User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's not how things work in more rural portions of the midwest. At least, it certainly does not work that way here.
    Well shit then she should just figure it out. Sometimes you have to do things for yourself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You also said your friend had trouble depositing cheques because of a lack of ID. So, not only would a lack of ID make it more difficult for her to vote, it already makes it more difficult for her to subsist on what little money she gets.

Maybe telling her to get some ID, despite the inconvenience, instead of living in poverty for the rest of her life would be the 'friendly' thing to do.

It sounds to me that each of the steps in the process to get all of her ID back might take two hours out of a day, days which would have to be spread out because of waiting for these things to be processed and things to be mailed to her. For something as important as this it's probably worth finding someone to take care of her kids for a couple hours a day for a few days.
    Cashing checks. She doesn't have a bank account so not only does she need ID she will have to pay someplace to cash them for her.

As far as the job thing goes, like I said, she had one, but they fired her when she got sick. I was in the place buying kerosene and heard them talking about firing her for missing work, even though she had a doctor's note.

Childcare for four kids would be at least two hundred dollars a week. She'd be lucky to make $240/week working.

I do not know why she hasn't done the necessary hoop jumping. Maybe she's overwhelmed or there are factors I don't know about. But, yeah, I think it would be worth doing. However, having to do all of that for a basic right is a burden that I do not believe a citizen should have to shoulder. To require all that while pretending we believe in equal rights is pretty hypocritical, IMO.

Is it this difficult in other countries? If not, why is it so difficult here?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Well shit then she should just figure it out. Sometimes you have to do things for yourself.
    Yeah, but funny a educated guy like you can't offer any viable solutions, but a poor, uneducated single mom is just supposed to figure it out.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah, but funny a educated guy like you can't offer any viable solutions, but a poor, uneducated single mom is just supposed to figure it out.
    She sounds like a fucking whiner.

As do you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If we really want everyone to have an ID, we should:

• Have the issuing offices keep evening and weekend hours
    • Ensure the offices are on public transit routes
    • Streamline and standardize the documentation needed across state and county lines
    • Have a mobile ID-card van visit senior centers, libraries, schools, and poor neighborhoods where transport might be an issue
    • Reduce fees for supporting documents like birth certificates and marriage/divorce decrees
    • Help people accomplish more of this online, including at local libraries

If we really want more Americans to vote, we should:

• Move election day to a weekend
    • Increase rather than decrease the number of polling places, including early voting locations
    • Expand voting by mail
    • Introduce online voting, and of course
    • Make voting mandatory
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

She sounds like a fucking whiner.
    Oh, I would love to see you get through a week in her life, even without the osteoarthritis.
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Oh, I would love to see you get through a week in her life, even without the osteoarthritis.
    I made 7 grand last year.

Fucking bring it.

First year in a new career that's 100% commission.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What no witty response to that one?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What no witty response to that one?
    Sorry. Had to step away for a few.

You probably made a more than she did and I suspect you don't have four kids to support. You probably also started out with more resources. And you could have sold some blood plasma to round that out a bit, if you didn't already do that.

I have never been in circumstances like she is in and, having been in some similar but not as bad, I am very thankful not to be there now and I hope and pray that God shows me the mercy to never be in them again.

Doing it year after year with no real hope that things will get much better is grinding. It destroys your body and it effects your mind. I wouldn't even wish it on folks like you for more than a month at the most.

But for the grace of God, I might not have picked my parents as well as I did and I could be the one living in a tiny, nasty apartment with four kids trying to get by on a few hundred a month. Hell, I would have been in nearly exactly in her situation if at some point my husband had hit the road or beat the shit out of me like hers did.

Edit: Yes, I am, to some degree, a whiner. But I do know what I'm talking about in this particular instance because I know how things actually work for this particular demographic in pretty stark detail. I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, but I've come close. I've lived in an area with crappy public transit. I've had my purse with my ID and social security card stolen. I've lost things in moves. I've been hungry enough to eat candy off the floor at work while I was breastfeeding and pregnant. It's not other people to me. It's people like me. And they are people. They are Americans and they deserve the basic rights of all citizens.
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Sorry. Had to step away for a few.

You probably made a more than she did and I suspect you don't have four kids to support. You probably also started out with more resources. And you could have sold some blood plasma to round that out a bit, if you didn't already do that.

I have never been in circumstances like she is in and, having been in some similar but not as bad, I am very thankful not to be there now and I hope and pray that God shows me the mercy to never be in them again.

Doing it year after year with no real hope that things will get much better is grinding. It destroys your body and it effects your mind. I wouldn't even wish it on folks like you for more than a month at the most.

But for the grace of God, I might not have picked my parents as well as I did and I could be the one living in a tiny, nasty apartment with four kids trying to get by on a few hundred a month. Hell, I would have been in nearly exactly in her situation if at some point my husband had hit the road or beat the shit out of me like hers did.

Edit: Yes, I am, to some degree, a whiner. But I do know what I'm talking about in this particular instance because I know how things actually work for this particular demographic in pretty stark detail. I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, but I've come close. I've lived in an area with crappy public transit. I've had my purse with my ID and social security card stolen. I've lost things in moves. I've been hungry enough to eat candy off the floor at work while I was breastfeeding and pregnant. It's not other people to me. It's people like me. And they are people. They are Americans and they deserve the basic rights of all citizens.
    If you don't mid me asking, why is your friend a single mother with four kids?