User Tag List

12 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Goodbye Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act

States no longer have to labor under the yoke of statistics 40 years out of date in crafting their voting laws.

Bully for us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...-race/2116491/

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Bump bump bump

MBTI
    INTP

About goddamn time.....at this point, the only rationale for the old criteria was anti-Southern prejudice and partisan opportunism.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    About goddamn time.....at this point, the only rationale for the old criteria was anti-Southern prejudice and partisan opportunism.
    I find it curious how relatively quiet this thread has been while the defeat of DOMA thread has exploded.

Either way this is a win for fairness.

If they want to create nationwide standards for voting so be it, but this pick and choose based on 40 year old statistics garbage was rightly thrown out.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Technically, it should be goodbye section 4 of the voting rights act and consequently the enforceability of section 5.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I find it curious how relatively quiet this thread has been while the defeat of DOMA thread has exploded.
    DOMA has more of a direct impact on the lives of several members of this forum (or on the lives of people they care about, in the case of the large number of 'allies' here.) It's also a topic that people have more of an 'emotional charge' over. Doesn't strike me as curious at all why it's more active.

Even for those who live in the South, this has relatively little impact on their actual lives or the lives of their friends. You have to tug at those heartstrings to get a ticker tape parade.

If they want to create nationwide standards for voting so be it, but this pick and choose based on 40 year old statistics garbage was rightly thrown out.
    Quite agreed. I'm not opposed to regulating changes to voting like that, but if you're gonna do it... subject everyone to it. The pick-and-choose thing was garbage.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    DOMA has more of a direct impact on the lives of several members of this forum (or on the lives of people they care about, in the case of the large number of 'allies' here.) It's also a topic that people have more of an 'emotional charge' over. Doesn't strike me as curious at all why it's more active.

Even for those who live in the South, this has relatively little impact on their actual lives or the lives of their friends. You have to tug at those heartstrings to get a ticker tape parade.
    Oh I know, I just like to bitch about stuff like this (as I'm sure you well know).

Quite agreed. I'm not opposed to regulating changes to voting like that, but if you're gonna do it... subject everyone to it. The pick-and-choose thing was garbage.
    Thank you, from the stories being run at the Times, CNN and The Atlantic one would think we just reinstituted Jim Crow.

garbage

I thought it was a solid ruling--y'know, shoving out an antiquated law, cherrypicking states, and all that, so on and so forth. That 'twas an artifact of the past, a scaffolding that we no longer need.

But then, I remembered this, from 2012. And then I saw this, from yesterday.

It's way, way too early to tell, but I wonder if some states still need some time with their training wheels and padded helmets before we let them out on the interstate.

(However, it's--ahem--difficult to trust a source that explicitly states that
    Besides Texas, the attorney generals of Alabama, Arizona, South Dakota, and South Carolina argued that the Voting Rights Act was getting in the way of their ability to enact discriminatory laws.
    and so I'd love more stats and information about this whole situation.)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    That is one possible outcome from this, only it will be hidden and subtle when it happens.
    That's rich.

Did they think that racism has been obviated from the human condition, or that it won't reemerge in the future?
    No they don't. In fact they even mention that in their opinion. They do think it is unconstitutional to selectively hold areas to a higher standard regardless of whether those localities have had any voting issues in the recent past.

Do they not realize that the VRA was integral to the progress that has been here?
    They do realize which you would know if you read the decision.

Should we repeal the 15th amendment too? If we follow the SCOTUS half-logic, then we should since slavery no longer exists in America.
    This is so ridiculous as to not warrant a response

They could have used this as a Lincoln moment, one that solidifies the historical American ideal of equality and extends it into the future, but instead, they chose to erode it, knowing that it is unlike to recur without major social upheaval. It seems very short-sighted and lacking in the gravitas one normally attributes to judgments by the Supreme Court.
    It's not the courts job to create laws, just to judge their constitutionality. It's congress' job to come up with a national standard that protects every ones right to vote.

The court almost always has narrowly focused opinions. They are loath to make sweeping pronouncements that would be better left to the legislative branch to hash out.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    (However, it's--ahem--difficult to trust a source that explicitly states that

and so I'd love more stats and information about this whole situation.)
    Panic now while there's still time!
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz