User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Snowden be freed?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 80.95%
  • No

8 19.05%
First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The public cannot know whether they like what is going on unless they are aware of it. That is a significant part of the point. Accountability to the voters requires transparency. Moreover, the authorities have proved themselves more than capable of stirring up other issues as a distraction, when people start to show too much interest in the man behind the curtain. The checks and balances that should curtail abuses of power are inadequate when those in power can manipulate the public by controlling information.
    I wish the solution was as simple as voting in new representatives. That would be so nice, but it never is. There are too many people and corporations with a vested financial interest in the status quo.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    By the way, the criminals are data mining us as we speak, pulling information from a lot of different places. I can say with a level of certainty that there are quite a number of active members on this forum that are part of botnet. Worry about that.
    I wonder who is part of the botnet, would be interesting.

I found this new bill being developed a few days ago.

Slight Summary.

Link to part of the bill

Anyhow this is slightly promising. It isn't as corrupt as the house bill that passed nor does it feel so forced like the previous Senate bill.

It is more to my liking, informing the public, and teaching the public some standards. I think some standards for "critical" infrastructure should be mandatory, however.

I just hope it doesn't go into the way of CISPA again (more than likely, it will since it is developing and Mike Rogers is also part of the Energy and Commerce Committee) as it was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I just don't live in fear of terrorism. You're more likely to be struck by lightning than killed in a terrorist attack. Yet here we are spending tens of billions of dollars on programs like these and we're not even sure they work. I don't believe terrorism is something we have to stop no matter the cost, but that's how it is treated.
    That is really the key question in this discussion: Are you afraid enough of the unknown enemy to condone the spying on yourself and the rest of the world or are you not (except for Marm, who is more concerned with the purity of Mr. Snowden's motives)? Since the answer to this question is also based much more on individual philosophy and subconscious attitudes than on any fact, it is likely to remain unchanged by the discussion. It is very much an ideological disagreement we are seeing here.

Personally, I prefer the occasional terrorist attack to constant surveillance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You're more likely to be struck by lightning than killed in a terrorist attack.
    Lightning is not trying to kill us, but terrorists are.

And we know how many will be killed by lightning, but terrorism increases with the success of the terrorists.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Nah I am usually on Europe's side so none of this applies.

Please try again.
    Well I don't know what that means.

Would you like a Kitkat?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That is really the key question in this discussion: Are you afraid enough of the unknown enemy to condone the spying on yourself and the rest of the world or are you not (except for Marm, who is more concerned with the purity of Mr. Snowden's motives)? Since the answer to this question is also based much more on individual philosophy and subconscious attitudes than on any fact, it is likely to remain unchanged by the discussion. It is very much an ideological disagreement we are seeing here.

Even with constant surveillance the government can't stop all terrorist attacks. The Boston Bombers still pulled off their scheme despite this program. The only way to eliminate all terrorism is if we are all imprisoned.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Any information in that regard you could share with us?
    On being part of a botnet, it's just a numbers game. Here is some high level info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Lightning is not trying to kill us, but terrorists are.

And we know how many will be killed by lightning, but terrorism increases with the success of the terrorists.
    Except terrorism is an idea, lightning is not.

Anybody can be labeled a terrorist with the wrong frame of mind. Lightning, however, can be easily defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

I was hoping we would of learned by now that we can't win against an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Except terrorism is an idea, lightning is not.

Anybody can be labeled a terrorist with the wrong frame of mind. Lightning, however, can be easily defined.
    Terrorism is not so much an idea, as an attack on civilians, for an ideological purpose.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Terrorism is not so much an idea, as an attack on civilians, for an ideological purpose.
    But terrorism doesnt need to necessarily be ideological, unless you consider using fear an ideology.

Capone and co. were using terror as part of their rackets long before politicos adapted or adopted it.