First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If you don't mid me asking, why is your friend a single mother with four kids?
    Is an explanation for one's family status going to be the next thing people have to come up with before they are allowed to vote?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm pretty sure she would mind.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm pretty sure she would mind.
    Yep. It's not like it's an isolated thing. 35% of all the kids in this country live in single parent families and most of those families, especially those headed by women, are low-income.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If we really want more Americans to vote, we should:
    Apply to become a Federated State of Oz.

Then you would have compulsory voting, and you would know what the people want.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Probably because their dad didn't bother to stick around. Years ago, George W. Bush made some comment about families where the father was abusive or just walked out. He essentially blamed the women for making poor choices in men. Perhaps you share his philosophy. Indeed, good men can be hard to find.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Cor -- None of what you said is an awful idea.

But I wonder how many of those things exist in Australia, where it is mandatory. If all of them do, then I say I don't understand why Americans aren't required to vote in the first place.

She sounds like a fucking whiner.

As do you.
    Can we keep it professional already, btw? We're talking about voting. Attacking random ladies you know nothing about doesn't really sell your case any.. nor does it contribute to the conversation. In fact, it just makes it sound like you're trying to push her out of the conversation because she's inconvenient to the particular aspects you want to discuss. If you're looking for people to agree with you, post on a conservative Facebook page. Don't attack people personally. Even if they put in personal experience and information--it is not welcoming you to insult it. It is a basis for the reasoning behind their stance.

I made 7 grand last year.

Fucking bring it.

First year in a new career that's 100% commission.
    I don't know if you noticed, but you're also single, and have a supportive family. You really cannot compare what you make with those two very important factors to someone who's making 12-15k a year who's solely responsible for rent, another life form, AND the rest of the bills and emergencies for both themselves and those other life forms.

I only make a fraction more than you do, and the only things saving my ass:
    - My supportive family
    - The fact I am single
    - I am healthy. If I were as sick as my sister, I would not be able to handle the amount of work I do.
    - The fact I was pushed hard into understanding how to budget money as a kid, and raised to constantly look for ways to make the things I need happen without falling into debt and despair.

Not everyone is in my situation. Not everyone would be able to handle my situation either. Just like not everyone is in your position--and I am almost sure there are people who would feel blessed to be in your shoes.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Probably because their dad didn't bother to stick around. Years ago, George W. Bush made some comment about families where the father was abusive or just walked out. He essentially blamed the women for making poor choices in men. Perhaps you share his philosophy. Indeed, good men can be hard to find.
    Do you know, or are you assuming that's what happened?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Do you know, or are you assuming that's what happened?
    Did you not read the part where I said he beat the shit out of her?
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Cor -- None of what you said is an awful idea.

But I wonder how many of those things exist in Australia, where it is mandatory. If all of them do, then I say I don't understand why Americans aren't required to vote in the first place.

Can we keep it professional already, btw? We're talking about voting. Attacking random ladies you know nothing about doesn't really sell your case any.. nor does it contribute to the conversation. In fact, it just makes it sound like you're trying to push her out of the conversation because she's inconvenient to the particular aspects you want to discuss. If you're looking for people to agree with you, post on a conservative Facebook page. Don't attack people personally. Even if they put in personal experience and information--it is not welcoming you to insult it. It is a basis for the reasoning behind their stance.

I don't know if you noticed, but you're also single, and have a supportive family. You really cannot compare what you make with those two very important factors to someone who's making 12-15k a year who's solely responsible for rent, another life form, AND the rest of the bills and emergencies for both themselves and those other life forms.

I only make a fraction more than you do, and the only things saving my ass:
    - My supportive family
    - The fact I am single
    - I am healthy. If I were as sick as my sister, I would not be able to handle the amount of work I do.
    - The fact I was pushed hard into understanding how to budget money as a kid, and raised to constantly look for ways to make the things I need happen without falling into debt and despair.

Not everyone is in my situation. Not everyone would be able to handle my situation either. Just like not everyone is in your position--and I am almost sure there are people who would feel blessed to be in your shoes.
    Point being this isn't a "who has it worst" pissing contest.

Life is hard, and its unreasonable to expect the taxes of others to pay for everything. You could come up with with hardships until the cows come home, but that's all many of them are, hardships.

Not insurmountable obstacles that the state should obligated to use other people's money to surmount for you. There are some things its reasonable to expect assistance with.

It is not reasonable to expect tax payers to cover everything.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Did you not read the part where I said he beat the shit out of her?
    Not until just now.

Should the state and the tax paying populace be on the hook for every single fiscal externality of her life choices?

Maybe she shouldn't have had 4 kids.

He shouldn't have been a piece of shit, but could she not see the writing on the wall before she starting having kids?