First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

http://www.wsp.org/featuresevents/fe...r-supply-india

"Since the 1950’s national and state governments in India have invested more than US$40 billion to expand water services to rural communities. By 2009 they had almost reached universal coverage for more than 850 million people in 1.6 million habitations, but service delivery has been slipping. Now more than 500,000 habitations get less than 40 liters of water per person per day, which was the government standard for adequate service prior to 2009."

$40 billion invested, and the Indian government still can't get it right.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Because I don't believe in the privatization of water? If that would make everything awesome, do you like dealing with your cable company? I work at a large company, and I assure you, we are as inefficient as any government.

The response is usually something along the lines of the fact that we aren't living in a true free-market society. This reminds me of how Marxists say that true Communism has never been implemented. ("No true scotsman", I suppose.)

Marxism and libertarianism have a lot in common. The assumption that things would suddenly become more efficient and logical if we were to privatize everything is likely to turn out as well as the dictatorship of the proletariat.

I understand why Marxism and libertarianism are attractive to NTs, because they suggest that if a system were implemented, all problems would go away.

That doesn't make them useful in the actual world. They're the political equivalent of a blueprint for a really cool spaceship that can't actually fly, at best.
    I'm sorry to hear that your large company is as inefficient as any government. Is your company 16 trillion dollars in debt too?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Wow. I said that the absence of water will kill a human being, which is about as closed to a scientific fact as you'll get. That statement is not even close to stating that all water is used for drinking.
    See what happens when you take memes literally?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Our tap water back at home isn't potable. We have to boil and filter it ourselves. We'd get seriously sick if we didn't.

I still feel surprised when see people buying crates of bottled water here in the US. Why? The tap water is JUST FINE here. It seems really bizarre to me.
    It's because bottled water is supposed to be some kind of health magic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's because bottled water is supposed to be some kind of health magic.
    We don't like the taste of our tap water. I'd rather pay for cheap bottled water than drink that shit that comes from our taps.

Water comes from nature. Anytime people don't respect nature, it makes life more difficult for them, and they have to rely more on other people and civilized infrastructure. Things get complicated. People are then further removed from nature and the source of the water. What you don't know personally, or ever see or even know about gets less respect. It's an endless, spiraling cycle of disrespect.

At one time, obtaining water was simple: go to where you see it, give thanks for it, and respect it by not polluting it. Now it's so complicated that we need a sophisticated infrastructure to obtain the water and make it safe to drink. But, is it really safe to drink, or are we just blindly trusting the person who says it is?

Will we continue building larger and more sophisticated and expensive water enterprises? Things will only get worse. The only root-cause solution is to go back to what really works. Fixing a wrong is difficult. It's much easier to fix the negative effects of the wrong, but it doesn't make the wrong right, nor does it entirely circumvent the consequences.

Am I a water expert? Yes, I am. My credentials are that I drink unfiltered, untreated water in untouched wilderness areas. I am slowly learning the ancient knowledge we have collectively forgotten. The truth and usefulness of knowledge cannot be judged by its age.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    We don't like the taste of our tap water. I'd rather pay for cheap bottled water than drink that shit that comes from our taps.
    Bottled Water - Wikipedia

Go to the section on bottled water vs tap water. It's vastly more expensive, no healthier, not dependably different in flavor, requires considerably more energy to produce and makes wasteful plastic containers. Buying bottled water is just pretty stupid.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tap water does taste different depending on the place, so I understand that people might dislike it in some places and go for bottled water instead. But I've met far too many people here who wouldn't even dream of consuming it and actually think it's bad for you, and that just seems so stupid to me.

Also, what @JAVO said.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Water comes from nature. Anytime people don't respect nature, it makes life more difficult for them, and they have to rely more on other people and civilized infrastructure. Things get complicated. People are then further removed from nature and the source of the water. What you don't know personally, or ever see or even know about gets less respect. It's an endless, spiraling cycle of disrespect.

At one time, obtaining water was simple: go to where you see it, give thanks for it, and respect it by not polluting it. Now it's so complicated that we need a sophisticated infrastructure to obtain the water and make it safe to drink. But, is it really safe to drink, or are we just blindly trusting the person who says it is?

Will we continue building larger and more sophisticated and expensive water enterprises? Things will only get worse. The only root-cause solution is to go back to what really works. Fixing a wrong is difficult. It's much easier to fix the negative effects of the wrong, but it doesn't make the wrong right, nor does it entirely circumvent the consequences.

Am I a water expert? Yes, I am. My credentials are that I drink unfiltered, untreated water in untouched wilderness areas. I am slowly learning the ancient knowledge we have collectively forgotten. The truth and usefulness of knowledge cannot be judged by its age.
    Deer piss.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Bottled Water - Wikipedia

Go to the section on bottled water vs tap water. It's vastly more expensive, no healthier, not dependably different in flavor, requires considerably more energy to produce and makes wasteful plastic containers. Buying bottled water is just pretty stupid.
    I don't WANT to buy bottled water. But our tap water tastes yucky.