User Tag List

Default Berlusconi sentenced

http://news.ie.msn.com/berlusconi-se...er-rubygate-20

What do you think about the Berlusconi sentence?

I've heard some interesting conservative commentary on this, when I say conservative commentary it is the political and social establishment perhaps rather than ideological pundits or commentators specifically, which has suggested that this an illustration of how corrupt and in crisis our institutions are.

Similar commentary was made in the UK recently about the amount of revelations there had been about corruption, illegal activity and cover ups at every single level of society, the police, celebrities, church, politicians, financial institutions, media. The thing is that that was exactly the case but I didnt think that anyone had really looked at it that way, it was quite systemic and totalising but since things were still running people didnt really notice and maybe wouldnt have noticed or paid much attention anyway. In the UK there has been a tendency to try to create panic or public concern because it historically benefited the conservative or right wing candidates in politics.

I'm a little more optimistic though, I think this is to do with accountability and could even be a sign that things are getting better, some of these scandals and definitely the behaviour of Berlusconi was very, very brazen, shameless and cavalier in extremis, its not exactly Caligula and I know it made him popular with some of the Italian electorate, ironically, but this proves there are consequences and power, status and wealth are not going to stop that.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I can't help but wonder if it truely is justice at work or if there's a political agenda pulling the strings.

Now, I don't give a rats ass about Berlusconi and even if he didn't have sex with that girl, there's probably other things he has done that would illicit punishment. But, even though I hardly have followed this trial closely, from what I have read it seems that a ruling would have, or should have, been unlikely.

But that's all I'm going to say about that, like I said, I haven't exactly followed the whole thing from the start so this is just my uncommited and unarguemented opinion about the situation based on the little information I do have.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I can't help but wonder if it truely is justice at work or if there's a political agenda pulling the strings.

Now, I don't give a rats ass about Berlusconi and even if he didn't have sex with that girl, there's probably other things he has done that would illicit punishment. But, even though I hardly have followed this trial closely, from what I have read it seems that a ruling would have, or should have, been unlikely.

But that's all I'm going to say about that, like I said, I haven't exactly followed the whole thing from the start so this is just my uncommited and unarguemented opinion about the situation based on the little information I do have.
    What other political agenda do you suspect? I'm not sure of the whole political story to do with him specifically, I just choose it because it seemed to reflect the question of accountability I was thinking about and was more recent than the scandals in the UK.

The judgment is only going to stand if he does not appeal, which he is likely to do. But it is a good sign that they have come at least this far.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What other political agenda do you suspect? I'm not sure of the whole political story to do with him specifically, I just choose it because it seemed to reflect the question of accountability I was thinking about and was more recent than the scandals in the UK.
    Well, to answer you would require me to delve further in this topic than I originally intended to. But here's my thoughts. :P

I am probably the opposite of a conspiracy theorist and even when skeptic, I always lean on the rational side without drawing conclusions out of my ass. And even when it comes to the ideals of justice (proper justice), I am not so naïve to think it's the best way to deal with corruption. But in the long term, it is the only way we have that does not lead to some sort of direct or indirect victimization.

This particular process seems biased to me, and the ruling itself unfair (wether or not he is deserving of it, is besides the point, in fact, I'm pretty sure he does deserve it). But the case is anything but solid. However due to Berlusconi's immunities, he has evaded many a corruptoin charge before. It's almost like this is the only way, and chance, there is to punish him for anything it seems, so I can't help but wonder if the ruling is influenced and biased. Which essentially makes it unjust.

I doubt that the fact that Berlusconi is somehow deserving of 'a punishment' in itself would be reason enough for anyone with power to influence this particular ruling (if there really is a forced bias behind the ruling, these thoughts are after all hypothetical. I don't exactly have or claim to have any evidence to support my thoughts). But it might make sense to me if it is more like a means to ease public unrest and possible win political favor for future elections or any other hidden agenda one might be able to come up with.

It wouldn't be the first time that there has been political influences pulling strings behind scenes in order to sway the general public opinion to go from either right to left or vice versa. Promoting change after a period of unrest is after all much easier than doing so after a period of stability. In fact, during periods of stability, public stances on wether to be left or right are rarily changing.

But like I said, that's far more than I even cared to share in the first place about this. Because I do not consider myself to be anything like an expert on this particular matter. The truth is I know quite little. I know Berlusconi is a ruthless business man who has meddled in his fair share of corruptions. His ascension to politics also came at a quite suspicious timing in terms of him being able to avoid several persecutions. And that his many scandals, even if not all of them might be correct, are of such quantity that there is likely to be truth behind them. But justice shouldn't operate on such assumptions. If it does/did in this case, I find it to be quite troubling, whatever the intentions or agenda's that are behind it.

It is just an intuitive suspicion. Nothing more. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Good lord, finally.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The judgment is only going to stand if he does not appeal, which he is likely to do. But it is a good sign that they have come at least this far.
    My impression of the Italian legal system up to this point is that it is all men in suits retorting "nuh-uh!" and "yuh-huh!" to each other, with those two phrases actually carrying significant but mutually exclusive legal ramifications.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My impression of the Italian legal system up to this point is that it is all men in suits retorting "nuh-uh!" and "yuh-huh!" to each other, with those two phrases actually carrying significant but mutually exclusive legal ramifications.
    It's not like the other legal systems are that different, when it comes to sentencing powerful people.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's not like the other legal systems are that different, when it comes to sentencing powerful people.
    precisely.

i'm happy (of course), but what really annoys me about this is at in the end the legal system got him for his personal behaviour instead of his political and business behaviour like judge corruption, political corruption and alas the scandal of the tv channels. this is annoying because the man is found guilty, but the political figure is still immaculate. :/