User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Snowden be freed?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 80.95%
  • No

8 19.05%
First 4567816 Last

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    He violated national security and broke the law. He violated his confidentiality agreements with the company he worked for. He caused his company to violate their client confidentiality agreement, at of all places, the NSA. He left his hot girlfriend in the lurch. He's not some heroic whistleblower. His actions demonstrate a lack of character and ethics. The dummy deserves everything he is going to get.
    Highlander is right and his defence is Civil Disobedience. In other words he needed to follow his conscience first.

Conscience and Civil Disobedience are recognised as a defence if they are done in good faith. And the good faith is demonstrated by going to the Police, with a lawyer, afer the act of disobedience has been done.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Highlander is right and his defence is Civil Disobedience. In other words he needed to follow his conscience first.

Conscience and Civil Disobedience are recognised as a defence if they are done in good faith. And the good faith is demonstrated by going to the Police, with a lawyer, afer the act of disobedience has been done.
    Except our government tortures whistleblowers. Bradley Manning was held in solitary confinement for 9 months, and that was before any trial.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Except our government tortures whistleblowers. Bradley Manning was held in solitary confinement for 9 months, and that was before any trial.
    Bradley Manning followed his conscience but he did not go the the police with a lawyer after his act of disobedience.

So Bradley did not act in good faith, in fact he was caught like a common criminal.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yeah, sure, let him go.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

The NSA is oversteppings its bounds.

Snowden has committed an act of treason in the eyes of an institution that is abusing its power.

The NSA is never going to let him go. Its like asking the mafia to go easy on one of the guys who wanted out. It just doesn't work like that.

Let him go, yeah, absolutely... good fucking luck snowden.

I also have a feeling he was getting bored with life. I bet his life is pretty interesting right now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, and for instance, Australian Telstra, our largest phone and computer company, has been providing information on its users for years to the USA.

So has Verizon. And Google. And Microsoft. And Facebook.

I'll keep listing cooperative companies if you like me to.

I do think if it was as problematic as you seem to be imagining it is, some of the nerds at Microsoft or Facebook would have gotten the jump on little red riding hood.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I also have a feeling he was getting bored with life. I bet his life is pretty interesting right now.
    I'm not sure I agree with the rest of your post but THIS OH THIS.

I wonder what it's like to hide out in the Russian transit zone. Probably pretty cushy for Snowden, given how affluent Moscow is now and his own personal bank account.

He's in for a nasty surprise when/if his money runs out though.

I still suspect him of a disorder like narcissism. He left behind his pole dancer gf (even though he made 200,000 a year...why didn't she quit her job? did he get his jollies off of the status of having a stripper gf? would he not support her, or at least let her get a job that wasn't in sex work where she potentially made less income? did he buy her?) ...seriously I wonder about an upper-middle class man who allows his gf to work as a stripper. It's only excusable in a committed relationship when it's you know like fiscally necessary. Otherwise it starts to look like pimping.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If he is committing an act of civil disobedience in good conscience he should take his punishment like every other great (or unknown) actor of civil disobedience.

That is, if it was actually in service of others.

And I don't believe it was.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, Marm, this is a surprise, but it seems like you don't know what you're talking about. Good for you on liking your country, though.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Bradley Manning followed his conscience but he did not go the the police with a lawyer after his act of disobedience.

So Bradley did not act in good faith, in fact he was caught like a common criminal.
    He was pulled over because he had black skin and arrested for possession of pot? I don't think so. You're trying too hard to demean what Manning and Snowden have done. The federal government is your deity. We get it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."