User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ahhhh. Okay. Yeah, if you lose that stuff here you can visit a JP (Justice of the Peace) with someone else and sign a statutory declaration saying you are who you are. It's a bit of a mess around, but easy enough to do.

I totally got fined for not voting once. I felt like a rebel. It was a state election though and i no longer lived there, so i sent the form back saying i was at my new address when the election was on, saving me the hardship of paying the massive $25 fine.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

It seems like forcing people to vote would encourage the apathetic to just pick random representatives. Are there any issues with that?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

not really, no. It's very party oriented here, and because voting is a requirement, we generally pay attention to who we're voting for.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    not really, no. It's very party oriented here, and because voting is a requirement, we generally pay attention to who we're voting for.
    I'm guessing you're talking about Australia, right? That's the only country I know of where people are legally required to vote...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Apparently. cafe gave the example of a friend, a divorcée who has four kids, who can't go get ID because she lost her birth certificate, Social Security card and all her other ID and the burden of caring for four kids is too much for her to take a couple hours out of a day to get it all straightened out.

I can only imagine the lulz that would ensue if 'murricans were not only required to present ID at polling stations, but were (like Australians) REQUIRED TO VOTE.
    I'm all for Americans being required to vote.

But for my friend, it would be at least a half hour drive each way to her doctor plus waiting time to obtain a letter to take to the social security office. The wait there is generally at least a half hour.

Then an up to one week to receive her social security card in the mail.

A visit to the health department (maybe with her mother) and $10 to obtain a copy of her birth certificate (half hour to hour wait when I've been there).

A visit to the county clerk's office to obtain a copy of her divorce decree at an unknown price an wait. It may have to come through the mail.

Then she will need two computer generated pieces of mail at her new place where she does not pay the utilities or have a phone bill. The social security card will work for one as long as she leaves the card in the letter instead of punching it out and putting it in her wallet.

Then she must go to the corner of the city limits and hope she has all the right documentation and wait in line (the wait varies a lot). If they are happy with her documents, her ID will come in the mail within two weeks.

And yes, she either has to obtain child care for four kids between the ages of four and eight or take them with her and she also has to hope her van will make all the trips (it's not in great repair) and put gas in it for the trips.

I don't think it's that complicated in other countries, but that's just an impression. I'm curious to know if my impression is correct.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ Busses exist for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    But for my friend, it would be...
    You also said your friend had trouble depositing cheques because of a lack of ID. So, not only would a lack of ID make it more difficult for her to vote, it already makes it more difficult for her to subsist on what little money she gets.

Maybe telling her to get some ID, despite the inconvenience, instead of living in poverty for the rest of her life would be the 'friendly' thing to do.

It sounds to me that each of the steps in the process to get all of her ID back might take two hours out of a day, days which would have to be spread out because of waiting for these things to be processed and things to be mailed to her. For something as important as this it's probably worth finding someone to take care of her kids for a couple hours a day for a few days.

EDIT: I'm re-reading my own post and despite really trying to not sound like a big, insensitive prick about this I probably do. Maybe it's because my parents were always, ALWAYS delinquent in keeping their ID and other such things (e.g. vehicle registration) updated despite having faaaaaaaar and away enough time to deal with it. I'm the sort who gets a notice that my driver's licence is about to expire and deals with it right away instead of letting it lapse. I'm the sort who pays his bills as soon as invoices are received. I grew up around people who made excuse after excuse to not deal with these relatively simple, straightforward things so now it has become a peeve.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    ^ Busses exist for a reason.
    Do you really think there is a bus that will take her a half hour to the next town?

And that she has ten dollars for each of those trips that are in town?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Do you really think there is a bus that will take her a half hour to the next town?

And that she has ten dollars for each of those trips that are in town?
    $2 on the sunshine bus in Jax will get you to St. Augustine.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    $2 on the sunshine bus in Jax will get you to St. Augustine.
    That's not how things work in more rural portions of the midwest. At least, it certainly does not work that way here.
    ~ John Rogers