User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Important fact: the door was locked, and the attacker kicked it in:
    From: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...212855501.html
    Millburn Police in Essex County said the woman and her daughter were watching cartoons on the couch, a baby boy asleep upstairs, when the suspect kicked in the dead-bolted door.
    How to reinforce doors:
    http://www.familyhandyman.com/home-s...ments/view-all

Also, installing a second deadbolt to use when you're home makes the door more secure.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

This thread makes me want to go live in one of our sheds and rig up extravagant traps, each one more convoluted than the last.

Rube Goldberg would be proud.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Thanks for posting the video. Disgusting footage, really awesome to see self defense gyms taking real life situations and applying them to their techniques.

Self defense is one of those things where even if you stopped and quit or forgot most of it--just remembering one thing might be better off overall. I tell everyone I know when the subject comes up to bother at least trying to learn something.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Obviously that only applies if they are threatening your home and its not a car jacking etc.
    I hear the best defense against carjacking is a manual transmission.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    XXFP

I have extremely minimal experience, that said I don't remain all that convinced that advanced martial art/combat sport training really will give that much of an advantage in a violent physical confrontation where there are no rules and you're not going to feel guilty if you accidently hurt them too bad*.

Basic technique will help a lot, the rest? It depends what we're talking about.

I'm neither a criminal nor a martial artist.

*PS unless you're a sociopath in real life even if they're a criminal you'll probably kinda feel bad anyway. But that won't be a primary concern while they're trying to kill you.

Not that I can't be convinced, it's just I've yet to be convinced.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Guy with apparently no training (other than watching UFC lol) stops carjacking using BJJ move. The guillotine used in UFC comes from the strong BJJ influence in UFC/MMA.

Also:

A female US Navy sailor used a triangle choke from BJJ to submit a bus driver with a knife attempting to rape her.

Triangle choke photo:
    Attachment 9683

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

In college I ended a fight I was in before it began when the guy tried to take me down and I put him in a super deep guillotine.

I had never taken any martial arts at that point, it was just intuitive.

My fraternity brothers then pulled me off the other brother with whom I had had a disagreement.

MBTI
    XXFP

At both of the above examples, that sort of thing seems to support what I'm talking about...

Even with minimal experience, basic knowledge of technique, application = results. Maybe it's just because most people aren't prepared for much defense anyway. Would it have worked against a really well trained opponent (in a real fight, outside the ring)?

I don't doubt the benefits of engaging in martial art for self-control and discipline and possibly clarity of mind. But after a certain point I think martial arts will make you better - at martial arts. I suppose I can't really answer this question, I'd need details from someone who has been in a lot of violent life or death struggles. Before and after they learned BJJ/whatever.

I suppose the closest I could get would be a police officer who has to subdue resisting suspects a lot. Would advanced training make them better at moving weight around and knocking the other guy down so you put a knee on his face while you cuff him? Or is it just basic skills and regular practice to maintain the basics? From my layman's perspective, I'm sure there are fine details I'm missing, but it doesn't look that complicated. I'm not saying there's no techinique, but how much are we really talking about here? (Compared to say, mat and ring wrestling.) Even then what cops are doing is not quite the same as say, jamming some guy's skull against brick, because cops also have rules and are focused more on submission/controlling suspect then just hurting him bad enough he stops hurting you.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    At both of the above examples, that sort of thing seems to support what I'm talking about...

Even with minimal experience, basic knowledge of technique, application = results. Maybe it's just because most people aren't prepared for much defense anyway. Would it have worked against a really well trained opponent (in a real fight, outside the ring)?

I don't doubt the benefits of engaging in martial art for self-control and discipline and possibly clarity of mind. But after a certain point I think martial arts will make you better - at martial arts. I suppose I can't really answer this question, I'd need details from someone who has been in a lot of violent life or death struggles. Before and after they learned BJJ/whatever.

I suppose the closest I could get would be a police officer who has to subdue resisting suspects a lot. Would advanced training make them better at moving weight around and knocking the other guy down so you put a knee on his face while you cuff him? Or is it just basic skills and regular practice to maintain the basics? From my layman's perspective, I'm sure there are fine details I'm missing, but it doesn't look that complicated. I'm not saying there's no techinique, but how much are we really talking about here? (Compared to say, mat and ring wrestling.) Even then what cops are doing is not quite the same as say, jamming some guy's skull against brick, because cops also have rules and are focused more on submission/controlling suspect then just hurting him bad enough he stops hurting you.
    I would think the most effective skill to learn and put to use would be grappling. People always grab onto one another, especially if they don't know how to strike properly. It takes less skill to grapple than just about anything else, and we all grappled with friends as kids.

Most people can't strike for shit, and grappling is less forbidding to those without extensive training, its also less likely to incur injury (legal liability) on the other guy. This is more for general life fight experience, not physically defending oneself from a criminal during a life and death struggle.

But most guys will get into a fight sometime in their lives, whereas a violent burglary is less likely.

I've only (outside of sparring) struck someone else with intent once. And it was my shorter stouter good buddy whose built like a brick shit house who can take it. He also pushed me over the edge. (we had a falling out over it, but got over that and are now friends again)