User Tag List

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nestlé CEO Peter Brabeck - Water Is Not A Human Right

Senior Member Array

You better not complain about your tap water. If you do, you might be a terrorist.

it certainly is not a corporate right for it to be monopolized.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

I think he makes a very good point in that water should have a market value and as one of the most important raw materials on this world to be used as an economic stimulant.

Of course no one should ever be without water, and that's not what he wants either. There will always be ways to get water to people that can't afford it through benefits in a social governing structure for example, and many other ways to achieve that without destroying the market value of water to those that can afford.

Making water essentially free for everyone (including people that can pay for it), is nothing short of an economic disaster.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    4 sx/sp
    INFp None

This is asking for revolt. This is when people are pushed too far with nothing to lose.

Edit: These are the arguments that make me start to think that Capitalism is evil at its core. It is dehumanizing and denies all human rights.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I wish more people could see the Broadway musical, Urinetown. This thread keeps bringing it to mind, more and more.

(for context, I highly recommend clicking the hyperlink/reading the full plot synopsis)
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    ILE None

things are rights because you pay for them.

By which I mean if you maintain a system through accepting a set of rules, paying taxes etc. ... then fine it's a right. however I dont really think the term human right is more than a pretty ideal thrown at the face of people who do not take the effort to actually understand the system they are in, its history etc. It's marketing for the masses basically, sold and packaged by people who do not need to believe in these ideals and methods but simply need selling them.

No, water is not a human right, it is only so if the humans in question live in a society (and accept the rules of that specific society) that makes it so.
    Calling it a universal doesn't make it so.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Proper netiquette is to at least post a summary and some sort of personal reflection with the video in OP...

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You better not complain about your tap water. If you do, you might be a terrorist.
    It's the next logical step in the expansion of the definition of terrorism. Couple that with every single thing we do being recorded by the government, in a generation any complaint against the government, related entity, or corporation (ie. food libel laws) could land you in a place like Guantanamo.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Other than the fact that all of the freest, wealthiest nations on the planet are some form of a representative democracy?
    Could there be a connection?
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)

I cannot watch the video cause I lack bandwith to do so...

Water is a public good - but the not so utopic fact is that it takes a lot of effort to provide people with clean water.

The Roman's saw that building water supplies helped to increase the population and industry, but building all those aquaducts took money stolen from conquered territories and was built with many, many slaves.

Someone pays for it.

Clean water has been a commodity for as long as people have formed dirty settlements to live in.

Currently I'm drinking water from local springs that run 24 hours a day, probably for the last few centuries. No filters. Low density living. Thanks, cars.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.