MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Riot Clowns Charge Jack-Booted Thugs at G8

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I bet the global elites and international mafias are scared...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I bet the global elites and international mafias are scared...
    Isn't this your home town?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

No, its definitely not and a lot of these groups are "honey traps" by the security forces in any case. Lets not forget the whole "protest warrior" thing from a few years back, I dont know whether or not the stories that it was organised or supported by US intelligence sources are true.

Rioting in my part of the world is not something that anyone whose not already been badly traumatised or whose not from a pretty narrow section of society is going to be involved in.

To be honest my sympathies are with the security forces who have to try and police it, they're expected to try and maintain order when chavs or middle class demonstrators want disorder and because the prevailing norms of society are liberal and paternalistic they have to operate with a care for the people who they are being often viciously attacked by. Its crazy.

A long list of platitudes followed by a lot of people dressed stupidly and providing annoyance to police officers, failing to provoke the sorts of reaction they are hopeful for, isnt going to change a whole lot or make anyone sympathetic to their cause. Although its not really about that, I dont think it has been for a while, its all been about the demonstrators themselves, a sort of lifestyle choice like going to a gig.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

No, its definitely not and a lot of these groups are "honey traps" by the security forces in any case. Lets not forget the whole "protest warrior" thing from a few years back, I dont know whether or not the stories that it was organised or supported by US intelligence sources are true.

Rioting in my part of the world is not something that anyone whose not already been badly traumatised or whose not from a pretty narrow section of society is going to be involved in.

To be honest my sympathies are with the security forces who have to try and police it, they're expected to try and maintain order when chavs or middle class demonstrators want disorder and because the prevailing norms of society are liberal and paternalistic they have to operate with a care for the people who they are being often viciously attacked by. Its crazy.

A long list of platitudes followed by a lot of people dressed stupidly and providing annoyance to police officers, failing to provoke the sorts of reaction they are hopeful for, isnt going to change a whole lot or make anyone sympathetic to their cause. Although its not really about that, I dont think it has been for a while, its all been about the demonstrators themselves, a sort of lifestyle choice like going to a gig.
    They succeeded in shutting down the recruitment office.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    They succeeded in shutting down the recruitment office.
    Yup, world changing events.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't really understand what exactly these people are protesting at these offices. Globalization seems like a really vague thing to protest. I asked someone who was into these demonstrations once what it was about, and I just got vague answers. Something about "not having a say", but even that message never really shows up in the demonstrations.

There are indeed people out there for whom "being an activist" is essentially a hobby.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't really understand what exactly these people are protesting at these offices. Globalization seems like a really vague thing to protest. I asked someone who was into these demonstrations once what it was about, and I just got vague answers. Something about "not having a say", but even that message never really shows up in the demonstrations.

There are indeed people out there for whom "being an activist" is essentially a hobby.
    I think this is typical and its been lampooned well by people like Matt and Tray Parker in South Park (when they had the song "being an activist is totally gay").

The extreme vagary is what gets me, its like a niche group or scene what the non-initiates will never understand or have an insight into, which is the opposite of the democratic and participatory idea that they front most of the time.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The extreme vagary is what gets me, its like a niche group or scene what the non-initiates will never understand or have an insight into, which is the opposite of the democratic and participatory idea that they front most of the time.
    Yes! Not to mention the long laundry list of things you need to do and believe to be a real activist.. there's even a diet! There's also the constant criticism of people who actually get shit done as "reformists" or as "only being in it for the power." They engage in theater, and somehow, they think that's enough to change things. They never actually do anything other than engage in theater, but they criticize individuals and organizations that actually do things for not having enough ideological purity.

(In case anyone can't tell, I have some personal experience. )
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yes! Not to mention the long laundry list of things you need to do and believe to be a real activist.. there's even a diet! There's also the constant criticism of people who actually get shit done as "reformists" or as "only being in it for the power." They engage in theater, and somehow, they think that's enough to change things. They never actually do anything other than engage in theater, but they criticize individuals and organizations that actually do things for not having enough ideological purity.

(In case anyone can't tell, I have some personal experience. )
    Yeah, same here, I remember my first major clash with the purists of the anarchist movement over their definitions of anarchy and how it boiled down, pretty much, to a "significantly more radical than you" contest, much like middle class social climbers "significantly richer than you" contests, and both seemed to involve conspicious behaviour or consumer lifestyles more than anything else.

The book "Rebel Sell", which attacked the radical anti-globalists of the nineties for professing complex and vague creedos in contrast to more mundane struggles surrounding defending existing welfare and wealth redistributive concessions, I think is spot on. There's just a few fair criticisms of it and most of them are to do with vision and motivation.

Its interesting to me because a lot of people who are only superficially acquainted with my thinking about politics will be pretty dismissive of my thinking as unreflective, emotive, reactionary but I've pretty much read every single source and author in the entire left wing lexicon from when I was about fourteen or earlier. I then read a lot of the very good underground magazine material which came out of what happened in the early to mid ninties in the UK, the changes which brought about "new labour" also had their parallel in radical circles.

I remember someone refering to it as the "left over left, left behind left and left out left", its only half a joke. The amount of stuff I've read about how much of the left wing activity in the UK protest scenes in nineties from the McLibel trial, anti-fascist action, roads protests, reclaim the streets and afterwards, was actually one way or another influenced by police infiltrators directly or indirectly is shocking. Its pretty Orwellian. Although besides being Orwellian it's shocking how much the government appears to have been fine with taxes beind squandered in this way on obscure and pointless left navel gazers.