12 Last

Thread: Coup in Egypt

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Obviously, this means freedom and puppies for everyone.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

They could have waited a couple of weeks until after I had finished my vacation there. Waiting until a few days before I'm set to fly out so I can't re-arrange. How terribly inconsiderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    They could have waited a couple of weeks until after I had finished my vacation there. Waiting until a few days before I'm set to fly out so I can't re-arrange. How terribly inconsiderate.
    I think its unfortunate but that's probably going to be the widespread opinion about this in the west.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm surprised there's not more response to this thread. But personally, I don't know enough about world politics or Egyptian politics to know how to respond to this. I'm interested, though. I have an Egyptian neighbor who is very excited about it. It seems like a step forward for secular government, but what do I know? I guess this was a largely bloodless coup, right? A small number of people died in clashes following the coup but things seem to have settled down for now, though I suppose tensions could reignite as pro-Morsi protestors ramp up their efforts in the coming days.

Seriously, I know nothing. I often feel lost in international politics. Right now the latest update on the CNN link in the OP is that the former anti-Morsi protestors are now organizing to clean up Tahrir Square, and that seems like a classy move. Yeah, cleaning is nice! You guys are nice. I guess. Help me out here, lol.

Lame observation of no import to anyone: they have Hardee's in Egypt? I thought Hardee's was strictly a Southern US phenomenon. Figured if it were international it would be Carl's Jr.

From what I understand Egypt is at risk of severe food shortages (I'm talking mass starvation here) and the people believe I guess that the new government will be able to alleviate the squeeze the problems are causing. In the end I assume they will try and tear down the Aswan Dam so the annual Nile floods can re-occur.

Either that or the usual cocktail of unemployment, police brutality and government corruption.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It has become a pretty ugly situation all around, but as of this point I suppose it is a positive thing. Generally one does not want to see a democratically elected individual removed by a military force, but Morsi was acting like he never wanted anyone else to be elected again, and had no interest in power sharing. He also just seemed to be plainly incompetent.

In the long term, it shows how large the military looms. Even if another leader is elected, we see how easily the military can make the decisions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I can't help but feel that this either ends in civil war or a military dictatorship. I'm rather puzzled by all the optimism.... these kinds of situations rarely end well. Morsi was a choad, but I'm not sure if a coup was the best thing to happen to Egypt.

But then, I'm not not an optimistic person, as OKcupid and others inform me.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I can't help but feel that this either ends in civil war or a military dictatorship.
    I agree those are the most likely outcomes, but that was also my opinion of Muslim Brotherhood rule, and the Arab spring in Egypt; the large majority of Egyptian Muslims simply hold extremist views that are incompatible with even the modest wishes of the anti-theocratic factions, who are themselves a chaotic mish-mash of ideological groups with largely mutually exclusive goals. Not that I opposed the Arab Spring in Egypt (regime policies were slowly but steadily facilitating the type of Islamist sentiment that it feared*), but the best possible outcome for Egypt is for some type of power-sharing between a weakened Brotherhood and the secular factions, and the mass protests which led to the military coup and nullification of the Brotherhood-designed constitution indicate that this may now be possible.

Or, it could simply empower the Wahabbis and further radicalize hard-core Brotherhood supporters, or the military could overplay their hand, or.....I'm not even remotely optimistic about Egypt in general.

*In a nutshell, the government strangled all secular opposition, but had to be careful not to be seen as anti-Islamic, leaving Islamism as the most viable form of regime opposition for a population that already had such leanings on account of traditional religious interpretations.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I can't help but feel that this either ends in civil war or a military dictatorship. I'm rather puzzled by all the optimism.... these kinds of situations rarely end well. Morsi was a choad, but I'm not sure if a coup was the best thing to happen to Egypt.

But then, I'm not not an optimistic person, as OKcupid and others inform me.
    I don't think it's a matter of being optimistic in the big picture. It's more that since they are already in such a shit hole, the question is which path would be slightly better. The way things were going with Morsi, I've come to feel like this is a better path.
    Go to sleep, iguana.