User Tag List

12 Last

Epiphany

Default Overpopulation, Unemployment and Nightlife

As someone who works a third shift job during the week, it is difficult to change my sleeping pattern on the weekend. I usually wake up in the middle of the afternoon and go to sleep around sunrise. It is incredibly frustrating that the only businesses or entertainment venues which are open late at night tend to be bars and clubs that usually close at 3 am. Sometimes, I would like to go read a book at a coffee shop, go shopping or workout at 5 am when I'm wide awake, but I can't because everything is closed. Nearly one third of the day is shut down completely. With the concern of overpopulation and unemployment, I think companies should extend their hours of operation to accommodate those who aren't awake during the daytime. It would be nice to have more than two choices of restaurants in the early morning which only serve breakfast food. Perhaps, it's not to the point where it would be profitable for most companies to stay open at all hours of the day, but I see it as a reasonable solution to the inevitable problem of overpopulation. If more jobs were available at night, it would minimize traffic during the day and offer employment to those who are struggling to find any significant income, instead of having all of these people competing for the same jobs during an 8 hr time span. I wonder if this is already being implemented in countries that have been dealing with overpopulation for years. I haven't done any research on the subject.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Things being open late at night sounds great to me and it would probably help unemployment. We don't have a big overpopulation problem in my area, so I don't have an opinion on that. My husband works from 6PM to 6AM or 4PM to 6AM, but he only works four days a week and we're middle-aged home bodies so we work around it pretty easily.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Things being open late at night sounds great to me and it would probably help unemployment. We don't have a big overpopulation problem in my area, so I don't have an opinion on that. My husband works from 6PM to 6AM or 4PM to 6AM, but he only works four days a week and we're middle-aged home bodies so we work around it pretty easily.
    It sounds great to me too. I'd love to be able to go bowling or do other leisurely activities without having to disrupt my sleep schedule. Also, it would be nice to run errands, take care of car repairs, go to the bank, etc... whenever it's convenient for me. That's the biggest drawback to working 3rd shift. Nothing is open when I'm awake.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

I totally second this idea.

I get off work around eleven at night, then stay up for hours and hours afterward. I don't have to, I guess, but my brain just doesn't really shut off until I'm physically exhausted. Having said that, it would be so convenient to have the city stay awake at every hour of the day; there are plenty of people who could use those services, and just as many who need the paychecks.

A friend of mine recently brought this up, too. I think her schedule has adjusted to "normal" hours somewhat, but she's got a year-old daughter who still goes through periods of keeping her awake until the small hours of the morning. She said it'd be wonderful to just run errands at night and take her daughter with her.

Maybe our social framework will evolve to that level soon. It'd just make a lot of sense. Like the concept of the weekend - most of us still have a weekend, but for how many people is that the standard Saturday/Sunday weekend? My days off are usually Tuesday/Wednesday (and subject to change), and I think a lot of my friends' schedules have shifted similarly. It seems like more people have graveyard shifts, too.

As demand for 24-hour facilities increases, well...hopefully, it'll happen. Because it'd make a lot of lives easier and would probably give the economic situation a major kick in the pants, too.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm nocturnal; I second this idea wholeheartedly.

Lot of states, the only 24 hour place you'll find is a super-walmart.. where all the meth-heads hang out at 3am.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'd be happy with a laundrymat that doesn't require last wash by 6:00 pm.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

I can see and welcome the night becoming a second day, at least in bigger cities.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    I totally second this idea.

I get off work around eleven at night, then stay up for hours and hours afterward. I don't have to, I guess, but my brain just doesn't really shut off until I'm physically exhausted. Having said that, it would be so convenient to have the city stay awake at every hour of the day; there are plenty of people who could use those services, and just as many who need the paychecks.

A friend of mine recently brought this up, too. I think her schedule has adjusted to "normal" hours somewhat, but she's got a year-old daughter who still goes through periods of keeping her awake until the small hours of the morning. She said it'd be wonderful to just run errands at night and take her daughter with her.

Maybe our social framework will evolve to that level soon. It'd just make a lot of sense. Like the concept of the weekend - most of us still have a weekend, but for how many people is that the standard Saturday/Sunday weekend? My days off are usually Tuesday/Wednesday (and subject to change), and I think a lot of my friends' schedules have shifted similarly. It seems like more people have graveyard shifts, too.

As demand for 24-hour facilities increases, well...hopefully, it'll happen. Because it'd make a lot of lives easier and would probably give the economic situation a major kick in the pants, too.
    Yes, if corporations and offices extended their hours to 2nd/3rd shifts, theoretically, it would increase productivity of their businesses and create a demand for more customer-service jobs to accommodate them late at night and early in the morning, thus boosting the economy, imo. I'm no economist though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm nocturnal; I second this idea wholeheartedly.

Lot of states, the only 24 hour place you'll find is a super-walmart.. where all the meth-heads hang out at 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I'd be happy with a laundrymat that doesn't require last wash by 6:00 pm.
    No kidding! Why would anybody want to do laundry after 6 pm? I mean, there can't possibly be a demand for that.

Edit: /sarcasm...if it wasn't obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I can see and welcome the night becoming a second day, at least in bigger cities.
    Indeed, I think it would prove beneficial especially in larger cities. It would probably only work on a large-scale though if many companies extended their hours to attract more people.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would be in favor of what the OP suggested. Actually implementing it though in the real world might be difficult. For most people their body rhythms are like the sun. Peak energy during sunlight hours and tiredness during dark. I think I read somewhere that some of this is actually biological. Of course culture too has an influence on this. If you are living alone, it's easier to adjust to a graveyard shift schedule. If you have family it's more difficult. For kids, the school hours are typically around 8am-3pm. If you're a parent working the graveyard shift, you'll probably want to sleep just when you're kids are all full of energy or want help with their homework.

I would like to see some more options for places and services and that are open at the middle of the night but you can't realistically expect as many places to be open at 3 a.m. as at 3 p.m. without completing changing the structure of society.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    No kidding! Why would anybody want to do laundry after 6 pm? I mean, there can't possibly be a demand for that.

Edit: /sarcasm...if it wasn't obvious.
    Seemed obvious to me....did someone question it? (or)
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right