First 234

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Paper tigers...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Put on your party hat, Lark. A new dawn is upon us.

"The government should not be in the marriage business, period," Beck said on his syndicated radio show. "I do not get my value on marriage from the state—I get my value on marriage from God. ... You are about to lose your right to have your church say, 'I'm not going to marry homosexual couples.' Now, excuse me, but I have a right to practice my religion the way I see fit. What they're going to ask you to do is deny the bible."

UGH. Anyone who parrots this utter nonsense is quite simply a liar who doesn't agree with the decision and doesn't much care how they convince other people to disagree with it as well. It's so disingenuous to suggest that churches will ever HAVE to marry anyone they don't want to. No one will ever need a religious marriage in order to be recognized by the law as a married couple. Not only is there is a clear separation between civil marriage and religious marriage, but the only people who want to muddle that separation are the Bible thumpers like Beck himself who think all marriage comes from God and want civil marriage subject to the rules of religious marriage. It's like he's never heard of a heterosexual couple getting married by a judge. I hate assholes who will lie about what a law means to scare people into an opinion. It is one of the few things that make me feel violent.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    "The government should not be in the marriage business, period," Beck said on his syndicated radio show. "I do not get my value on marriage from the state—I get my value on marriage from God. ... You are about to lose your right to have your church say, 'I'm not going to marry homosexual couples.' Now, excuse me, but I have a right to practice my religion the way I see fit. What they're going to ask you to do is deny the bible."

UGH. Anyone who parrots this utter nonsense is quite simply a liar who doesn't agree with the decision and doesn't much care how they convince other people to disagree with it as well. It's so disingenuous to suggest that churches will ever HAVE to marry anyone they don't want to. No one will ever need a religious marriage in order to be recognized by the law as a married couple. Not only is there is a clear separation between civil marriage and religious marriage, but the only people who want to muddle that separation are the Bible thumpers like Beck himself who think all marriage comes from God and want civil marriage subject to the rules of religious marriage. It's like he's never heard of a heterosexual couple getting married by a judge. I hate assholes who will lie about what a law means to scare people into an opinion. It is one of the few things that make me feel violent.
    A-fucking-men.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug