ability to be surprised at anything retarded washed away.

His being physically assaulted is nothing short of injustice. In the past few years that I've worked either with Probation and Parole or the Department of Corrections, we hear about this constantly. We have all these stupid little seminars about how to "address" prison assault and prison rape, but I don't think any of them actually mean anything. Nothing seems to improve. Sadly I think a lot of the American people are hard to sell on this. A lot of them have gotten the idea through their heads that prison is supposed to be unpleasant so we shouldn't intervene in unpleasant things that happen in prison. But this story is exactly why we should. The whole point is to let someone serve their sentence, and not ordeals that are outside of the details of their sentence.
    Go to sleep, iguana.