User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Do you really think America still rules the world?

My Chinese friends would certainly be amazingly delighted to hear that.
    We are the only extant superpower.

We rule it insofar as anyone does.

We have a per capita GDP 7 times that of China, and first among large countries (with a population of 50 million or more).

China poses exactly zero physical military threat to us at the moment (but their cyber attacks and corporate hacking have been a drag on our economy).

We still police the world, and that seems a pretty good proxy for ruling.

In most instances we just have to send one carrier group somewhere to stabilize volatile international situations.

Certainly we aren't as dominant as we once were, but we have no peers in either economics (China's economic troubles with its real estate boom) or militarily.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I honestly don't think we have as much influence in the world now as even the USSR had in the 1960s. It seems the world collects into poles and then dissolves again. We've been in a dissolving trend since the end of the cold war. Gone is bipolarity. Here is a growing number of viable competitors. Even if the USA were the most powerful nation, it would only be a small lead in a busy race. It would hardly qualify as ruling the world.

Also, to make any claim to the effect of "I can ignore my problems because I'm stronger than you" is very foolish.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

America sucks (for the purposes of this exercise) because its government is beholden to corporate interest instead of public interest; most of the other problems flow from this one. And the biggest problem is that lots of people don't see the difference.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

We have a per capita GDP 7 times that of China, and first among large countries (with a population of 50 million or more).
    The current GDP of China has already reached about 60% of the US GDP (it's probably a lot more, because the Renminbi (Chinese currency) is purposefully underevaluated for commercial reasons).

The difference being that while US economic growth barely manages to reach +2% (during good years), during the same time Chinese economic growth is +8%. And it's a bad year for them, usually it's +10-12% on average.

It means that within the end of the decade, China will be the richest country on earth, and that by 2025, its GDP will represent twice the American one.

China poses exactly zero physical military threat to us at the moment (but their cyber attacks and corporate hacking have been a drag on our economy).
    Indeed, they're more clever and they focus mainly on what really matters: the economy.

We still police the world, and that seems a pretty good proxy for ruling.
    You police the world by invading innocent countries like Iraq?

Certainly we aren't as dominant as we once were, but we have no peers in either economics (China's economic troubles with its real estate boom) or militarily.
    The US state is broke, and Americans have the largest debt in the known world. Their economic supremacy rests on a bubble of air, and your situation is in fact incredibly fragile, since the real economy has now fled into Asia.
    Should China ask the US to settle the debt they have contracted in Asia, your nation would instantly go into bankrupcy just like Argentina or Greece.
    And one day, it will happen. Sooner than what you think, unfortunately.

Welcome to the real world, son. It's time to become a responsible adult, a citizen of a responsible nation.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The current GDP of China is about 60% of the GDP of the US (it's probably a lot more, because the Renminbi (Chinese currency) is purposefully underevaluated for commercial reasons).

The difference being that while US economic growth is barely below 2% (during good years), during the same time Chinese economic growth is +8%. And it's a bad year for them, usually it's +10-12% on average.

It means that within the end of the decade, China will be the richest country on earth, and that by 2025, its GDP will represent twice the American one.
    They make $6k per person per year. They just have a couple billion people.

Their growth rates have been artificially fueled mostly. The closer they get to parity with the US the harder it is to grow at such a ridiculous rate.

You really should check out this and the myriad of other articles documenting the slowdown of the Chinese economy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/bu...pagewanted=all

Indeed, they're more clever and they focus mainly on what really matters: the economy.
    Please, they've employed every dirty trick in the book to goose the economy, from corporate espionage, to building entire ghost towns with no residents to inflate the construction sector.

Their growth targets for this year are 7.5% according to Beijing.

The only thing that's allowed China to grow at the rate it has for the last 3 decades is how for behind it was, and how huge their population is.

While that population still aids their growth today, it is rapidly aging and this will only get worse across the 21st century. This article from the National Interest documents this problem well Pitfalls of an aging China.

