MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Congrats, gays!

Better luck next time, racial minorities.
    Yeah, that was kind of a dick move, on the latter.

What were they doing, splitting the outcomes?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Congrats, gays!

lol! This post summed it up quite nicely.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, that was kind of a dick move, on the latter.

What were they doing, splitting the outcomes?
    It was the right outcome in the later case.

Unless you don't think anything has changed since 1965.

MBTI
    INTP

Congrats, gays!

Good news all around, for those opposed to the denial of equal application of federal law.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm expecting a fairly narrow ruling extending all federal benefits given to married couples to same sex couples.

I suspect that that's all the ruling will do.
    Narrow though it may be, I think it sets an important precedent for future state-specific rulings on gay marriage. I think that some judges might look to this ruling as a standard which they can base state laws on. It certainly won't impact those who oppose it on moral/religious grounds... But it might sway some with a more moderate position.

It's a step in the right direction, in any case. These steps are adding up. It's slow progress, but it's progress.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It was the right outcome in the later case.

Unless you don't think anything has changed since 1965.
    I should probably read more about the latter decision before I comment further, to avoid looking like a total ignoramus.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I should probably read more about the latter decision before I comment further, to avoid looking like a total ignoramus.
    With subjects like this (especially controversial issues that one can't expect the major news outlets to cover fairly) it's best to try and get a summary of the majority opinion.

That's a lot to ask of many people though, for whom reading any legal opinion would be a trying exercise.

Basically the court struck down the part of the act that uses 40 year old statistics to determine if voting discrimination is occurring. Under those statistics places were judged by their pasts, and the law took no account of the changes that have occurred over the last 40 years.

Interestingly enough, the state with the highest discrepancy between white and black voter turnout is Massachusetts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

With subjects like this (especially controversial issues that one can't expect the major news outlets to cover fairly) it's best to try and get a summary of the majority opinion.

That's a lot to ask of many people though, for whom reading any legal opinion would be a trying exercise.
    I actually do put in the time if I have it and it's of interest to me; here I was originally just making an off-the-cuff remark based on a faulty Ne vibe from someone else, without thinking further about it, until you challenged it and I was like, "uh.... oops?" I guess the vibe wasn't necessarily accurate, and I need to look more closely to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Sorry.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

When are we gonna stop acta?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And now, to the comments section of the web page about Hollywood's [positive] reaction to the news. Yes, the comments sections of news sites are truly the cesspool of the Internet, lol....

(Last 10 commentsl listed)

Holywood is one of the biggest driving forces in the destruction of morals, modesty, and common sense in the United States. And we're supposed to be excited by what they think about this horrific judgement by the Supreme Court?

It will be on ballot again & we will vote it down again. Why are you so proud. .Hey I don't run around saying "I'm heterosexual" Why don't you keep it to your selfs

I didn't even read the article, I just headed straight for the comments!

I am so gonna fight for the right to marry my dog!, oh yeah, also my cow, chickens, pigs! I love my animals! equal rights!

A sad day indeed.

Their beloved president Bill Clinton was the one that signed DOMA into law. Their other beloved president Obama was for it until just recently.

Sweet, Im that much closer to being able to have a few wives instead of just one!! I feel its unconstitutional for me not to able too!!

What state rights? The citizens of the state decided. Then the court said no.

This day will live in Sodomy!

be happy all of you until Gods judgement hits.
    http://omg.yahoo.com/news/hollywood-...162813470.html