User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Grow up we have no incentive to care.
    Of course you don't, since most of the people kept from voting by ID requirements would vote against your agenda. This is the real motivation behind the ID requirements. Fraud is just a red herring.

EDIT - the main bullet point being, I have no incentive to come up with your sides policy platform on this. And I mostly don't care.
    And progressives have no incentive to implement voter ID laws, and don't care about the negligible amount of fraud that might be occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I mean, in the absence of ID, what do you do to cheat? Go to multiple polling stations and vote in each one? (Don't you need a registration card?) If it's that easy(?) it seems like catching fraud would be difficult.

But aside from that, if the numbers are right (and the Brennan Report does seem a bit...thin, 970 some people? though I'm no statistician), doesn't seem like there is really much benefit to requiring the ID, now, at least. Doesn't discount the possibility that fraud will become more widespread in the future in the absence of ID.

I still like the mobile DMV idea. I think they actually have them some places. Sure, gas ain't cheap, but costs a lot less than building a new DMV office in the boonies that doesn't get a lot of traffic anyway.
    It's not just gas money, it's elderly and handicapped who would need to get a ride from someone, etc. As for fraud, this is much more likely to occur in absentee ballots since these can be mailed in, and thus no ID is presented. Most states have become much more lenient about voting absentee, to make it easier on the homebound or even those who have trouble getting out of work, and more and more voters are availing themselves of this method.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Society

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What are the benefits to liberals vs conservatives here? How is it about "sides" in this context?
    from what i gather, apparently for some reason american minority members are less likely to have a state ID, and since most minority members vote democrat, requiring a state IDs for voting decreases voter turnout for the democratic party, increasing the percentage for the republican party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    from what i gather, apparently for some reason american minority members are less likely to have a state ID, and since most minority members vote democrat, requiring a state IDs for voting decreases voter turnout for the democratic party, increasing the percentage for the republican party.
    That's it? Dumb. But makes sense.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    That's it? Dumb. But makes sense.
    i don't know, maybe the democrats should try to get voter email requirements, since republicans seem so fucking rare on the internet that it feels like i'm never getting the full side of any american story (even rarer than libertarians.. how the fuck did that happen?).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Of course you don't, since most of the people kept from voting by ID requirements would vote against your agenda. This is the real motivation behind the ID requirements. Fraud is just a red herring.
    If that's the real agenda, it doesn't seem to have that effect in practice (probably because having a year's time to arrange matters so that one can get a free ID doesn't constitute an unreasonable burden, and as for the greater difficulty for people in rural areas, it should be noted that such places tend to vote Republican).....and yet I still support it.

I also have no objections to making non-military* absentee ballots include, say, a printout of one's ID.

*Its conceivable that someone in a warzone doesn't have access to a printer.

MBTI
    INTP

Except that it apparently doesn't.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What was the most recent major problem created by voter fraud in the USA?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What was the most recent major problem created by voter fraud in the USA?
    Lack of confidence in our elections. The partisan shitfit that occurred in it's wake. With voter ID we can stop wasting time on these issues, and have greater confidence in our electoral process.

Society

Lack of confidence in our elections. The partisan shitfit that occurred in it's wake. With voter ID we can stop wasting time on these issues, and have greater confidence in our electoral process.
    i dunno, with the ability to win with a smaller percentage of the public vote as long as the voters are from the right states, taking care of voter fraud is like fixing a forest fire by requiring people to spit towards it...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

i dunno, with the ability to win with a smaller percentage of the public vote as long as the voters are from the right states, taking care of voter fraud is like fixing a forest fire by requiring people to spit towards it...
    Your gonna have to clarify that. I'm not picking up what you're laying down.