User Tag List

123 Last

Default Brutal home invasion attack, and analysis of what to do

I strongly dislike being the one to share anything with footage of this, but the benefits of knowing what to do are worth it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I strongly dislike being the one to share anything with footage of this, but the benefits of knowing what to do are worth it.

If you have time, tell the invader you're armed before brandishing.

Once you pull shoot until they're down (never brandish a weapon you aren't going to use).

Stop shooting once they are down, or when they turn to flee. If you shoot someone in the back you're guilty of murder.

If they are still alive render assistance, call the cops and state that there's been a home invasion and a shooting and hang up.

Take pictures of everything and make sure your computer and phone are password protected (so they have to get a warrant).

You do not want to be holding the gun when the cops get there.

Once the cops arrive state that you were the victim and nothing else.

When you get to the precinct state that your home was invaded, your feared for your life, and that you want to speak with your lawyer before saying anything else.

Good luck after that.

^ Nice, but I think your last point should be:

Never assume that you'll always have access to your weapon when attacked.

Enneagram
    9w8

JAVO,

I think it was great that you shared it. I saw several dem mark windows of opportunity for that lady and I wished that she had known some martial arts, be it Jujitsu or Baguazhang or Tai Chi or Wing Chun...any of it would have given her an upper hand. I appreciate you sharing this. I mean, after all, that's what I'm all about, helping people defend themselves against predators. Thanks.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

violaine

Thank you, JAVO. Just sickening. Apparently she didn't scream or fight back because she knew her daughter would scream if she did and she also had another baby upstairs. :-(. I hope justice is swift.

Enneagram
    9w8

I just want to add that this is an incident when it would have been good had she been a warrior in a garden and not a gardener in a war. And, you're right. There's never a surety that there will be a firearm nearby, but your hands, feet and mind are always with you.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    JAVO,

I think it was great that you shared it. I saw several dem mark windows of opportunity for that lady and I wished that she had known some martial arts, be it Jujitsu or Baguazhang or Tai Chi or Wing Chun...any of it would have given her an upper hand. I appreciate you sharing this. I mean, after all, that's what I'm all about, helping people defend themselves against predators. Thanks.
    Great point that are other effective self-defense approaches too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I just want to add that this is an incident when it would have been good had she been a warrior in a garden and not a gardener in a war.
    Definitely!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

She did the right thing by keeping quiet and not fighting back. She knew what was at stake.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    ^ Nice, but I think your last point should be:

Never assume that you'll always have access to your weapon when attacked.
    That's why for anyone interested in the subject, I would recommend martial arts, and bladed weapons training in addition to pistol, shotgun, and rifle training.

Think about it like a knife, being good with your hands or with blades, sharpens part of the blade, being good with pistols sharpens part of it. You get the idea, you want the whole blade sharpened.

The best tool is to know your gut feelings (spidey sense) and trust the hairs on the back of your neck so you can evade rather than engage. Although that only applies if I'm outside of my home.

If you forcibly enter my dwelling with ill intent, you either get down or lay down. Which is your choice.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm going to be honest with you, as someone who is very comfortable with physical conflict. Most people are far more interested in the feeling of security rather than practical security. That's why self-defense classes get clients despite the fact that if it were that easy to way to beat a larger opponent strictly by technique we wouldn't have such specific weight classes in wrestling tournaments. The fact is, these classes are a waste of time. To become proficient enough to instill a level of ability where it becomes applicable in a real fight, you would probably have to become at least a double or triple black belt before you have the ability to apply those skills in an actual, chaotic fight without rules in such a way that it helps you significantly.

At some point, an attacker is going to simply barrel into you and end up on top of you. Unless you move out of the way, you're going to end up with their fists in your face. IME, either you have the instinct to move in a fight or you don't... only extreme amounts of training would change that.

The mistake this woman made was to leave her door unlocked. If she lives in a bad neighborhood, she should get a home security system. The audible alarm and inevitable threat of police would probably deter the attacker.