You police the world by invading innocent countries like Iraq?
    You police the world by keeping the Chinese and Taiwan from open warfare. By keeping Japan and China from roping us into a conflict over the Senkakus.

By countering Russia and Tehran and their support for Assad in Syria. Surely Iraq was poorly thought out, but it makes sense given how frightened we were after 9/11 and how we wanted to be on offense more than we were capable of doing in Afghanistan.

If the only thing you think the US has done over the last 13 years where foreign policy is concerned is invade Iraq, then you understand so little of international relations as to be pointless to engage on the subject.

The US state is broke, and Americans have the largest debt in the known world. Their economic supremacy rests on a bubble of air, and your situation is in fact incredibly fragile, since the real economy has now fled into Asia.
    Should China ask the US to settle the debt they have contracted in Asia, your nation would instantly go into bankrupcy just like Argentina or Greece.
    And one day, it will happen. Sooner than what you think, unfortunately.
    We are the reserve currency, the world has much more faith in our economy than China's.

As long as we don't fuck up too horribly bad, which we shouldn't, we're going to be fine.

As China's economy improves the cost to make goods there increases, how much longer can they grow at the rate they have been before the rest of the second and third world completely undercuts them, and production shifts from China to other Asian (and maybe South American and African) nations. Globalization is a bitch, and outsourcing is the price of success.

The closer they get to us, the harder to grow it becomes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I could mention Germany's, ehm, problematic history but that would be too easy.

Let's see...

The only OECD country where a child's family's social status has an even greater influence on it's chances to get a decent education is Mexico. and the social polarization is getting bigger.

Germans tend to be very proud of how modest they are ("we're world champions in low jingoism") but that pretend modesty is a transparent facade.

Due to our history we have developed a preference for solving everything through either sitting it out or reaching a foul temporary compromise which means that very little ever gets done.

Have you ever seen German carnival? People organized in clubs, following a strict protocol to have fun once a year according to schedule and laugh when the orchestra gives a signal that you have apparently just heard a joke...

After a few years of living here my Spanish ex stopped mocking the Germans for running out to sunbath every time there is a little bit of summer weather and started joining them. The weather is generally meh.

Germans prefer their nature neat and orderly and within reach of the autobahn or a comfortable lodge. They freak out when it threatens to become uncontrolable. There is also very little nature left as almost every square meter has been developed and settled.

This selfproclaimed nation of engineers is often highly pro-nature and anti-technology or even anti-science.

We like to think of ourselves as anti-militaristic and peaceful but love to export weapons to the highest bidder no matter how much blood they might have on their hands.

Germans prefer cheap shitty food to mid-priced healthy food. In the words of Dylan Moran "German food is so bad, even Hitler was a vegetarian."
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Germans prefer their nature neat and orderly and within reach of the autobahn or a comfortable lodge. They freak out when it threatens to become uncontrolable. There is also very little nature left as almost every square meter has been developed and settled.
    While I love the wilderness and would hate for it to be gone, what I've seen to Germany also has a certain appeal to it. From photos, as well as scanning around on Google maps. it appears to me that outside of the handful of major cities, Germany has a surprisingly even spacing of farm field and small towns in a way that just doesn't quite exist in the USA.

I don't know, it's a bit hard to explain what I mean.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    While I love the wilderness and would hate for it to be gone, what I've seen to Germany also has a certain appeal to it. From photos, as well as scanning around on Google maps. it appears to me that outside of the handful of major cities, Germany has a surprisingly even spacing of farm field and small towns in a way that just doesn't quite exist in the USA.

I don't know, it's a bit hard to explain what I mean.
    Yeah, I know what you mean - but that even distribution also means that a) there is no true metropolis in the cultural sense and b) there are no large open spaces, national parks tend to be small.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Hahaha, leave it to DiscoBiscuit to shit all over a thread with "UHMURRICA, FUCK YEAH!"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Germans prefer cheap shitty food to mid-priced healthy food. In the words of Dylan Moran "German food is so bad, even Hitler was a vegetarian."
    This sounds like more of an American failing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...